The Student Room Group

Insurance Write Off's

I just need advice really, so I know what to expect in terms of how insurance companies do the whole write off things.

Bought a Mercedes CLA 1 month ago, mid-January. 1 week later, lost control, hit the pavement and went through some bushes, before stopping. Doing damage to the right side bumper ( half of the right side bumper is gone), parking sensor on right side damaged, drivers wheel bent in, and coolant now leaking. These are just things I can see anyway.

Anyway, informed insurance, and so going through the process of claim. it's at the garage at the moment. Last I'd spoken to them, they said it's on the ramp to be looked at again, to establish whether it's repairable...So with that said I am a bit worried they'll decide to write off.

The car is 11 months old ( 1 year-end of Feb 2020) - valued at around £22-£23k. What are the chances the insurance would decide to write it off completely? I've read that an insurance company only does that if repairs exceed 50%-60% of the car value? How true is this with nearly new cars.

If they decide to write off, can I challenge this? And try and convince them to not write off? What is the process, and chances of actually being successful?

I've never made a car claim before, so really all of this is new to me. I would appreciate if anyone can give advice.
Original post by Dann.It
I just need advice really, so I know what to expect in terms of how insurance companies do the whole write off things.

Bought a Mercedes CLA 1 month ago, mid-January. 1 week later, lost control, hit the pavement and went through some bushes, before stopping. Doing damage to the right side bumper ( half of the right side bumper is gone), parking sensor on right side damaged, drivers wheel bent in, and coolant now leaking. These are just things I can see anyway.

Anyway, informed insurance, and so going through the process of claim. it's at the garage at the moment. Last I'd spoken to them, they said it's on the ramp to be looked at again, to establish whether it's repairable...So with that said I am a bit worried they'll decide to write off.

The car is 11 months old ( 1 year-end of Feb 2020) - valued at around £22-£23k. What are the chances the insurance would decide to write it off completely? I've read that an insurance company only does that if repairs exceed 50%-60% of the car value? How true is this with nearly new cars.

If they decide to write off, can I challenge this? And try and convince them to not write off? What is the process, and chances of actually being successful?

I've never made a car claim before, so really all of this is new to me. I would appreciate if anyone can give advice.

I presume this wasn't a first car and first insurance policy?

That 50-60% is ballpark, to say the least. It seems to vary wildly, with sometimes very little damage needed to 'write it off'. You've described a fair bit of damage there,and there will doubtless be more to be discovered. As the car isn't particularly valuable, it could well end up in the Cat C bin. I think it will very much depend on what further damage is found, and the overall bill.

As far as I am aware, there is no mechanism to challenge the insurer's decision to write it off and for them to give you the market value for it. I'll be interested to read if others have found/heard differently.
Reply 2
Original post by Reality Check
I presume this wasn't a first car and first insurance policy?

That 50-60% is ballpark, to say the least. It seems to vary wildly, with sometimes very little damage needed to 'write it off'. You've described a fair bit of damage there,and there will doubtless be more to be discovered. As the car isn't particularly valuable, it could well end up in the Cat C bin. I think it will very much depend on what further damage is found, and the overall bill.

As far as I am aware, there is no mechanism to challenge the insurer's decision to write it off and for them to give you the market value for it. I'll be interested to read if others have found/heard differently.

That would be correct, 3rd car, and 4th policy, with 3 years NCB (which now isn't the case no more).
If you want to keep the car, you could always buy it back off the insurance company and repair it yourself.
Yeah not sure what their damage threshold is, my car was a bit older but they didn't even wait to see it, they decided to write it off in the initial phonecall from my description. They made it clear there was no negotiating their settlement unless I had a cast iron reason. (like they've made a glaring error, wrong car, model ect)

AFAIK You can buy it from the insurance company but not really sure how it works.
Reply 5
Yup, they've written it off, as they've stated it would cost roughly £13.5k for repairs, and their threshold is £15k. And as last post above said, they made it clear that this is their final decision, so I pretty much have to accept what they've offered - which is the whole amount I paid for the car.

Tip; WATCH OUT FOR PAVEMENTS:angel:

Next question;

I'm going to accept their offer...but do I need to contact my finance company to see what the settlement is? Or do I just make a claim with my GAP insurance anyway, and let them deal with it? As I bought the vehicle for 22k. Insurance is paying out 22k, which is going to the finance company. So I'm unsure if that'll cover everything I owe on the finance ( it's literally been 4 weeks today since the finance agreement started).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending