The Student Room Group

Jobs and A levels

I know that the grades themselves may matter, but does it matter as to what subjects you do in specific for certain jobs, or does the degree you do over rule that?
Original post by randomquestion
I know that the grades themselves may matter, but does it matter as to what subjects you do in specific for certain jobs, or does the degree you do over rule that?

It really depends, if you have a relevant degree that will be more important but to do that degree you may need specific a levels so indirectly you will need to have certain a levels to do a particular job :smile:
Original post by Emily~3695
It really depends, if you have a relevant degree that will be more important but to do that degree you may need specific a levels so indirectly you will need to have certain a levels to do a particular job :smile:

Yes indeed.
But to do biological sciences, I don’t need chemistry for the unis I have looked up, only maths and bio(there was a choice between maths/chem and physics). Would you then say I’m lowering my chances of getting into a job if I don’t do chem, even if I do get a degree in biological sciences?
Yes indeed.
But to do biological sciences, I don’t need chemistry for the unis I have looked up, only maths and bio(there was a choice between maths/chem and physics). Would you then say I’m lowering my chances of getting into a job if I don’t do chem, even if I do get a degree in biological sciences?

If you have a relevant degree then you should be fine as long as you get a 2:1 or above as your degree will be more important, what kind of job do you want to go into as this may affect whether you need chemistry :smile:
If you have a relevant degree then you should be fine as long as you get a 2:1 or above as your degree will be more important, what kind of job do you want to go into as this may affect whether you need chemistry :smile:

Cell biologist / microbiologist?
Cell biologist / microbiologist?

You should be fine if you have a degree although I think a microbiology degree might be more useful than biological sciences as this will make it easier for you to get a job in this field :smile:
You should be fine if you have a degree although I think a microbiology degree might be more useful than biological sciences as this will make it easier for you to get a job in this field :smile:

Thank you!
What jobs require chem?
Thank you!
What jobs require chem?

Jobs that require degrees that require chemistry. So that’s most medicine and chemistry degrees, which you’d need to become a doctor or a chemical researcher. Worth noting that not all medicine degrees require chemistry, but most do

Quick Reply

Latest