The Student Room Group

What are some 'good' unis for chemical engineering?

I'm pretty certain I'd like to do chemical engineering, but wasn't really sure which unis would be for me. I've looked at Bath, UCL, and Nottingham among others (leaning towards Bath?), but I'm still kinda naive with uni research and whatnot.

I take biology, chemistry, and maths and as for course content, I'm quite flexible. What are some generally 'good' universities for it? (Sorry for the vagueness, but I guess I prioritise teaching the most?)

Any replies will be greatly appreciated - thanks! :smile:
Reply 1
Imperial? Strathclyde maybe?
Reply 2
Original post by Sinnoh
Imperial? Strathclyde maybe?

I think Imperial is too ambitious for me - is it worth applying if I don't have A*A*A* predicted (regardless of what my personal statement looks like)? I've heard that it's extremely competitive, but I don't know what that translates to at least grades-wise.
Original post by XiaoXiou
I'm pretty certain I'd like to do chemical engineering, but wasn't really sure which unis would be for me. I've looked at Bath, UCL, and Nottingham among others (leaning towards Bath?), but I'm still kinda naive with uni research and whatnot.

I take biology, chemistry, and maths and as for course content, I'm quite flexible. What are some generally 'good' universities for it? (Sorry for the vagueness, but I guess I prioritise teaching the most?)

The Open University
Reply 4
I think Imperial is too ambitious for me - is it worth applying if I don't have A*A*A* predicted (regardless of what my personal statement looks like)? I've heard that it's extremely competitive, but I don't know what that translates to at least grades-wise.

The offer rate for chemical engineering has increased the past few years, so who knows. The offer rate used to be quite low and they used to make 3 A* offers as standard, but this may have changed now that they've introduced linear A-levels and if they're taking on larger numbers.

info: https://www.admissionreport.com/imperial-college-london/meng-chemical-engineering

What are your predicted grades anyway?

What grades have you got or likely to get. What kind of university are you looking for. Big city or small city. Campus or city based. Where in the UK are you looking at. Very difficult to give any kind of advice without more info. Have you looked at the Complete university. That might help a bit but be wary of subject rankings as they are very unreliable
Reply 6

https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings/chemical-engineering
you can try looking at the league tables for university.
Reply 7
Original post by Mad_Dog_Graveson
The Open University

Haven't had a look yet - thanks for the suggestion.
Reply 8
Original post by Sinnoh
The offer rate for chemical engineering has increased the past few years, so who knows. The offer rate used to be quite low and they used to make 3 A* offers as standard, but this may have changed now that they've introduced linear A-levels and if they're taking on larger numbers.

info: https://www.admissionreport.com/imperial-college-london/meng-chemical-engineering

What are your predicted grades anyway?

Thanks for this! I haven't got any information for my predicted grades, but I've been getting A's my for end of unit tests and mocks - I don't want to be presumptuous and assume that I'll get 3 A*, but maybe 3 As?
Reply 9
Original post by swanseajack1
What grades have you got or likely to get. What kind of university are you looking for. Big city or small city. Campus or city based. Where in the UK are you looking at. Very difficult to give any kind of advice without more info. Have you looked at the Complete university. That might help a bit but be wary of subject rankings as they are very unreliable

I've been getting high A's for my mocks. As for the uni, I think I'd be looking at a city no further away than the Midlands (I'm from the South East). I'm not really fussed about whether it's big or small or campus or city based.
Reply 10

I've been told to use them with a pinch of salt - thanks!
Have a look at Southampton. I think Birmingham got good feedback from Chem Eng students.
Reply 12
Original post by ajj2000
Have a look at Southampton. I think Birmingham got good feedback from Chem Eng students.

Will do - thanks!
Will do - thanks!

It appears Southampton dont offer Chemical Engineering. Amongst the options worth looking at would be
Bath- Lovely old campus based on a hill above very historic beautiful city
Birmingham Campus university based about 2 miles out of the centre of Britain's 2nd largest city. Has its own train station.
Loghborough Campus university based outside a smallish town. Has a good reputation for engineering and for sports.
Nottingham Believe it is the biggest university in the UK. Out of town campus university in a very popular city
Swansea Based on a brand new campus about 3 miles outside of Swansea. Has very good employer links.
Reply 14
Thanks for this! I haven't got any information for my predicted grades, but I've been getting A's my for end of unit tests and mocks - I don't want to be presumptuous and assume that I'll get 3 A*, but maybe 3 As?

Depends a lot on your school, some schools predict students one above their mock grade, some give them the same. At least you've got plenty of time.
Reply 15
Original post by swanseajack1
It appears Southampton dont offer Chemical Engineering. Amongst the options worth looking at would be
Bath- Lovely old campus based on a hill above very historic beautiful city
Birmingham Campus university based about 2 miles out of the centre of Britain's 2nd largest city. Has its own train station.
Loghborough Campus university based outside a smallish town. Has a good reputation for engineering and for sports.
Nottingham Believe it is the biggest university in the UK. Out of town campus university in a very popular city
Swansea Based on a brand new campus about 3 miles outside of Swansea. Has very good employer links.

It appears so. Thank you for all the suggestions - I think I'll be looking for some open days next. Is the system in TSR ("Book a uni open day") a good one to use? Or would it be better to go to the individual websites for the unis?
Sheffield is also good for Chem Eng - maybe a bit far north for you but a lovely city and the Diamond is very impressive

https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/diamond

Quick Reply