The Student Room Group

a man was taking photos of me on the bus, what should I do?

Scroll to see replies

keep an eye out for this pervert. he is probably a local. take a picture of him & show the police. they will look at his phone & computer etc.... let's just say his hard drive won't be full of Bake Off recipes :wink:
Original post by StriderHort
You seem to have missed the bit where the OP described Upskirting pretty clearly?

That's because it's something you just made up. Read the post carefully: what's written, not what you want to read.

As for sneering, once again your imagination is getting the better of you. I was simply stating the law, and definitely find what this man did reprehensible.
Original post by David Getling
Unlike you, I check my facts. I am right and you are wrong.

You sure you checked your facts??
You can record people in public, but when you record their face and invade their privacy without consent, it becomes illegal.
Maybe you could ask the bus company for CCTV from the bus station? If you are able to remember which bus it was, and what time it would've arrived at the bus station, you may be able to catch him getting off the bus at the station. it's a bit of a stretch but might be possible?
Original post by Zain_Ahmed
You can record people in public, but when you record their face and invade their privacy without consent, it becomes illegal.

Yawn... That's why we call places public. There is no privacy argument. Instead of talking nonsense google it!

:facepalm2:

This is why you check your facts.
Original post by SmartUnicorn
so I was on the bus and this man got on. he looked kind of rough and he wasn't someone you'd want to get involved with. I'm sitting down on the front seats at the bottom of the bus. there's not lots of people there. this man starts full on staring and smirking at me. I have my legs crossed and I'm wearing a skirt. he gets out his phone and, not even trying to hide it, starts, by the looks of it, filming me. his body is towards the window and his camera is facing me and he's smiling. I don't know what to do so I put my face down and use my phone reflection to see what he's doing. he's still filming me, then he stops and looks at his phone, types something and starts filming me again but he puts his phone lower this time. I uncross my legs and pull my skirt down and look at him and he has the audacity to wink at me. he then starts filming again how he was doing it the first time so I put my head down again. it's my stop and I'm literally shaking. I get up, he watches my every move, grinning, and I walk around him and quickly get off the bus, praying he doesn't follow me. he thankfully stays on the bus. I literally couldn't walk properly, my legs were shaking, I was so scared. I don't know what to do, or what should I have done? on the bus there was only a woman with a pram and an old man sitting behind me. I would never have the guts to tell them to be honest. should I have filmed him back ? I can't report him because the bus we were on doesn't have cameras.

Thankyou!!
also, what would you have done?

Hey
You should have told the bus driver cuz the problem should have been sorted quicker. Plus you should maybe contact the bus company and tell them the situation.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by chloenix
Maybe you could ask the bus company for CCTV from the bus station? If you are able to remember which bus it was, and what time it would've arrived at the bus station, you may be able to catch him getting off the bus at the station. it's a bit of a stretch but might be possible?

The bus company is not allowed to send CCTV images of someone that is not the person requesting the recording due to GDPR.
You should have moved as soon as you were aware. Yes you were afraid but there is nothing else you can do. Creepy *******

Evidence? How can you "invade their privacy" in a public place? (There's only one exception that I know of)
Original post by SmartUnicorn
also, what would you have done?

Sorry that you went through this - it does sound worrying.

I would suggest filming them, so that you had evidence of what they were doing. You could provide this to the Police, although, unless they're a known sex offender, I wouldn't expect them to do much.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by SMEGGGY
You should have moved as soon as you were aware. Yes you were afraid but there is nothing else you can do. Creepy *******

She was scared and froze. If she had moved he probably would have kept on filming anyway.
Original post by karelina
She was scared and froze. If she had moved he probably would have kept on filming anyway.

Alert the driver
Original post by David Getling
That's because it's something you just made up. Read the post carefully: what's written, not what you want to read.

As for sneering, once again your imagination is getting the better of you. I was simply stating the law, and definitely find what this man did reprehensible.

No i'm pretty sure i read it correctly, what the OP describing how the guy noticed her watching then made a point of filming lower down to the extent of making her feel uncomfortable about the skirt. Whether the police would press charges is another matter but it's absolutely grounds for a complaint. You come across as pretty tone deaf on the issue and I get the impression you're only here to annoy.
Original post by RogerOxon
Evidence? How can you "invade their privacy" in a public place? (There's only one exception that I know of)

Roger, like me, you are wasting your time. We both know, what the law is, but this is a stubborn willful child who doesn't like being told they he is wrong.
Original post by 04MR17
Twat him over the head with your largest copy of the Oxford English Dictionary.

On a serious note I'm really sad to read this and sorry that you went through it :frown:

Ummmmmm, you swore.
Reply 36
I get that people have a difference of opinion but that should not lead to the hostile and condescending tone I detect in the discussion.

Let's not forget that the post was originally started by someone who experienced something quite frightening and all our efforts should be aimed at supporting the OP & not use this thread to vent.

Peace.
Original post by AhmerM
I get that people have a difference of opinion but that should not lead to the hostile and condescending tone I detect in the discussion.

Let's not forget that the post was originally started by someone who experienced something quite frightening and all our efforts should be aimed at supporting the OP & not use this thread to vent.

Peace.

No offence, But if I want to call out someone talking nonsense and causing trouble I will and I'm quite capable of doing so without breaking community rules. I'm not really going to listen to someone who just joined telling me where my effort should go :redface:
Reply 38
Original post by StriderHort
No offence, But if I want to call out someone talking nonsense and causing trouble I will and I'm quite capable of doing so without breaking community rules. I'm not really going to listen to someone who just joined telling me where my effort should go :redface:

Hey man (or woman) I get what you are saying. I am just pointing out a common trend that I see online where we tend to miss the point and go at each / after each other.

In my humble opinion, we as humans always act to satisfy a need - we eat to get rid of the feeling (and pain) of hunger, we (automatically) run from a predator to ensure our survival, we look after an injured kitten (or other animal) to satisfy our feelings of hurt we feel when we see someone or something (that we don't have anything against - which is a topic in itself!) suffering, we deify (revere, exalt, hold in awe) something (money, status, science) or someone (a celebrity, a boy, a girl) or the one who created all of these things and people - to satisfy our need for something bigger / better than us (call it religiosity, spirituality, an acknowledgement that we are not fully in control - u know that moment when you are in peril and automatically say OH MY GOD!)

The man in question who took photos did so to satisfy his urges - his attitude towards the OP (smirking etc.) shows that he enjoyed how he made the OP feel - he wanted to get rid of the feeling he had of not mattering

He probably also derived sexual pleasure / satisfaction from the act (sorry OP!)

So why the lecture - because regardless of our social position or education we too act to satisfy our urges (at times not really knowing that we are)

Maybe we seek to feel good about ourselves by having a go at others (a bit like that man feeling good about making the OP feel like he is in control)?

Maybe it's to fill in that sudden hole that develops within us when someone disagrees with us or ridicules our position. You know how we have to have the last say in an argument (or we feel ****ty afterwards)! - in most cases its immaterial and just makes us feel better about ourselves

Or maybe we want all to be GODS! How dare you disagree with me.

NOW ALL OF YOU BOW DOWN AND SING MY PRAISES - I feel goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood

:tongue:

Peace!
Reply 39
I say this with a lot of love and respect so please don't get me wrong:

I'm not really going to listen to someone who just joined telling me where my effort should go

Why not? What's wrong with someone who just joined. Is their opinion any less than the opinion of someone who joined say 2 months ago? (unless of course you are referring to their understanding of the forum rules / etiquette - in which case you may have a point!)

This statement (and others like it scattered all over the forum) in itself highlights the natural insecurities we as humans have (and let's please acknowledge that we are weak and dependent) and our efforts to constantly fill that hole.

You saw what I said as a survival challenge and you had to as

Quick Reply

Latest