The Student Room Group

Moving universities

I’m currently studying my first year in University. I’m really enjoying my course, however I’m not enjoying the university at all. I’m studying at the university of Derby but at the rural Buxton campus. There’s nothing to do here, no night life and no student bars. Which is why I’m not enjoying it. Am I able to pursue my course or a similar course for my second year at a different campus?
Original post by m4xlawson123
I’m currently studying my first year in University. I’m really enjoying my course, however I’m not enjoying the university at all. I’m studying at the university of Derby but at the rural Buxton campus. There’s nothing to do here, no night life and no student bars. Which is why I’m not enjoying it. Am I able to pursue my course or a similar course for my second year at a different campus?

Idk about a different campus but in a different university for sure.

so yes, if you ask the universities if they can accept transfers. Just email the universities that you want to go to and ask them if they accept transfers.
Original post by emily_000
Idk about a different campus but in a different university for sure.

so yes, if you ask the universities if they can accept transfers. Just email the universities that you want to go to and ask them if they accept transfers.

Thank you. Yes I supposed to write different university. I enjoy my course it’s just I’m not enjoying at all where I’m located and it’s very frustrating.
Thank you. Yes I supposed to write different university. I enjoy my course it’s just I’m not enjoying at all where I’m located and it’s very frustrating.

Then change university. Find a university where the campus is in the city centre or near the city centre and ask other students about the social life of the university.

I love Buxton - but I don't know if I would have liked it as an 18 year old!

Have a read of https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1781424 for details on how to arrange a transfer.

This is not normal practice in the UK (Unlike the USA where it is very common to transfer). My suggestion (which is probably already occurred to you) is to try and find similar courses (by way of content) at other universities and contact the department directly. Hope that helps. good luck!
Original post by Strawberry2019
This is not normal practice in the UK (Unlike the USA where it is very common to transfer). My suggestion (which is probably already occurred to you) is to try and find similar courses (by way of content) at other universities and contact the department directly. Hope that helps. good luck!

20,000 students do this every year (and that excludes the people who transfer into year 1 or year 3 of a new degree)
Hey,

You can definitely switch University. I've switched courses in the same Uni, which is relatively easy, and I imagine trading to a different University isn't that difficult. It'll take some doing, though, definitely, relocating, new accommodation, new everything, really. It'll be like setting up all over again, which, if you've done once, will know what to expect.

Joshua :biggrin:
Original post by PQ
20,000 students do this every year (and that excludes the people who transfer into year 1 or year 3 of a new degree)

Which is a very small percentage compare to the US 😊

Found this on UCAS
https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/student-life/getting-student-support/changing-or-leaving-your-course#transferring-to-a-course-at-a-different-university-or-college

Quick Reply

Latest