The Student Room Group

Higher Order Derivatives

I hve this question below i don't know whether i should differenciate the cost and somehow use a suvat eqution to to multiply the final answer but it didn't work
I'll post the question below Question 12)
Thanks for any help
Reply 1
1F953FC1-0CFD-4D51-AA0F-3361167BAB51.jpeg
Question 12 bottom right
Reply 2
Original post by A0W0N
I hve this question below i don't know whether i should differenciate the cost and somehow use a suvat eqution to to multiply the final answer but it didn't work
I'll post the question below Question 12)
Thanks for any help

The total cost will be
cost per hour * time
So form the total cost in terms of "v" and differentiate to find the minimum value
Reply 3
Original post by mqb2766
The total cost will be
cost per hour * time
So form the total cost in terms of "v" and differentiate to find the minimum value

my problem is finding the time as i only know it's traveling at a constant speed and travel that its 100km
Reply 4
Original post by A0W0N
my problem is finding the time as i only know it's traveling at a constant speed and travel that its 100km

t = 100 / v
???
Reply 5
Original post by mqb2766
t = 100 / v
???

so for every value of v should i put 100^-1
Reply 6
Original post by A0W0N
so for every value of v should i put 100^-1

No. "v" is the variable that needs to be determined by differentiation. You can't stick a value in. Use t = 100/v in the expression for total cost in post 3.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by mqb2766
No. "v" is the variable that needs to be determined by differentiation. You can't stick a value in. Use t = 100/v in the expression for total cost in post 3.

image.jpg
is that what I do because the answer is £2052
Reply 8
Original post by A0W0N
image.jpg
is that what I do because the answer is £2052

Don't understand that at all
* Write down the total cost in terms of v
* Differentiate it
* Set equal to zero and solve.

Quick Reply

Latest