The Student Room Group

Lying to my tutor about my alevels

After my alevels which I admittedly due to a few personal issues did not really revise for as well I should have. I decided to work during the summer, save up enough money, hire a tutor and resit my exams. However I did sort of bend the truth in regards to my grades to my tutors, I got a D in my alevels.. But I told my tutor that I got a C out of fear that they wouldn't take me seriously because I really wanna do well. Will my tutor ever feel the need to mention my old grades in regards to references or ever find out my old alevel grades on UCAS perhaps? . I know this may sound stupid but any advice would be appreciated.
I don't see why saying one grade higher should come back to bite you, it might have helped the tutor a bit more in terms of knowing where you are though
Original post by amber2106
After my alevels which I admittedly due to a few personal issues did not really revise for as well I should have. I decided to work during the summer, save up enough money, hire a tutor and resit my exams. However I did sort of bend the truth in regards to my grades to my tutors, I got a D in my alevels.. But I told my tutor that I got a C out of fear that they wouldn't take me seriously because I really wanna do well. Will my tutor ever feel the need to mention my old grades in regards to references or ever find out my old alevel grades on UCAS perhaps? . I know this may sound stupid but any advice would be appreciated.

I would have asked for your exam papers to help focus help. How would your tutor have access to UCAS though?

Who is writing your reference for your UCAS application? If it's your tutor then surely he's going to see that you actually got a D rather than the C that you told him about?
Reply 4
Original post by Reality Check
Who is writing your reference for your UCAS application? If it's your tutor then surely he's going to see that you actually got a D rather than the C that you told him about?

I am individual applicant, have different tutors, so I am resitting my exams and my predicted grades are now different anyway. My law tutor has agreed to write me a reference. But do u think there is anyway they would find out my old grades.
(edited 4 years ago)
I am individual applicant, have different tutors, so I am resitting my exams and my predicted grades are now different anyway. My law tutor has agreed to write me a reference. But do u think there is anyway they would find out my old grades.

Yes, they will see your UCAS application before they attach the reference.

They will likely figure out you lied assume you were embarrassed, not bring it up in person.

Your reference likely wont recite your prior grades as these will already be on the application form, but everyone will see them.
Original post by Muttley79
I would have asked for your exam papers to help focus help.

However, many wannabe tutors are only interested in grabbing the student's money, so won't ask, and don't care about previous grades. In fact, there are no shortage of snake oil salesman who will guarantee to turn a U into an A*.
Original post by David Getling
However, many wannabe tutors are only interested in grabbing the student's money, so won't ask, and don't care about previous grades. In fact, there are no shortage of snake oil salesman who will guarantee to turn a U into an A*.

This,

and many tutors are just uni students who even if they are well meaning might not be competent, big difference between being an excellent student and an excellent tutor.
Original post by mnot
This,

and many tutors are just uni students who even if they are well meaning might not be competent, big difference between being an excellent student and an excellent tutor.

I don't know what the "This," and empty line is meant to mean, but the rest is correct. In fact there are several tutoring companies whose whole business model is predicated on conning parents into believing that university students will do a great job. One even pushes online tuition as the answer to today's families busy lives, when tutoring in person is vastly more efficient and superior.
Original post by David Getling
I don't know what the "This," and empty line is meant to mean, but the rest is correct. In fact there are several tutoring companies whose whole business model is predicated on conning parents into believing that university students will do a great job. One even pushes online tuition as the answer to today's families busy lives, when tutoring in person is vastly more efficient and superior.

I was referencing the quote of yours being spot on, ie I agree with it. Perhaps it was ambiguous as i put another message underneath.
Original post by mnot
I was referencing the quote of yours being spot on, ie I agree with it. Perhaps it was ambiguous as i put another message underneath.

Sadly it's even worse than this. A good number of those advertising their services lie through their teeth. One (among many) of my favourites is this dude claiming a Master's degree in Physics from Oxford University, a PhD in quantum computers, and lots more in his profile. But then you think, why would this superstar be tutoring, instead of in a highly paid, interesting, and demanding job?

Then there are the reviews. Isn't strange how some of them seem so similar, even down to the bad English. And even more remarkable is how the same review sometimes ends up on more than one tutoring agency's website.

they cant see your grades if they write a reference, i didnt want my referee to know my grades (not that he asked or cared it was just out of embarrassment) so i phoned UCAS and they reassured me and told me that they cant see them lol
Original post by jake_peralta
they cant see your grades if they write a reference, i didnt want my referee to know my grades (not that he asked or cared it was just out of embarrassment) so i phoned UCAS and they reassured me and told me that they cant see them lol

Well, whomever reassurred you was incorrect...

https://www.ucas.com/advisers/references/how-write-ucas-undergraduate-references

Referees are asked to read the "entire" application beofre writing the reference, so they know what has already been included and the career aims/aspirations etc. They are also asked to make refernce to any mitigating circumstances as to why grades might be lower than expected etc. On a separate note, why would you have been embarrassed about your grades @jake_peralta - I thought you had applied for medicine, so assumably must have pretty high GCSE/predicted A levels?
That’s only if you apply with your school, if you apply individually all they get is an email asking them to write a reference
Original post by jake_peralta
That’s only if you apply with your school, if you apply individually all they get is an email asking them to write a reference

Actually that guidance is for ALL referees (school/college and individual).

Quick Reply

Latest