The Student Room Group

Studying dentistry in Spain?

I applied to dentistry during college and I got rejected by all my unis. I decided to take a gap year and re-apply to dentistry, and got rejected again. I got A*AA in my A-levels (A in chem and bio, A* in spanish)

Honestly I've never been so disheartened, I wasn't even offered interviews which just makes me angry because I feel like I wasn't given a proper chance.

I've been considering applying to something else but honestly I don't want to, and the thought of studying something other than dentistry makes me miserable. I genuinely want to do it.

So, after hours and hours of breakdowns and searching for solutions, I came across a university in Spain (Universidad Europa de Madrid) that offers a dentistry programme in English. The degree you'll get at the end of it is equivalent to the UK BDS one.

I've even had a look at possible financial aid and I might be eligible for a scholarship, and I'd be able to get a grant to help me fund it.

I speak Spanish and honestly this seems like a dream to me, I'm in love with everything to do with Spain and studying my dream subject in my dream country is so surreal?

I just wanna know if anyone else has also considered doing this or what you guys think about this. Is it worth re-applying for a third time in the UK or should I just go for Spain? I'm so confused on what to do.
Original post by cocoguk
I applied to dentistry during college and I got rejected by all my unis. I decided to take a gap year and re-apply to dentistry, and got rejected again. I got A*AA in my A-levels (A in chem and bio, A* in spanish)

Honestly I've never been so disheartened, I wasn't even offered interviews which just makes me angry because I feel like I wasn't given a proper chance.

I've been considering applying to something else but honestly I don't want to, and the thought of studying something other than dentistry makes me miserable. I genuinely want to do it.

So, after hours and hours of breakdowns and searching for solutions, I came across a university in Spain (Universidad Europa de Madrid) that offers a dentistry programme in English. The degree you'll get at the end of it is equivalent to the UK BDS one.

I've even had a look at possible financial aid and I might be eligible for a scholarship, and I'd be able to get a grant to help me fund it.

I speak Spanish and honestly this seems like a dream to me, I'm in love with everything to do with Spain and studying my dream subject in my dream country is so surreal?

I just wanna know if anyone else has also considered doing this or what you guys think about this. Is it worth re-applying for a third time in the UK or should I just go for Spain? I'm so confused on what to do.

You should try to do both so that you have a second choice..
Reply 2
Original post by hk4000
I just got accepted today to EUM Madrid! Feels like a dream really I too took a gap year, I wish I applied earlier. Either way its never too late to pursue your dream career. So apply to Spain + everywhere else youre interested in.

If dentistry is all you want to do, go ahead and apply. You will be very happy with your decision once school begins and after you graduate! You will have had the experience to live in Spain for 5 years, learn their culture and language and overall get a life experience all WHILE studying to become a dentist. Its a win win.

Thank you for your reply! Are you also studying dentistry?

I don’t think I’ll be considering it anymore because it’s a lot more expensive than I thought unfortunately. What’s the admissions process like though? And I hope you don’t mind me asking but (if you are studying dentistry) what are the tuition fees? It’s just because I’ve barely managed to find any information online.

Another thing that is concerning me is studying abroad after Brexit, do you think this will be too much of an issue?

Congrats on your offer btw!!
Reply 3
Anyone know any details about UCV or CEU?
Reply 4
Original post by cocoguk

Are you just considering Madrid or have you looked at Valencia too? I'm holding an offer for CEU Cardinal Herrara Uuiversity Valencia and was impressed by them at the open day.
Reply 5
Original post by p.sbt
Anyone know any details about UCV or CEU?

Hi, yeah I'm considering going to CEU and am holding an offer - are you thinking about it?
Reply 6
Original post by Savi34
Hi, yeah I'm considering going to CEU and am holding an offer - are you thinking about it?

I'm waiting on two UK post-interview responses but if I'm unsuccessful in both then yeah Im thinking mainly about CEU. Got a couple questions if you wouldn't mind me asking:

1 - Was there an admissions test (if so, what was it testing and to what difficulty)?
2 - Was there an interview?
3 - Is there any scholarship scheme for students achieving A*A*A at A Level?

Many thanks :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by p.sbt
I'm waiting on two UK post-interview responses but if I'm unsuccessful in both then yeah Im thinking mainly about CEU. Got a couple questions if you wouldn't mind me asking:

1 - Was there an admissions test (if so, what was it testing and to what difficulty)?
2 - Was there an interview?
3 - Is there any scholarship scheme for students achieving A*A*A at A Level?

Many thanks :smile:

Hi, there was no admission test, just a 15 minute skype interview mainly asking about your motivation for studying dentistry and why Spain.
Need to fill out online application form first sending gcse results and A level predictions. Not sure about scholarship scheme; may be worth emailing admissions to check - address on website. Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest