The Student Room Group
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey, I'm looking to apply. Just writing my personal statement at the moment. I messaged their Facebook a while ago and got no reply so don't think it's active. What course have you done and what experience do you have? I don't think I'll get in with my experience haha
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website
Hi I’m thinking to apply for the course as well but I’m a bit concerned that the entry requirements are maths and science GCSEs, I do have them but I haven’t been able to find my certificates for years as proof. Any advice? Hopefully they’d only look at my BSc degree grade.
Reply 3
Original post by kkkjjj
Hey, I'm looking to apply. Just writing my personal statement at the moment. I messaged their Facebook a while ago and got no reply so don't think it's active. What course have you done and what experience do you have? I don't think I'll get in with my experience haha

I messaged them on Facebook also but no response. I’m currently working as a Senior clinical Audiologist in South Wales so I’m hoping it works to my advantage. What about you?
Reply 4
Original post by jenniferuttams
Hi I’m thinking to apply for the course as well but I’m a bit concerned that the entry requirements are maths and science GCSEs, I do have them but I haven’t been able to find my certificates for years as proof. Any advice? Hopefully they’d only look at my BSc degree grade.

Haha! I’m having the same problem! And also, they’re only asking for English GCSE at Swansea, not maths and English. I had to contact my old high school, find out what exam board was and I’m contacting them on Monday to ask for a new one. It’s going to cost around £40/50 but needed.
Original post by Anonymous
Haha! I’m having the same problem! And also, they’re only asking for English GCSE at Swansea, not maths and English. I had to contact my old high school, find out what exam board was and I’m contacting them on Monday to ask for a new one. It’s going to cost around £40/50 but needed.

oh ok £40-£50 isn't bad. How did you find out the price?
It's just annoying having to pay for it; I've been trying to avoid that for years
Reply 6
oh ok £40-£50 isn't bad. How did you find out the price?
It's just annoying having to pay for it; I've been trying to avoid that for years

I basically went on their website and then gave them a ring. It’s super annoying that the university even want it to be honest, I mean how did I do my undergrad without it ??
I basically went on their website and then gave them a ring. It’s super annoying that the university even want it to be honest, I mean how did I do my undergrad without it ??

Haha Yh I know!
It’s annoying, I rang them a few days ago and you need GCSE maths and English Lang but you don’t need the certificates straight away when you apply but as long as you have them ready for interviews they said
Reply 8
Haha Yh I know!
It’s annoying, I rang them a few days ago and you need GCSE maths and English Lang but you don’t need the certificates straight away when you apply but as long as you have them ready for interviews they said

On the application, it only says English ?? They want maths too? Bloody hell!
Reply 9
Original post by kkkjjj

Everyone will bring different experience/life experience and qualities to the course, don't worry. As long as you hit the minimum requirements and you are passionate about the role and what it involves, you've got a shot. Then you can shine at interview and utilise your strengths. What is your background?

On the application, it only says English ?? They want maths too? Bloody hell!

I'm just completing my application for Swansea PA MSc too.

I contacted them and they did say they needed GCSE Maths and English certificates though as others have said - some exam boards have a long delay in processing applications for replacement certificates etc - something to consider if they are needing them for interview.

Does anyone know what the interview involves and when they normally take place? (Probably jinxed myself for getting an interview now :rolleyes:)
Original post by PA-RN23
Everyone will bring different experience/life experience and qualities to the course, don't worry. As long as you hit the minimum requirements and you are passionate about the role and what it involves, you've got a shot. Then you can shine at interview and utilise your strengths. What is your background?

I'm just completing my application for Swansea PA MSc too.

I contacted them and they did say they needed GCSE Maths and English certificates though as others have said - some exam boards have a long delay in processing applications for replacement certificates etc - something to consider if they are needing them for interview.

Does anyone know what the interview involves and when they normally take place? (Probably jinxed myself for getting an interview now :rolleyes:)

You've gotten an interview? Do you know when the dates are?
Reply 11
You've gotten an interview? Do you know when the dates are?

No, I was just asking if anyone knows what the interview involves (thinking ahead incase I’m lucky enough to get one) :smile:
Are transcripts OK instead of certificates, I don't think I actually have any certificates
Reply 13
Original post by thatcooldude2.0
Are transcripts OK instead of certificates, I don't think I actually have any certificates

I would contact admissions directly to ask this.

I wouldn't want to risk answering that and being wrong - they may expect certificates for your degree and GCSE maths/english but not for any other courses you put on your application

I don't have my certificate for my A2 Biology and admissions said it didn't matter as long as I had my degree and GCSE maths/english

I'd give them a call or drop them an email :smile:
To those who have finished the application, what did you put in the Funding bit. Obviously the course is funded so what do we put there?

Also did anyone attend the open day last week?
Reply 15
To those who have finished the application, what did you put in the Funding bit. Obviously the course is funded so what do we put there?

Also did anyone attend the open day last week?

I put no to that question and then in the box below I put "Wales NHS Bursary" or something similar

Sadly I was working so was unable to but I'd love to hear how people got on
it has an interview after shortlisting applications ! what do they usually ask about? any experienced PA's here
Original post by TEENZTINA
it has an interview after shortlisting applications ! what do they usually ask about? any experienced PA's here

Hi Teenztina, sorry not quite getting what you are saying? Interviews will be on the week commencing 8th June as said at the open day ( not sure if this has changed since Corona! Questions asked will be based on your application/ personal statement. Potential scenario questions etc.
Hi guys

I just sent in my application and received this:

Thank you for your application to Swansea University: What happens now?
Any correspondence about your application will be sent via email so please check your email account regularly.

Once we have received all of the information we need from you, we aim to make a decision on your application within:

5 working days for undergraduate and postgraduate taught programmes
4-6 weeks for research programmes, depending on any additional information we may require (for example, further details of your research proposal).
Once a decision has been made, you will be able to download your decision letter by logging back into your account: at https://apply.swan.ac.uk

Does this mean that we will know within 5 working days if we get an interview or something else?
Reply 19
Hi guys

I just sent in my application and received this:

Thank you for your application to Swansea University: What happens now?
Any correspondence about your application will be sent via email so please check your email account regularly.

Once we have received all of the information we need from you, we aim to make a decision on your application within:

5 working days for undergraduate and postgraduate taught programmes
4-6 weeks for research programmes, depending on any additional information we may require (for example, further details of your research proposal).
Once a decision has been made, you will be able to download your decision letter by logging back into your account: at https://apply.swan.ac.uk

Does this mean that we will know within 5 working days if we get an interview or something else?

Hey!

No this is not correct - I believe this is a generalised response given to all applicants on all courses.

I recall reading somewhere that they are likely to start offering interviews around April/May which will then be held around June.

Obviously with COVID-19 it’s likely that the process will change with many universities offering Skype/video interviews rather than face to face.

We’ll just have to wait and see! 🙂

Latest