The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

4th year in physics, with exams coming fast, and looking for some advice

Well, exams are coming in fast, and I haven't been doing very well.

I should probably put in a disclaimer that I have never been really comfortable around people (except where I know the person very well), and I essentially run away from crowds (or feel like doing so)

I can't seem to get my head around the topics, and I feel like I'm reading hyeroglyphics half the time. Like it's almost to the point where I get a physical reaction to looking at either a calendar or tuning onto the website. And let's not talk about the lectures.

Obviously, I'm not exactly getting good grades at present.

I have heard the professors talk about what to do "make sure you study piece by piece", "get a study group going" etc... I'm sure we are all aware of the advice, but again, I feel like a deer in the headlights as soon as I try to do any of these things. And I have tried some of the advice, but I always found it to be lacking. Mixed in with a general reaction of revulsion at the idea, and I almost as quickly stop it.

My mum is pushing for me to get a tutor, but even though I'd rather not predict the grade I think I would get without one, I can't help but feel as if I have failed if I do get one.

I don't really know what to do or how to go about doing it. I feel like I should be able to do this, but for some reason I'm not.

You could say I'm looking for some impartial advice on the matter,

Thanks for any words you might say on the matter
It doesn't mean that you would have failed if you have a tutor. They can offer support in different ways.

Do you have friends in a similar situation?

Are you motivated to learn independently?
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by hartley131
It doesn't mean that you would have failed if you have a tutor. They can offer support in different ways.

Do you have friends in a similar situation?

Are you motivated to learn independently?

To answer you, I have many friends who are in similar situations, but they haven't thought about calling anyone. And though bravado seems at a high, I have a feeling that many of them are also feeling the heat.

And as for learning independently; I don't really know how you would describe it.
Could I work myself half to death in the library from 10 to 10? I can and I have, but I also realised that it doesn't help with grades, and it makes me sluggish both in my personal life and in my studies. Did that before my last exams, didn't get the payout.
Can I keep my concentration on one thing for hours without any distractions? No, I found that the more I force myself, the less my concentration spans.
Do I enjoy it? No.
Do I try to actively and proactively fix my problems looking through every situation and fixing the problems as they come up, I used to, but now I feel kind of paralyzed. In the sense that I don't really see a way out of it, and don't really know what to do. So I try things, here and there. But as of right now, study half-heartedly, not really knowing what to do.

Anyways, thanks for the reply.
Original post by Hal9001
To answer you, I have many friends who are in similar situations, but they haven't thought about calling anyone. And though bravado seems at a high, I have a feeling that many of them are also feeling the heat.

And as for learning independently; I don't really know how you would describe it.
Could I work myself half to death in the library from 10 to 10? I can and I have, but I also realised that it doesn't help with grades, and it makes me sluggish both in my personal life and in my studies. Did that before my last exams, didn't get the payout.
Can I keep my concentration on one thing for hours without any distractions? No, I found that the more I force myself, the less my concentration spans.
Do I enjoy it? No.
Do I try to actively and proactively fix my problems looking through every situation and fixing the problems as they come up, I used to, but now I feel kind of paralyzed. In the sense that I don't really see a way out of it, and don't really know what to do. So I try things, here and there. But as of right now, study half-heartedly, not really knowing what to do.

I always have liked Marty's advice https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlU-zDU6aQ0 It's very good to listen to, about how to go about studying.

What kind are your exams in, if I may ask?
Original post by Hal9001

Do I enjoy it? No.

In terms of learning independently - it doesn't always mean spending 10 hour in the library. Learning is far more effective in small chunks anyway.

Are you enjoying the course? If not, why are you doing it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending