The Student Room Group

help!

How can I improve my grades in Law (E), Sociology (D), and Politics (D)?
I need to get at least a C in all of them.
you need to go over any mocks and assessments to identify your weak areas. if you're struggling to pinpoint what your weaknesses are, have a chat with your teacher and see what they think you need to be working on the most.
i'd recommend getting a revision timetable together so you can organise your time effectively.
Reply 2
Original post by entertainmyfaith
you need to go over any mocks and assessments to identify your weak areas. if you're struggling to pinpoint what your weaknesses are, have a chat with your teacher and see what they think you need to be working on the most.
i'd recommend getting a revision timetable together so you can organise your time effectively.

I have already done that, but I just don't understand how to make the information stay in my head.
Original post by z.13_ZH

This case looks a bit hopeless at the current moment, but also would like to appreciate the fact that you are being realistic.
See what you need to do is prioritise your exams over everything else that is going on- be it extracurriculars, Netflix or friends. right now your exams should be your priority. Secondly, you should be giving 2 hours everyday to Law and 1 hour each to both sociology and politics and in school try to cover as much syllabus as you can. IT IS NOTHING NEW- THAT YOU HAVE TO DO PAST PAPERS, try solving them with the marking scheme and then once you feel you are good to go-start solving them without the marks scheme and check them on your own.
Original post by z.13_ZH
I have already done that, but I just don't understand how to make the information stay in my head.

you could use active recall methods like past papers and flashcards. try finding out how you learn best ie. through videos, visual stuff, listening to yourself read notes??
Original post by z.13_ZH

After every lesson I would suggest summarising the notes you did in class. Go to any revision catch up sessions that are being offered. I would also keep going back to topics that you know you find hard to remember and come up with funny things to remember them by. (e.g I remember a case in law called Smith v Hughes becasue it's about prostituation and my mate did a weirdly accurate drawing of the situation)
Reply 6
Original post by ywbfcihwcjownc
This case looks a bit hopeless at the current moment, but also would like to appreciate the fact that you are being realistic.
See what you need to do is prioritise your exams over everything else that is going on- be it extracurriculars, Netflix or friends. right now your exams should be your priority. Secondly, you should be giving 2 hours everyday to Law and 1 hour each to both sociology and politics and in school try to cover as much syllabus as you can. IT IS NOTHING NEW- THAT YOU HAVE TO DO PAST PAPERS, try solving them with the marking scheme and then once you feel you are good to go-start solving them without the marks scheme and check them on your own.

The only reason I got Ds for Politics and Sociology was because I missed a whole question out in each paper because I ran out of time (even though I get extra time), so I know I have to do timed past papers and stuff. If I hadn't done that, the I would have got a B at minimum, because individual questions were pretty good (that's what my teachers said).

Original post by gonzalez607
After every lesson I would suggest summarising the notes you did in class. Go to any revision catch up sessions that are being offered. I would also keep going back to topics that you know you find hard to remember and come up with funny things to remember them by. (e.g I remember a case in law called Smith v Hughes becasue it's about prostituation and my mate did a weirdly accurate drawing of the situation)

I already have to attend the Year 12 lessons again, I have tuition and I use flashcards, but I literally forget the information by the end of the week. I don't know what to do. Law is my worst subject, I have been getting Ds or Es consistently since I began it and I don't know what to do.
Reply 7
Original post by entertainmyfaith
you could use active recall methods like past papers and flashcards. try finding out how you learn best ie. through videos, visual stuff, listening to yourself read notes??

Yeah, I used to listen to myself read notes, but I just ended up zoning out half way through. It's the same with watching videos, but I think I am better at visual things, but I know that mindmaps don't work, so online flashcards on Quizlet because it's more comprehensive because you can do the other activities they have there. How do I know it's active recall and not just me recognising it?
Original post by z.13_ZH
The only reason I got Ds for Politics and Sociology was because I missed a whole question out in each paper because I ran out of time (even though I get extra time), so I know I have to do timed past papers and stuff. If I hadn't done that, the I would have got a B at minimum, because individual questions were pretty good (that's what my teachers said).

I already have to attend the Year 12 lessons again, I have tuition and I use flashcards, but I literally forget the information by the end of the week. I don't know what to do. Law is my worst subject, I have been getting Ds or Es consistently since I began it and I don't know what to do.

Law is a hard subjects beacuse theres a lot of information that you need to know. I find it useful to talk to peoble in your class (or other people who know whats going on) about the cases and discuss the outcomes. All I can really say is keep looking over flashcards and your notes at the end of the day just for a bit of recap
Reply 9
Original post by gonzalez607
Law is a hard subjects beacuse theres a lot of information that you need to know. I find it useful to talk to peoble in your class (or other people who know whats going on) about the cases and discuss the outcomes. All I can really say is keep looking over flashcards and your notes at the end of the day just for a bit of recap

How will I know it's in my memory and not just me recognising the information?
Original post by z.13_ZH
Yeah, I used to listen to myself read notes, but I just ended up zoning out half way through. It's the same with watching videos, but I think I am better at visual things, but I know that mindmaps don't work, so online flashcards on Quizlet because it's more comprehensive because you can do the other activities they have there. How do I know it's active recall and not just me recognising it?

test yourself. when using flashcards for terms and definitions for example, give yourself the term and try to recall the definition from memory.
Original post by z.13_ZH
How will I know it's in my memory and not just me recognising the information?

Well if you recognise it then you must have some sort of memory of it. So just build of what you already know

Quick Reply

Latest