The Student Room Group

Bioveterinary Science vs Veterinary Science

I have a few questions :smile:

Has anyone studied bioveterinary science?
What is the difference between bioveterinary science and veterinary science?
Is it difficult?
What sort of material do you learn?
What career paths can you take with the degree?

Scroll to see replies

I've done biovet and am currently doing veterinary science. Bioveterinary science essentially prepares you for any job in the vet industry outside of vet and vet nurses. Vet is the clinical degree, biovet is non-clinical, almost like halfway in-between a vet degree and a biology degree. We cover nearly all of the science except for anatomy, some physiology and the clinical aspects to the vet degree. With a biovet degree you could go into so many things, research (labs or otherwise), diagnostic labs and public health positions among many others.

Is there anything you're interested in particular?

Topics I covered in Biovet include: animal husbandry, statistics, animal biodiversity, lab skills, infectious diseases, epidemiology, public health, physiology, parasitology, animal behaviour, pathology, nervous and musculoskeletal functions and disorders, microbiology and several more I can't think of off the top of my head. If you do a Hons degree then you also do an honours (research) project in your final year.

Comparing the two degrees, I wouldn't say the content itself of vet was any harder than the content in Biovet. But the big big difference is the volume of information you are taught in the vet degree. There is a lot to remember.

I hope I've helped a bit. Feel free to ask me any questions you have, and if you have an idea of what you're interested in then I can give you more detailed information :smile:
Original post by vetstudent123
I've done biovet and am currently doing veterinary science. Bioveterinary science essentially prepares you for any job in the vet industry outside of vet and vet nurses. Vet is the clinical degree, biovet is non-clinical, almost like halfway in-between a vet degree and a biology degree. We cover nearly all of the science except for anatomy, some physiology and the clinical aspects to the vet degree. With a biovet degree you could go into so many things, research (labs or otherwise), diagnostic labs and public health positions among many others.

Topics I covered in Biovet include: animal husbandry, statistics, animal biodiversity, lab skills, infectious diseases, epidemiology, public health, physiology, parasitology, animal behaviour, pathology, nervous and musculoskeletal functions and disorders, microbiology and several more I can't think of off the top of my head. If you do a Hons degree then you also do an honours (research) project in your final year.

Comparing the two degrees, I wouldn't say the content itself of vet was any harder than the content in Biovet. But the big big difference is the volume of information you are taught in the vet degree. There is a lot to remember.

I hope I've helped a bit. Feel free to ask me any questions you have, and if you have an idea of what you're interested in then I can give you more detailed information :smile:

At which uni did you complete your first degree? Son got 2 offers-Harper Adams unconditional and Lincoln conditional. His first choice is VetMed and he has 2 rejections and waiting for Nottingham post interview and Bristol. If not successful this year, as a re-applicant he will accept the BioVet but not sure which uni to choose? Any advise?
Original post by Wholewheatbread
At which uni did you complete your first degree? Son got 2 offers-Harper Adams unconditional and Lincoln conditional. His first choice is VetMed and he has 2 rejections and waiting for Nottingham post interview and Bristol. If not successful this year, as a re-applicant he will accept the BioVet but not sure which uni to choose? Any advise?

I completed my first degree (and my current vet degree) at Liverpool. I chose to do biovet at Liverpool because I knew that was where I wanted to study veterinary, so thought it would be best to study biovet there as well.

First thing is would he be planning on applying to study veterinary as a graduate or would he pursue a career using his biovet degree. If he is planning on continuing down the biovet career path, then I'm sure most courses, if not all, would be fine. He would need to consider the usual when choosing a university, such as location, cost, modules covered (if they interest him), whether that university has a good background in research etc. If you want opinions on general university life, feel free to message!

However if he wants to apply to vet as a graduate, there are a few other things to think about. I would probably recommend he study biovet at a university that also offers vet. This is my opinion, it's not right for everyone, but I think being in close proximity to other vet students and lecturers will prepare you better for vet and give you a better chance at application. That's not to say universities favour those at their own universities, but you will come to learn what that university looks for in a vet student and hence know how best to improve your application (I hope this makes sense?).

On another note, some students may find it difficult studying biovet at a university that offers vet as they may see it as a constant reminder. It's definitely important to think about whether this would affect your son if he is planning on applying to vet post biovet. It definitely affected me, as I ended up living with vets as housemates as well. However it helped in the long run because I was able to get an insight onto the course through them and have discussions about topics such as ethics which would have inevitably helped me during my vet applications.

I hope this has helped a bit, but please feel free to message if you have any further questions about vet/biovet and general university life etc :smile:
I completed my first degree (and my current vet degree) at Liverpool. I chose to do biovet at Liverpool because I knew that was where I wanted to study veterinary, so thought it would be best to study biovet there as well.

First thing is would he be planning on applying to study veterinary as a graduate or would he pursue a career using his biovet degree. If he is planning on continuing down the biovet career path, then I'm sure most courses, if not all, would be fine. He would need to consider the usual when choosing a university, such as location, cost, modules covered (if they interest him), whether that university has a good background in research etc. If you want opinions on general university life, feel free to message!

However if he wants to apply to vet as a graduate, there are a few other things to think about. I would probably recommend he study biovet at a university that also offers vet. This is my opinion, it's not right for everyone, but I think being in close proximity to other vet students and lecturers will prepare you better for vet and give you a better chance at application. That's not to say universities favour those at their own universities, but you will come to learn what that university looks for in a vet student and hence know how best to improve your application (I hope this makes sense?).

On another note, some students may find it difficult studying biovet at a university that offers vet as they may see it as a constant reminder. It's definitely important to think about whether this would affect your son if he is planning on applying to vet post biovet. It definitely affected me, as I ended up living with vets as housemates as well. However it helped in the long run because I was able to get an insight onto the course through them and have discussions about topics such as ethics which would have inevitably helped me during my vet applications.

I hope this has helped a bit, but please feel free to message if you have any further questions about vet/biovet and general university life etc :smile:

Thank you very much for your opinion. Really appreciate. He definitely wants to be a vet, so if financial side will be sorted after the BioVet degree, he has plan to apply for VetMed. Is it another 4-5 years or just 2?
Reply 5
Vet med remains a long course even if you’ve done a previous degree - I believe some vet schools offer a graduate accelerate programme which lasts 4 years; if he doesn’t go to a vet school with this then it will be 5 x
Original post by Wholewheatbread
Thank you very much for your opinion. Really appreciate. He definitely wants to be a vet, so if financial side will be sorted after the BioVet degree, he has plan to apply for VetMed. Is it another 4-5 years or just 2?

Someone's mentioned the years above. Financial wise, he can apply for a means tested maintenance loan but he will not be able to apply for a tuition fee loan due to the vet degree being a second degree of the same level (undergrad) as the biovet degree. He should still be able to apply for bursaries etc from the university.
Someone's mentioned the years above. Financial wise, he can apply for a means tested maintenance loan but he will not be able to apply for a tuition fee loan due to the vet degree being a second degree of the same level (undergrad) as the biovet degree. He should still be able to apply for bursaries etc from the university.

Thank you, we will check all the options🙂
Hiii I am from India and I want to become a vet in uk can I became a vetarnarian after the completion of biovetarnary science?
Original post by Abdul Rajak
Hiii I am from India and I want to become a vet in uk can I became a vetarnarian after the completion of biovetarnary science?

No, you can only become a veterinarian after you complete a veterinary degree, which is called veterinary medicine or veterinary science depending on the uni. A biovet degree does not count, I’d say it is more aimed at research etc.
Reply 10
Original post by RambleAmple
No, you can only become a veterinarian after you complete a veterinary degree, which is called veterinary medicine or veterinary science depending on the uni. A biovet degree does not count, I’d say it is more aimed at research etc.

Can u do vet science after BioVet science if u graduate?
Original post by Oshian
Can u do vet science after BioVet science if u graduate?

Yes, but the graduate entry 4 year course is even more competitive than the 5 year, there is no guarantee you’ll get in, there may still be some grade stipulations and you will not get student finance for the course so will need to pay the 9.25k a year out of pocket for 4/5 years which is obviously a lot for most people.
Reply 12
If I reset my a levels and got the grades needed for the undergraduate course, would I be able to apply to the undergraduate course after completing a degree in zoology or BioVet science?
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by Oshian
If I reset my a levels and got the grades needed for the undergraduate course, would I be able to apply to the undergraduate course after completing a degree in zoology or BioVet science?

Yes as long as you got the right uni grades too (e.g. some ask for a 2:1) but you can always apply to vet med as an undergrad if you resit your A Levels and get the necessary grades and save yourself at least 50k out of pocket.
Reply 14
Can I apply to do vet sciences whilst doing a degree? E.g., whilst doing the first year of a BioVet science degree, resit my a levels and apply for Bet Science. Also what would you say is a better course, Zoology or BioVeterinary science?
Original post by Oshian
Can I apply to do vet sciences whilst doing a degree? E.g., whilst doing the first year of a BioVet science degree, resit my a levels and apply for Bet Science. Also what would you say is a better course, Zoology or BioVeterinary science?

I think there’s a lot of caveats with applying in this way and it isn’t looked upon well. I’d say biovet is more relevant to vet, but I don’t think it overly matters. I don’t know if you’d be able to resit your A Levels whilst on a degree either. Overall I’d say just resit your A Levels and apply straight to vet med or student finance etc could get complicated.
Reply 16
Original post by RambleAmple
I think there’s a lot of caveats with applying in this way and it isn’t looked upon well. I’d say biovet is more relevant to vet, but I don’t think it overly matters. I don’t know if you’d be able to resit your A Levels whilst on a degree either. Overall I’d say just resit your A Levels and apply straight to vet med or student finance etc could get complicated.

Thanks for your answer, I’ve basically done that this year, I’ve Got an A* A and 2 Bs at A level and am resiting my Biology to get an A and doing AS Chemistry which I’m told should get me into Vet Science. I know there’s a chance I won’t get in straight to Veterinary Science so do you know if the BioVeterinary course is well respected and leads to job opportunities or should I go for other science courses that lead into vet science?
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by Oshian
Thanks for your answer, I’ve basically done that this year, I’ve Got an A* A and 2 Bs at A level and am resiting my Biology to get an A and doing AS Chemistry which I’m told should get me into Vet Science. I know there’s a chance I won’t get in straight to Veterinary Science so do you know if the BioVeterinary course is well respected and leads to job opportunities or should I go for other science courses that lead into vet science?

I would do your own research into vet schools tbh and not rely on teachers as they aren't always clued up on the vet admissions processes, it is entirely different to 'normal courses'. There isn't many of them so it won't take forever - the vet school council guide is a decent starting point but it isn't exhaustive so I'd research the individual unis directly too. I also have some general advice for vet applicants here on the first 2 posts which may be useful to read through. Essentially, I would be careful only doing AS chemistry because not very many vet schools accept that as opposed to A Level chemistry, and you obviously would want to apply to as many as you can as it is extremely competitive to get an offer so that would maximise your chances. I don't know much about biovet or other courses sorry as I am a vet student and I would have never been able to afford graduate entry so I never looked into it much. Again, due to the expenses etc I would 100% recommend even taking another gap year to get all the qualifications and work experience (that is a must too, just as important if not more important than grades) you need to just apply to vet med straight away - an extra year before entering uni is nothing in the grand scheme of your life and it saves you paying 50k+ out of pocket. If that isn't possible for whatever reason, check the graduate entry courses as they will have some exclusions for what subjects they consider for it (I think as long as it is a science degree it's fine but I don't know the ins and outs so again own research would be best) but most biology-based courses like biovet probably have pretty similar career routes and would be accepted by the vet unis.
Reply 18

Hi, I have been offered Bio Veterinary Science at RVC, what r the chances of getting into accelerated vet course after that?
Original post by Sb9000
Hi, I have been offered Bio Veterinary Science at RVC, what r the chances of getting into accelerated vet course after that?

Hello, you will need to achieve a minimum of 2:1 and then go through interview for vet med. Depending on how your interview goes and if you get the 2:1 or 1:1 you could potentially get onto vet med. However it is extremely competitive and you must also consider the financial aspect as you would likely be funding the second under Grad course yourself. Thats £9,250 per year for four or five years as you are only likely to get a maintenance loan. Also not to mention you'll be at uni for around 8 or more years doing the two courses back to back.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending