The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry LLB / Senior Status LLB / Accelerated LLB (Law)

Hi everyone,

I couldn't see a thread focussing on graduate entry to LLB alone, hence I decided to create one.

I'm curious to know, how many of you also applied for graduate entry and which universities you chose as your options?

Hoping to get a thread going :h:

Scroll to see replies

This is so nice to see, because honestly I saw nothing about other graduate LLB applicants and wondered if I was making a weird choice by selecting said program! I chose Kent, Leeds, Exeter, QMUL, and Cambridge affiliate status as my 5 graduate LLB choices and really liked all of their program structures. However, some, like Leeds and Cambridge, offered more relevant optional modules for my line of study so they were my top two.
Great to see somebody else who also thought there wasn't much around for graduate entry LLB.

I chose to apply for QM, Southampton, Glasgow, Dundee and SOAS. Southampton is my first choice due to it being the closest one to where I live and factoring in the expenses, it might be best to live closer to home.

Have you already graduated or will you be graduating this year?
Original post by ANDREGEM2020
Great to see somebody else who also thought there wasn't much around for graduate entry LLB.

I chose to apply for QM, Southampton, Glasgow, Dundee and SOAS. Southampton is my first choice due to it being the closest one to where I live and factoring in the expenses, it might be best to live closer to home.

Have you already graduated or will you be graduating this year?

I am a U.S. student who just graduated this December, so luckily all of my offers are unconditional since my grades were solidified. I see that you have two Scottish schools on there as well. Do you have a preference between Scots law and English?
Original post by jger_rams2019
I am a U.S. student who just graduated this December, so luckily all of my offers are unconditional since my grades were solidified. I see that you have two Scottish schools on there as well. Do you have a preference between Scots law and English?

Ah, you're very lucky! I still have to go through exams... But, fingers crossed it'll all go well.

So, in Scotland you can still study English law at majority of their universities, and at Dundee you get a dual qualification in Scots and English law. Sadly, Edinburgh does not offer a graduate entry for English law, which I would most definitely apply for if it did!
I am so glad this thread exists! I am a Canadian student who is interested in completing a graduate entry LLB.
I applied to Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Strathclyde, Queen Mary, and Dundee. Over the past few weeks, I have received conditional offers (premised on the completion of my B.A in Canada) from all my choices. I am now having a hard time deciding which school is best for me.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 6
Hi,
I applied to NTU, Queen’s uni, Swansea, Birmingham and Leicester. I’ve got a conditional offer from Leicester but I’m kinda interested in going to Swansea so waiting to hear from them.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by CarletonURaven
I am so glad this thread exists! I am a Canadian student who is interested in completing a graduate entry LLB.
I applied to Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Strathclyde, Queen Mary, and Dundee. Over the past few weeks, I have received conditional offers (premised on the completion of my B.A in Canada) from all my choices. I am now having a hard time deciding which school is best for me.

You could make a research on which is the best probably using the league table and other ranking platforms. Also, you could check out the kind of award offers. I initially wanted strathclyde and stirling but I saw the awarding degree was an ORD and I don’t know what that is so I removed them.

Hello from your neighbor, glad to see other people from our continent are considering UK law as well. Another suggestion (in addition to biisii's which are spot-on) is to look seriously into each school's financial aid for international students. I found that many schools offered international scholarships, but that I didn't qualify for them as a U.S. student. Most websites allow you to put in your program and home country to see what aid you qualify for if any. This may help you distinguish between universities with similar ratings/program structures.

Have you applied to law schools in Canada? If no, are you planning to come back to Canada after you graduate? As you may know, it is very hard for graduates of UK universities to come back to Canada and find articling positions. You'd also have to pass the NCA exams. I also am in the last year of my undergraduate degree in Canada and have applied to LLB/Maîtrise programmes in the UK but I get EU/UK fees and I will be staying in Europe once I graduate. Be careful of universities trying to pitch you an easy path to qualifying upon returning to Canada. :smile:
I am not interested in practicing in Canada but thank you! :smile:
Reply 11

But I think in Strathclyde you can study both English and Scots law. That’s a huge plus
Original post by biisii
But I think in Strathclyde you can study both English and Scots law. That’s a huge plus

That's what I've been debating. A large portion of the Scottish schools I applied to (with the exception of Edinburgh) offer English law. It's definitely a nice bonus

No worries! Just wanted to help out :smile:
Got an offer for senior status at soas🙂
Original post by TheDonald-
Got an offer for senior status at soas🙂

Congrats on your offer! Are you going to take it?
I have somewhat random of a question for the group. Cambridge says that they strongly discourage their students from having a job, but obviously as an international student I could use the funds. Do you think my status as an affiliate student would make a difference considering I am 22 and understand how the collegiate process works? Or should I plan on not working during the term? I am unfamiliar with how the UK overall encourages (or discourages) working during University because in the U.S. most people hold one or more jobs while attending school. Thanks!
I have somewhat random of a question for the group. Cambridge says that they strongly discourage their students from having a job, but obviously as an international student I could use the funds. Do you think my status as an affiliate student would make a difference considering I am 22 and understand how the collegiate process works? Or should I plan on not working during the term? I am unfamiliar with how the UK overall encourages (or discourages) working during University because in the U.S. most people hold one or more jobs while attending school. Thanks!

Well, I think it’s an advise so you’d stay focused on the course. However, if you think you can handle it, you can try it. Better still, try to get some insight from students already in the program
Reply 18
Original post by biisii
Hi,
I applied to NTU, Queen’s uni, Swansea, Birmingham and Leicester. I’ve got a conditional offer from Leicester but I’m kinda interested in going to Swansea so waiting to hear from them.

I will be attending swansea for the senior grad program.

In most UK Unis lots of students hold down part time jobs too and it isn’t discouraged. The reason Oxbridge discourage them is because the terms are so short compared to other Unis - 8 weeks rather than 10- which makes the workload more intense so it is harder to cope with a job on top. But the holidays are longer so it is an option to do temp work in the holidays
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending