The Student Room Group

Third year transfer

Any decent university that accept third year transfer?
Original post by Ahrilee

third-year transfers are very unlikely, you ll need to email wherever you're interested in
Original post by Ahrilee

Define “decent”
Which course are you hoping to transfer for? Generally it’s a better idea to repeat second year - it gives you time to settle in and address any gaps without as much weighting on your results for your degree classification.
You’d be playing yourself. You’ll hardly know the staff members so won’t be able to make an informed choice on a dissertation supervisor.

Why do you want to transfer anyway?
Original post by claireestelle
third-year transfers are very unlikely, you ll need to email wherever you're interested in

Hi, thank you for your reply. I will be emailing the universities today to find out :smile:
Original post by PQ
Define “decent”
Which course are you hoping to transfer for? Generally it’s a better idea to repeat second year - it gives you time to settle in and address any gaps without as much weighting on your results for your degree classification.

When I said decent, I meant top 50 ish university as the current one I’m in is ranked very low.
Hopping to transfer to Accounting and finance.
Original post by Ahrilee
When I said decent, I meant top 50 ish university as the current one I’m in is ranked very low.

Accounting is about the exemptions you gain. Rarely does ranking matter. Finance is also quantitative, your best doing a Master's to boost your employability.
Original post by Ahrilee

It’s unlikely to be honest.
Finding a close enough match and then convincing a university that you would be capable of coping with their course compared to your current course (usually transfers will require you meeting the standard entry requirements if you aren’t repeating a year) as well as settling in and succeeding in the most intense year.

Would you consider repeating second year at a new university?

Your first step is to contact universities that you’re interested in and asking them if they accept entry into 2nd or 3rd year. 3rd year transfers are more common where HND/FdA/FdSc + top up year is an option available at that university (or at a nearby college).
Original post by CTLeafez
You’d be playing yourself. You’ll hardly know the staff members so won’t be able to make an informed choice on a dissertation supervisor.

Why do you want to transfer anyway?

My course is heavily based on group work. For the past two year, I struggled a lot with finding group mates who actually put in effort. I was thinking if I went to a better ranked university, there’s a higher chance of finding people who are more serious with their degree. Also I’m currently on a placement year. Even if I went back to my current university for the third year, I will still need to make new friends. I also find the quality of the teaching very poor :frown: I’ll just have to wait for replies from the universities I’ve contacted and go from there. Thank you for replying :smile:
Original post by Ahrilee
My course is heavily based on group work. For the past two year, I struggled a lot with finding group mates who actually put in effort. I was thinking if I went to a better ranked university, there’s a higher chance of finding people who are more serious with their degree. Also I’m currently on a placement year. Even if I went back to my current university for the third year, I will still need to make new friends. I also find the quality of the teaching very poor :frown: I’ll just have to wait for replies from the universities I’ve contacted and go from there. Thank you for replying :smile:

You’ll get an instant response by ringing universities. You could ring 20+ in an hour or so and have a much better idea of your possible options.
Original post by Ahrilee

Group work where you cant choose your groups is genuinely the worst form of University assessment imaginable...
Original post by Ahrilee

Totally forgot to mention that most accounting and finance courses don’t require you do to a dissertation. In my current university, we have to finish a group essay that is about half the word count of a dissertation :smile:
Original post by PQ
It’s unlikely to be honest.
Finding a close enough match and then convincing a university that you would be capable of coping with their course compared to your current course (usually transfers will require you meeting the standard entry requirements if you aren’t repeating a year) as well as settling in and succeeding in the most intense year.

Would you consider repeating second year at a new university?

Your first step is to contact universities that you’re interested in and asking them if they accept entry into 2nd or 3rd year. 3rd year transfers are more common where HND/FdA/FdSc + top up year is an option available at that university (or at a nearby college).

Just thinking about going back to my current uni after my placement finishes is making me really sad and I’m dreading it a lot. Thank you for your suggestion, I’ll be looking into top up courses :smile:
Group work where you cant choose your groups is genuinely the worst form of University assessment imaginable...

We can choose our group mates. It’s just the people I worked with all put in bare minimum effort and I ended up doing most of the work :frown: Maybe it’s just my luck or I’m just really bad at choosing people to work with. The majority of the people in my uni course seem to be the same though Most of them just want to pass.....
Original post by Ahrilee
Maybe it’s just my luck or I’m just really bad at choosing people to work with.

Potentially :P

It's funny, usually people make friends and hang with people with a similar academic drive at Uni. Don't usually see 3rd class degree people hanging and sitting with the 1st class degree nerds :P
Potentially :P

It's funny, usually people make friends and hang with people with a similar academic drive at Uni. Don't usually see 3rd class degree people hanging and sitting with the 1st class degree nerds :P

I don’t think there are any nerds in this uni lol but anyways thanks for replying everyone. I think I’ll most likely have to try to think positively and continue with my current uni for the year... just thought it was worth to ask just in case :smile:
Original post by Ahrilee
I don’t think there are any nerds in this uni lol but anyways thanks for replying everyone. I think I’ll most likely have to try to think positively and continue with my current uni for the year... just thought it was worth to ask just in case :smile:

Try and find the mature students.
Original post by PQ
Try and find the mature students.

Will do thanks :smile:
Original post by username3493066

Some universities will allow transfer into the second year but I would be surprised if they did third year transfers. Modules have to match or be very similar to the course you are now on to move across. So I would suggest contacting the university you want to move to.

Quick Reply

Latest