The Student Room Group

Is it normal for your girlfriend to act differently around her parents with you?

Me and my gf have been together just short of a year now but over the past two months I'd say I've noticed her acting differently towards me when we're with her parents or friends. For example I went out for food with her and her parents last night and all night all she did was insult me, not listen to my opinions on anything and was just acting like she was showing off really. And the same can be said for a few weeks ago when we met her friend for a drink the same thing happened. But then after I'd dropped her off at her house and left she text me about 20 seconds after we said bye in the car and she was being all nice again.

Is this normal as sometimes I don't know whether I'm coming or going with her.
Have you asked her? She might not even realise she’s doing it and that it makes you feel bad x
Reply 2
Original post by SanityGone
Have you asked her? She might not even realise she’s doing it and that it makes you feel bad x

I'm scared of saying anything though in case she gets upset about it
Call her out on it, that isn't acceptable.
Reply 4
Original post by DiddyDecAlt
Call her out on it, that isn't acceptable.

If she does it again I think I'm going to. I'm going on holiday with her and her family in Summer and I won't be able to cope with her acting like that for a week.
Original post by Anonymous
If she does it again I think I'm going to. I'm going on holiday with her and her family in Summer and I won't be able to cope with her acting like that for a week.

Do it for it happens so it won't happen again.
I can understand that people act different around their parents with their boyfriend, but not around their friends. I know you don't want to upset her but you shouldn't have to put up with being insulted, you need to ask her in a non-aggressive way if anything is wrong as there's just a few things you've picked up on about how her attitude changes around different people.
Reply 7
Original post by bones-mccoy
I can understand that people act different around their parents with their boyfriend, but not around their friends. I know you don't want to upset her but you shouldn't have to put up with being insulted, you need to ask her in a non-aggressive way if anything is wrong as there's just a few things you've picked up on about how her attitude changes around different people.

I think I'll do that if she does it again.
Definitely ask her from the point of view of ‘Ive noticed this and I’m a bit worried - is it something I’ve done?’ than ‘you’re acting like this and it’s out of order’

Quick Reply

Latest