The Student Room Group

comparative literature vs english literature degree

I absolutely love studying literature so I don’t know which degree to take because I know I’ll probably prefer comparative literature because I don’t want to be restricted to just english language literature. That being said I don’t want to choose comparative literature if it is much less valued than english literature especially as the university I want to go to (St. Andrews) requires higher grades for english literature which indicates it is a ‘better’ degree. I am going to be pairing either one with either philosophy or classics (which I am also torn between aahhh). Any ideas?
Neither. Both are useless. STEM or apprenticeship. I know hundreds of arts graduates who regret their degree, are unemployed or are underemployed.

Getting an English Literature degree might sound fun when you’re 17 but it won’t get you a job when you’re 22 and in £50,000 of debt for a degree that, let’s be honest here, doesn’t open up a whole lotta doors.
Original post by Thisismyunitsr
Neither. Both are useless. STEM or apprenticeship. I know hundreds of arts graduates who regret their degree, are unemployed or are underemployed.

Getting an English Literature degree might sound fun when you’re 17 but it won’t get you a job when you’re 22 and in £50,000 of debt for a degree that, let’s be honest here, doesn’t open up a whole lotta doors.

Yeah I understand that but I’m not going to uni to facilitate getting a job because I really love learning and my dream job is to be an academic in literature. In addition I have decided that while it might be costly I’ll take a postgrad in my career if choice if I change it but for now I am very set on going to uni to learn more about the subjects I get so much joy from learning about now and I can’t imagine stopping that learning I’d regret it so much.
Original post by lizzyh123321
Yeah I understand that but I’m not going to uni to facilitate getting a job because I really love learning and my dream job is to be an academic in literature. In addition I have decided that while it might be costly I’ll take a postgrad in my career if choice if I change it but for now I am very set on going to uni to learn more about the subjects I get so much joy from learning about now and I can’t imagine stopping that learning I’d regret it so much.

A job is more important than a degree
That's a matter of opinion. Especially if OP wants to go into a career in academia, in which case the degree is probably more important. There's no need to be rude- OP sought advice on a select group of options, so throwing in your own opinion on the Arts VS STEM debate doesn't help too much. And as OP said, there's always postgrad. Choosing a degree IS NOT a be-all-and-end-all.Anyway, back to the issue at hand. I stumbled upon this thread because I was looking for threads relating to English Lit. I've applied for English Lit at Glasgow, Strathclyde and Stirling, and had 2/3 offers back (still waiting on Glasgow which is where I'm aiming to go). I'm not sure of the entry requirements for St As, but I think English Literature might stand you in better stead for the future than Comparative, though that's just my view on it. I think overall E Lit is more renowned than C Lit, but if you're planning to teach in the future, I suppose both are equally plausible. But if you really don't want to limit yourself just to the English stuff, I'd say go for it! At the end of the day only you can make the decision :smile:Please don't feel pressured to go into STEM subjects. I know how it feels to doubt your skillset in the Arts, but they're just as important culturally as sciences and tech. What matters is you living according to your principles and your passions, and whatever type of literature you choose to study, I know you'll do great!Best of luck, K
Original post by Kat_Artistry
That's a matter of opinion. Especially if OP wants to go into a career in academia, in which case the degree is probably more important. There's no need to be rude- OP sought advice on a select group of options, so throwing in your own opinion on the Arts VS STEM debate doesn't help too much. And as OP said, there's always postgrad. Choosing a degree IS NOT a be-all-and-end-all.Anyway, back to the issue at hand. I stumbled upon this thread because I was looking for threads relating to English Lit. I've applied for English Lit at Glasgow, Strathclyde and Stirling, and had 2/3 offers back (still waiting on Glasgow which is where I'm aiming to go). I'm not sure of the entry requirements for St As, but I think English Literature might stand you in better stead for the future than Comparative, though that's just my view on it. I think overall E Lit is more renowned than C Lit, but if you're planning to teach in the future, I suppose both are equally plausible. But if you really don't want to limit yourself just to the English stuff, I'd say go for it! At the end of the day only you can make the decision :smile:Please don't feel pressured to go into STEM subjects. I know how it feels to doubt your skillset in the Arts, but they're just as important culturally as sciences and tech. What matters is you living according to your principles and your passions, and whatever type of literature you choose to study, I know you'll do great!Best of luck, K

Thank you! This was really kind and helpful
Original post by lizzyh123321
Thank you! This was really kind and helpful

No problem, it was my pleasure :smile: hope things work out for you! X
Original post by Thisismyunitsr

Um have you actually researched the amount of job opportunities an English degree could get you?? Dont be one of those who thinks this is a useless degree because you can do so much with it and it helps those who are unsure of their career path to have a more broad outlook as there are multiple jobs that look for English degrees and find them USEFUL!!!
Yeah my friend did a chemistry degree 3 years ago and still can't find permanent employment so *shrugs*

I did an English and Education degree and I don't regret it :smile: and I'm now on an MA English Lit course. Go for what you want to do :smile: There's no point in doing something if you aren't passionate about it-university would be HELL.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending