The Student Room Group

How to revise without getting distracted

Hi
How do you revise without getting distracted by things such as your phone or just losing focus and how do you keep yourself motivated
Many thanks!!
Unfortunately this is rather vague of a question, and I have a learning difficulty so what works for me might not work for you. I'll start with the stuff that might, though.
In my experience once I get into my work I don't really get distracted (not even by things like thirst or hunger), so it may be that you're not really getting involved or engaged with what you're doing.
First of all I have no idea how you revise, but I can promise you that sitting and reading a book isn't revision. No one can focus for hours on a book which is on a topic they don't care about, you have to do two things.
1) Apply the knowledge. This can be writing notes, but NEVER copy from a book. Rewrite it in your own words, in a way you understand. If an entire chapter is banging on about the ways migration affects the sending countries GPD, im going to sumn up the chapter in my notes by saying its banging on about the ways migration affects the sending countries GPD.
2) Make the work fun. This is CRUCIAL and its why so many people can't stand studying. If you're sat at your desk just staring at a book, you may as well be trying to stare at the wall with sustained interest for the same amount of time. Chase the novelty. Write in gel pens, use a gridded notebook if maths is your favourite subject, colour code your work if you want. Make sitting down to revise fun.
This also helps with motivation.
Personally i'll sit to read journal articles as I knit and dictate my notes into a word document, but that's just me.
Original post by princetonalec
Unfortunately this is rather vague of a question, and I have a learning difficulty so what works for me might not work for you. I'll start with the stuff that might, though.
In my experience once I get into my work I don't really get distracted (not even by things like thirst or hunger), so it may be that you're not really getting involved or engaged with what you're doing.
First of all I have no idea how you revise, but I can promise you that sitting and reading a book isn't revision. No one can focus for hours on a book which is on a topic they don't care about, you have to do two things.
1) Apply the knowledge. This can be writing notes, but NEVER copy from a book. Rewrite it in your own words, in a way you understand. If an entire chapter is banging on about the ways migration affects the sending countries GPD, im going to sumn up the chapter in my notes by saying its banging on about the ways migration affects the sending countries GPD.
2) Make the work fun. This is CRUCIAL and its why so many people can't stand studying. If you're sat at your desk just staring at a book, you may as well be trying to stare at the wall with sustained interest for the same amount of time. Chase the novelty. Write in gel pens, use a gridded notebook if maths is your favourite subject, colour code your work if you want. Make sitting down to revise fun.
This also helps with motivation.
Personally i'll sit to read journal articles as I knit and dictate my notes into a word document, but that's just me.

Thank you sooo much for the tips I will try and apply them :smile::smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Ezza1234
Hi
How do you revise without getting distracted by things such as your phone or just losing focus and how do you keep yourself motivated
Many thanks!!

Revise at Fajr (around 5:00) when there is total silence, it keeps you from getting distracted.
Original post by 999QR
Revise at Fajr (around 5:00) when there is total silence, it keeps you from getting distracted.

Ok thanks but nowadays fajr is at 7 is that still ok?
Turn your phone off and put it in a different room from the one you'll be revising in, also if you're studying on a laptop then disconnect yourself from the wifi if it's possible to study whilst doing so.

Study in 50 minute blocks and have 5-10 minute breaks in between, that way you keep your mind focused on the task but you're not overloading yourself.

Set clear goals - Clearly plan out what you want to achieve that day, if you find at the end of the day that you haven't achieved it, set yourself more realistic goals.

Stick to revision methods that suit you personally - A lot more will sink in, and you'll probably find your revision slightly more enjoyable that way.
Original post by MidgetFever
Turn your phone off and put it in a different room from the one you'll be revising in, also if you're studying on a laptop then disconnect yourself from the wifi if it's possible to study whilst doing so.

Study in 50 minute blocks and have 5-10 minute breaks in between, that way you keep your mind focused on the task but you're not overloading yourself.

Set clear goals - Clearly plan out what you want to achieve that day, if you find at the end of the day that you haven't achieved it, set yourself more realistic goals.

Stick to revision methods that suit you personally - A lot more will sink in, and you'll probably find your revision slightly more enjoyable that way.

Thank you! I’m going to try out the 50 minute blocks with breaks :smile:
Thank you! I’m going to try out the 50 minute blocks with breaks :smile:

You're welcome! Best of luck with your studies :h:
Reply 8
Ok thanks but nowadays fajr is at 7 is that still ok?

Not a problem, the main thing is that there is no noise.
I'm in Qatar where Fajr is at 5 :smile:
Original post by 999QR
Not a problem, the main thing is that there is no noise.
I'm in Qatar where Fajr is at 5 :smile:

Oh right thank you for replying I’m in the UK btw :smile:
Hi
Many thanks!!

1)Keep your phone away from you, lock it somewhere or give it to your parents.

2)If you have a laptop then do the same thing

3)if you have a pc then turn the wifi off

4)Give a goal to yourself, for example today my goal is to study for 20 minutes. Tomorrow my goal is to study for 25 minutes.

5)Make a timetable

6)Reward yourself every 20 minutes. Every 20 minutes you can eat your favourite candy or fruit (not the whole packet or the whole fruit just one or a piece. (Just because there is a lot of sugar in the fruits and candies)

7)Revise late at the night when everyone is asleep

8)clear your desk so you cannot get distracted.

9)don't listen to music (not all the time when you are revising)
Original post by emily_000
1)Keep your phone away from you, lock it somewhere or give it to your parents.

2)If you have a laptop then do the same thing

3)if you have a pc then turn the wifi off

4)Give a goal to yourself, for example today my goal is to study for 20 minutes. Tomorrow my goal is to study for 25 minutes.

5)Make a timetable

6)Reward yourself every 20 minutes. Every 20 minutes you can eat your favourite candy or fruit (not the whole packet or the whole fruit just one or a piece. (Just because there is a lot of sugar in the fruits and candies)

7)Revise late at the night when everyone is asleep

8)clear your desk so you cannot get distracted.

9)don't listen to music (not all the time when you are revising)

Thank you so much this is very helpful!! :smile: but the thing is sometimes I need my IPad to search stuff related to subjects?
Reply 12
Oh right thank you for replying I’m in the UK btw :smile:

no problem. :smile:
Thank you so much this is very helpful!! :smile: but the thing is sometimes I need my IPad to search stuff related to subjects?

Find the information that you need and then start to study.
Original post by emily_000
Find the information that you need and then start to study.

Okie dokie thanks :smile:
Reply 15
Put your phone, iPad, laptop or whatever in another room not in your bedroom, or put it downstairs and likely you can’t be bothered to go downstairs and get them so you’ll have no distractions in your room.
Original post by Deggs_14
Put your phone, iPad, laptop or whatever in another room not in your bedroom, or put it downstairs and likely you can’t be bothered to go downstairs and get them so you’ll have no distractions in your room.

Good idea thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending