The Student Room Group

My school is lying

I've spent 6 years at my school and I've only just found out that we don't recycle. Yes there are recycling bins dotted around the school but they're purely aesthetic (they give a good impression to the visitors) as both are put in the same bin liner when they aren't filled and head to the same bin. We don't have a proper recycling bin where people come to collect the recyclables.
Original post by Edenaciel
I've spent 6 years at my school and I've only just found out that we don't recycle. Yes there are recycling bins dotted around the school but they're purely aesthetic (they give a good impression to the visitors) as both are put in the same bin liner when they aren't filled and head to the same bin. We don't have a proper recycling bin where people come to collect the recyclables.

Any evidence?
Reply 2
Original post by Jack22031994
Any evidence?

Not physically but it can be easily acquired. Take a video of the caretaker who mixes the two bins in front of us everyday after lunch. I work in the school council so I have had some deputy heads admit to it. The actual lack of a recycling bin on campus.
Reply 3
Not physically but it can be easily acquired. Take a video of the caretaker who mixes the two bins in front of us everyday after lunch. I work in the school council so I have had some deputy heads admit to it. The actual lack of a recycling bin on campus.

Recycling bins as in the bin where it gets collected. We have plenty of fake ones.

Recycling bins as in the bin where it gets collected. We have plenty of fake ones.

are they ‘fake’ or is the caretaker not doing his job properly? Two different things
Reply 5
Original post by Jack22031994
are they ‘fake’ or is the caretaker not doing his job properly? Two different things

Considering the fact that we literally do not have a recycling bin for any recycling to take place and only a trash bin suggests this is more than the caretakers fault. I've rounded the school many times and I can confirm this. I've also got verbal confirmation by the deputy heads but no one's doing anything. I'm not risking expulsion for this just when I'm about to leave but surely there is something I could do.

You could create a petition and try to apply pressure on school management to recycle, tbh im not sure theyll care tho, its probably some weird reason like the council cant collect it or something (just speculation) but in 2020 you would think a school should recycle considering the amount of paper & plastic you probably go through.
My school used to do this, sadly I think it's quite common :sadnod:
Reply 8
Original post by Lemur14
My school used to do this, sadly I think it's quite common :sadnod:

Yup! My school keeps ignoring the school reps whenever they bring up recycling; we dump all waste into black bags even substitute teachers and visitors talk about it; my school is nearly broke, but they waste money on new signs and doors when we don't need it.
Considering the fact that we literally do not have a recycling bin for any recycling to take place and only a trash bin suggests this is more than the caretakers fault. I've rounded the school many times and I can confirm this. I've also got verbal confirmation by the deputy heads but no one's doing anything. I'm not risking expulsion for this just when I'm about to leave but surely there is something I could do.

You could organise a fundraiser and then give the money to the pta to buy a big recycling bin
This may come as a surprise to you but many places that generate large amounts a refuse use mixed or commingled recycling systems where some poor guy has to sort through all the rubbish off site to separate the recyclables.

https://www.viridor.co.uk/recycling/mixed/
Reply 11
Our school did the same thing! (Disclaimer: I live in Hong Kong so this may not be totally applicable) What I did with my school's environmental group of about 4 members was that we collected the recycling ourselves, so we'd empty the recycling bins and collect all the stuff. Then at the end of this week, we would put them on carts and wheel them about 15 minutes down the road to a recycling plant for it to be processed. After a couple of weeks of doing this, the people who worked at the plant offered to come to pick up the recycling from our school when they were going to other businesses so the cleaners could just leave the recycling by the exit. By taking your own initiative you might gain some more support and get the school to actually do something.
Why not suggest they contatct someone like terracycle who recycle drinks cans and crisp packets - they actually pay the school for them....?!! There are also companies who take second hand clothes away (not school uniform) so you could become a centre for collection of one of those - they pay by the kilo. These are effective fundraisers for a school. I organised for my school to collect foreign exchange every half term and holiday and we send that off to a company that pays us for it - raises a few hundred pounds a year - all adds up when budgets are stretched!
That’s not your problem lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending