The Student Room Group

Entitlement

Hi. I am a UK national who was born and raised in Spain. I did soend about a year in England when very small. I have read that despite not having lived in the UK for three years prior to the course starting, I may be eligible for a maintenance loan as well as tution loans as a result of the right to live anywhere in the EU. I've read so many contradictory articles. Please help.
Thanks.
Original post by Robbybobby1
Hi. I am a UK national who was born and raised in Spain. I did soend about a year in England when very small. I have read that despite not having lived in the UK for three years prior to the course starting, I may be eligible for a maintenance loan as well as tution loans as a result of the right to live anywhere in the EU. I've read so many contradictory articles. Please help.
Thanks.

Hi there,

If you are a UK National and have been exercising your right to reside/roam you will be eligible to receive funding. A UK national does not need to meet the three year residency criteria if they satisfy all three points:

- Have been settled in the UK at some point since birth
- Have been living in the EU or Switzerland for the last three years
- Are ordinarily resident in the UK on the first day of the first term of your course

Thanks, Amy
Reply 2
Thanks. I was in the UK for about a year when I was very young, but I don't know how to prove it. I was living with my mum at my grandmother's house. My mum didn't work and doesn't think I was registered with a doctor.
Thanks. I was in the UK for about a year when I was very young, but I don't know how to prove it. I was living with my mum at my grandmother's house. My mum didn't work and doesn't think I was registered with a doctor.

Hi,

Did you or your Mum have a UK bank account at this time? Did your Mum apply for any benefits during this time?

Thanks, Graeme
Reply 4
Original post by Graeme SFE
Hi,

Did you or your Mum have a UK bank account at this time? Did your Mum apply for any benefits during this time?

Thanks, Graeme

She doesn't think so as my grandmother was taking care of us.
She doesn't think so as my grandmother was taking care of us.

Okay, thanks - what kind of course do you want to study and when will it begin?

Warm regards, Graeme
Reply 6
An undergraduate degree beginning in September. Thanks ever so much for your time and help.
An undergraduate degree beginning in September. Thanks ever so much for your time and help.

Hi there,

When will you return to the UK?

Thanks, Ashley.
Reply 8
Original post by SFE Ashley
Hi there,

When will you return to the UK?

Thanks, Ashley.

Probably in July or early August, although it could well be earlier.
Probably in July or early August, although it could well be earlier.

Okay that's great!

If you apply for funding as a Home Student, you will need to provide us with evidence that you have at some point being ordinarily resident in the UK, without this, you will not be awarded Home Student funding.

Do you have either a UK passport or UK birth certificate?

Thanks, Ashley.
Okay that's great!

If you apply for funding as a Home Student, you will need to provide us with evidence that you have at some point being ordinarily resident in the UK, without this, you will not be awarded Home Student funding.

Do you have either a UK passport or UK birth certificate?

Thanks, Ashley.

I have a UK passport but was born abroad. I did live in England for about a year when I was little. My grandmother was looking after my mum and me, so I don't think I can prove I lived there. Thanks for answering.
I have a UK passport but was born abroad. I did live in England for about a year when I was little. My grandmother was looking after my mum and me, so I don't think I can prove I lived there. Thanks for answering.

Okay, our applications for the 2020/21 academic year are expected to open in late February, you'll be able to apply for home student funding on your online account.

I would advise that you try to find some evidence to confirm that you have lived in the UK for a period of time in case our assessors request this.

Thanks, Ashley.
Okay, our applications for the 2020/21 academic year are expected to open in late February, you'll be able to apply for home student funding on your online account.

I would advise that you try to find some evidence to confirm that you have lived in the UK for a period of time in case our assessors request this.

Thanks, Ashley.

Okay. Thanks again for your help. It really is appreciated.
Okay. Thanks again for your help. It really is appreciated.

You're welcome :smile:

Just to let you know, applications for the 2020/21 academic year are now open!

Thanks, Ashley.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending