The Student Room Group

GCSE Geography- is it worth it??

Is GCSE Geography really worth it and is it easy to do and get a good grade or is it hard to get a good grade in GCSE Geography. Please do reply, thanks
Personally, I have taken history at GCSE. I have my exams this year and honestly i would've prefered to have taken geography if given the choice now... History is reallyyyyy difficult, mostly because of the sheer content and also because of the questions and how you have to structure them as though you are a robot - it's very demoralising. If I were you i would choose geography over history (at my school you have to choose at least one humanities subject). Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Ezan123
Is GCSE Geography really worth it and is it easy to do and get a good grade or is it hard to get a good grade in GCSE Geography. Please do reply, thanks

i did gcse geography 2 years ago and honestly i personally didn’t really enjoy it. if i’m honest i think it depends on the teacher because my year 11 geography teacher was one of the worst ones i’ve ever had and they made me hate the subject. the most important thing is that you actually enjoy the subject because if you don’t you’ll probably hate it and end up not revising. if you’re wondering if it’s easy, i wouldn’t say it’s particularly difficult, you just have to be good at memorising case studies and facts. if it helps i didn’t revise at all and i got a 7 (i did OCR geography btw)
It's not that difficult but u do have to analyse graphs and remember case studies, I love it, it is really easy to get A/A* if u have a really good teacher and if u love the subject, research the specification. Geography is actually very useful as it combines biology, politics, economics, maths etc... together. some topics are boring but that happens with all subjects, if ur not a fan for essays then choose geog, the highest mark for a question is 9 marks
Reply 4
Original post by Jade2019
Personally, I have taken history at GCSE. I have my exams this year and honestly i would've prefered to have taken geography if given the choice now... History is reallyyyyy difficult, mostly because of the sheer content and also because of the questions and how you have to structure them as though you are a robot - it's very demoralising. If I were you i would choose geography over history (at my school you have to choose at least one humanities subject). Hope this helps :smile:

Thank you. If you dont mind me asking, what else did you take for GCSE and what do you think of them so far?? I am currently choosing between history,business, technology,ICT , RE and I only have 3 to pick. im in a bit of a pickle rn. :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by inmuse
i did gcse geography 2 years ago and honestly i personally didn’t really enjoy it. if i’m honest i think it depends on the teacher because my year 11 geography teacher was one of the worst ones i’ve ever had and they made me hate the subject. the most important thing is that you actually enjoy the subject because if you don’t you’ll probably hate it and end up not revising. if you’re wondering if it’s easy, i wouldn’t say it’s particularly difficult, you just have to be good at memorising case studies and facts. if it helps i didn’t revise at all and i got a 7 (i did OCR geography btw)

Thanks. :smile:
:smile:
Original post by Ezan123
Thank you. If you dont mind me asking, what else did you take for GCSE and what do you think of them so far?? I am currently choosing between history,business, technology,ICT , RE and I only have 3 to pick. im in a bit of a pickle rn. :smile:

I took History, Art, Drama and Triple Science (Chemistry, Biology and Physics all as sepeate subjects basically). I'm really happy with my options, would change history if I could but it's not the end of the world. I LOVEEEE art but that really does depend on if you aere into creative stuff like that. Same with drama. Triple Science I also think was a good choice becasue you have to take science now as one of your core subjects, but if you take triple science you are doing all the same content, plus about 5-10 percent more content (i.e not a lot) but you get half an hour extra in each exam. ICT is defintiely a good option if you want to gain skills in tech and computers (the world is going that way after all), same with business - people recognise it as a "hard" subject however friends of mine have said that once you get your head around it that its really easy, so therefore i would say it's defintely a good option to pick. RE is definitely what people would refer to as a "soft" subject. In my school, hardly anyone picks it as on the whole it's deemed as being very easy and not very useful compared to the likes of geography or history... If you want to ask anything else, I'm fine for you to pick my brain as I'm in my last year of high school now and would've loved to know all this info when i was picking my options :smile:x
Reply 7
Original post by Jade2019
I took History, Art, Drama and Triple Science (Chemistry, Biology and Physics all as sepeate subjects basically). I'm really happy with my options, would change history if I could but it's not the end of the world. I LOVEEEE art but that really does depend on if you aere into creative stuff like that. Same with drama. Triple Science I also think was a good choice becasue you have to take science now as one of your core subjects, but if you take triple science you are doing all the same content, plus about 5-10 percent more content (i.e not a lot) but you get half an hour extra in each exam. ICT is defintiely a good option if you want to gain skills in tech and computers (the world is going that way after all), same with business - people recognise it as a "hard" subject however friends of mine have said that once you get your head around it that its really easy, so therefore i would say it's defintely a good option to pick. RE is definitely what people would refer to as a "soft" subject. In my school, hardly anyone picks it as on the whole it's deemed as being very easy and not very useful compared to the likes of geography or history... If you want to ask anything else, I'm fine for you to pick my brain as I'm in my last year of high school now and would've loved to know all this info when i was picking my options :smile:x

do you need to be good at art to do it or is it easy?? :smile:xx
Original post by Ezan123
do you need to be good at art to do it or is it easy?? :smile:xx

You don't necessarily have to be good at art but you defintely need to have a passion for it, or at least enjoy doing it... If you're asking whether or not it's an easy pass then my answer would be both yes and no. It's easy if you really enjoy it and try hard but it's extremely difficult if you don't like it and think you can just do nothing. Art is one of those subjects that demandsss effort xx
Reply 9
Original post by Ezan123

I do GCSE Geography, honestly it's easy to get good grades like 8/9s without revision if you just pay attention in class and make relatively decent notes but I will admit it is mostly boring unless you have really great and involved classmates but if you don't it will definitely be boring. FYI: I only do GCSE Geography because my school made me choose between History or Geography and I chose geography as I didn't like a super essay based and where you had to remember lots of content. I got a 9 in my mocks by just by trying all the exam questions in the geography textbook a day before my mock for about one and a half hour.
Reply 10
Original post by Pencil22
I do GCSE Geography, honestly it's easy to get good grades like 8/9s without revision if you just pay attention in class and make relatively decent notes but I will admit it is mostly boring unless you have really great and involved classmates but if you don't it will definitely be boring. FYI: I only do GCSE Geography because my school made me choose between History or Geography and I chose geography as I didn't like a super essay based and where you had to remember lots of content. I got a 9 in my mocks by just by trying all the exam questions in the geography textbook a day before my mock for about one and a half hour.

are you doing AQA Geography?? Thanks for your views tho mate
Original post by hallaluliah
It's not that difficult but u do have to analyse graphs and remember case studies, I love it, it is really easy to get A/A* if u have a really good teacher and if u love the subject, research the specification. Geography is actually very useful as it combines biology, politics, economics, maths etc... together. some topics are boring but that happens with all subjects, if ur not a fan for essays then choose geog, the highest mark for a question is 9 marks

I've seen a 12 marker before lol
Original post by Ezan123

That is a very subjective question.
Some people may thing differently. I personally find Geography is a good balance of easy / interesting.
If I were you, I would pick my GCSEs on three things:
1. Is it interesting?
2. Is it too easy?
3. What skills will it give me?

Of course, as with all GCSEs, your final grade relies a lot on the amount of revising you do :-)
Original post by Ezan123
are you doing AQA Geography?? Thanks for your views tho mate

Yeah, Geography Route B; I'm gonna do the exams this summer.
You must have a good grasp of the case studies like location and key points.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest