The Student Room Group

Daily Mindfulness Tip // Mental Health

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Obolinda
Mindfulness meditation

This type of meditation is about observing any wandering thoughts without judging them or getting involved. It’s harder than it sounds but gets easier with practice. When performed throughout a day it can greatly relieve stress

I totally agree, at first I tried meditation and thought it was ridiculous so I gave up, I have started to try it again and it has really helped reduce stress and body my mental health, particularly with GCSEs so soon, I would recommend everyone to try it as I have found it really helpful 😊
Wherever you’re going slow down a little and become more aware of your journey. For example, it doesn’t pay to speed home from work so you can spend your evening relaxing. An extra five minutes in the car can mean that you are calm all evening.
Thank you for taking the time to make this thread it is really helpful
:h:
Original post by ellacloudy_
Thank you for taking the time to make this thread it is really helpful
:h:

:smile:
Create a calm corner

This is your own special place so make it however you want. It could just be a comfy chair, a windowsill with a great view or a spot under your favourite tree, it doesn’t matter. What is important is that you establish this place as the place where you are mindful. Try not to do anything else in this spot except practising mindfulness. The more you do it the easier it will become and you will automatically start associating this location with calm and mindfulness.
Create a calm corner

This is your own special place so make it however you want. It could just be a comfy chair, a windowsill with a great view or a spot under your favourite tree, it doesn’t matter. What is important is that you establish this place as the place where you are mindful. Try not to do anything else in this spot except practising mindfulness. The more you do it the easier it will become and you will automatically start associating this location with calm and mindfulness.

This is a great idea! Might try and do this for my mindfulness homework this week :biggrin:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
This is a great idea! Might try and do this for my mindfulness homework this week :biggrin:

Create a calm corner

this is such a great idea!! I have to do this !👍
Start your day by noticing your breathing and thoughts. There are many ways to do this and different habits suit different people. We all have unique schedules and morning routines. A great way is as soon as you wake up is to stop, breathe, notice your thoughts, emotions and feelings, and then begin your day. This simple practice will ensure from the very beginning of the day you are aware not only of your thoughts and feelings but also the effort of bringing mindfulness into the day.
Like walking, eating is an everyday activity so it goes without saying that mindful eating can change your day. However, to begin with, it can be hard to eat an entire meal mindfully, particularly if you have children. Start with a snack. A piece of fruit or even a glass of water. If you concentrate and focus your attention, your mind will be calmed. There have even been studies that suggest mindful eating can help with weight loss. Give relaxed attention to feelings of hunger, thirst or overeating
Like walking, eating is an everyday activity so it goes without saying that mindful eating can change your day. However, to begin with, it can be hard to eat an entire meal mindfully, particularly if you have children. Start with a snack. A piece of fruit or even a glass of water. If you concentrate and focus your attention, your mind will be calmed. There have even been studies that suggest mindful eating can help with weight loss. Give relaxed attention to feelings of hunger, thirst or overeating

👍👍
A great way to improve a relationship is by focusing on someone and really looking at them. Make eye contact but softly allow your eyes to move away from their face sometimes. Try looking without judgement. Like all mindfulness skills, this is something that comes with time.
Bring awareness to listening and talking. Can you listen without agreeing or disagreeing, liking or disliking, or planning what you will say when it is your turn? When talking, can you just say what you need to say without overstating or understating? Can you notice how your mind and body feel?
Bring awareness to listening and talking. Can you listen without agreeing or disagreeing, liking or disliking, or planning what you will say when it is your turn? When talking, can you just say what you need to say without overstating or understating? Can you notice how your mind and body feel?

So important and necessary, thanks for this.
With all of the media at our fingertips, we can easily be on information overload. Set boundaries for screen time with designated times for social networking (even set an alarm) and do your best to keep mobile devices out of reach at bedtime.
There’s a lot to be said about being compassionate and forgiving with yourself, especially when it comes to building in a new self-care practice like mindfulness. And, researchers in self-compassion have been having a field day around the many benefits that come from self-compassion. Here’s the gist of it applied here:

When you forget to practice, forgive yourself.

When you get lost in busy-ness, forgive yourself.

When you are inconsistent with your daily practice, forgive yourself.

When your mind wanders incessantly, forgive yourself.

Spend MORE time thinking about what you did do than ruminating about what you didn’t do.

Mindful colouring and drawing. Focus on the colours and the sensation of your pencil against the paper, rather than trying to draw something in particular. You could use a mindfulness colouring book or download mindfulness colouring images.
Mindful colouring and drawing. Focus on the colours and the sensation of your pencil against the paper, rather than trying to draw something in particular. You could use a mindfulness colouring book or download mindfulness colouring images.

:colone:

There’s a lot to be said about being compassionate and forgiving with yourself, especially when it comes to building in a new self-care practice like mindfulness. And, researchers in self-compassion have been having a field day around the many benefits that come from self-compassion. Here’s the gist of it applied here:

When you forget to practice, forgive yourself.

When you get lost in busy-ness, forgive yourself.

When you are inconsistent with your daily practice, forgive yourself.

When your mind wanders incessantly, forgive yourself.

Spend MORE time thinking about what you did do than ruminating about what you didn’t do.

Won't let me rep this. Much food for thought :colondollar:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
:colone:

Won't let me rep this. Much food for thought :colondollar:

:tongue::wink:

Same with the not letting me rep but I want to

Quick Reply

Latest