The Student Room Group

Is it normal for my insurance quote to be over £3000?

I just passed my test last Friday and when I was looking up a quote for a Ford Fiesta Zetec Climate, most of it was over 3 grand. Is this normal for it to be this expensive? I am an 18-year-old man but I live in an area that is not filled with too much crime.

Could you suggest any insurance providers that give it for cheaper?
Yes.
The £3-£5k range is normal for teenage males who have just passed their driving test.
It is likely to be somewhat cheaper if you share a car with one of your parents and are added to their insurance as an additional driver, instead of buying/leasing a car of your own.
It's steep but as a new AND young driver, pretty 'normal'. Your insurer might have a different view of the areas crime and any of the 101 other things they base the quote on....without knowing your entire life story (and being an experienced underwriter) no one else can really guess a price for you.

Have you tried all the standard footering about with the quote? Changing mileage, named drivers, car ect. My first quotes for a Clio were all huge but it was just Clio's they hated, not me, I could insure almost anything else far cheaper.
Normal is diff for everyone else, I paid that for my first 2 years, now I pay £700.
Original post by StriderHort
It's steep but as a new AND young driver, pretty 'normal'. Your insurer might have a different view of the areas crime and any of the 101 other things they base the quote on....without knowing your entire life story (and being an experienced underwriter) no one else can really guess a price for you.

Have you tried all the standard footering about with the quote? Changing mileage, named drivers, car ect. My first quotes for a Clio were all huge but it was just Clio's they hated, not me, I could insure almost anything else far cheaper.

They’re all different.
We bought my son a Clio for his first car because it came out cheapest at 1300 fully comp
Original post by RussX
I just passed my test last Friday and when I was looking up a quote for a Ford Fiesta Zetec Climate, most of it was over 3 grand. Is this normal for it to be this expensive? I am an 18-year-old man but I live in an area that is not filled with too much crime.

If you are tempted to get a black box policy (typically cheaper), make sure that you understand the potential issues.
Reply 6
If I had these types of quotes I wouldn’t even bother driving... I passed well into my 20s and pay like 700 per year.
Original post by Sammylou40
They’re all different.
We bought my son a Clio for his first car because it came out cheapest at 1300 fully comp

Yeah it'll all change, and I v much doubt all the insurers use the same risk assessments/data.

For me they just hated the damn Clio...Fiesta, Corsa, Civic, Sodding Jaguars, all cool, Clio? fk no, you can't have one :rolleyes:
Original post by RussX

Have you compared it to other cars, as that sounds quite steep tbh, maybe try a Fiesta without the climate control?
Reply 9
For me it’s £1800 but then it’ll likely come down to £1500 at renewal. Rip off but what can you do?
Original post by RussX

Try compare the market.com. That seems extortionate!!!
I was quoted around £2k after passing my test. I waited 2 years after getting my licence and it was down to around one third
I don't know, but my car insurance costs 72 pounds a year...
Original post by PTMalewski
I don't know, but my car insurance costs 72 pounds a year...

My quote for this year is £89
Original post by Sammylou40
My quote for this year is £89

Mine has only 103 horsepower.

Your average Corsa only has 59!!

My car is a 1.8L with 122

Mine is a 1ltr corsa
Original post by LTEcactus
Your average Corsa only has 59!!

My car is a 1.8L with 122

Who says I've got a Corsa?

My car has Rover's engine, but it's not a Rover.
Who says I've got a Corsa?

My car has Rover's engine, but it's not a Rover.

I think it was supposed to be a reply to my post

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending