The Student Room Group

Would I be able to get into Oxford for Medicine with a Grade 5 in one of my GCSEs

I would really like to do Medicine at Oxford, but I got three 9s, six 8s and one 5 in French. The 8s also include Chemistry and Biology. I do Maths, Chemistry, Biology, Psychology and an EPQ for A levels, hoping to do really well on all of them. Would my grade 5 prevent Oxford from letting me in, since I am aware that for Medicine, Oxford is super competitive with GCSEs, and there will be plenty of students with straight 8s and more 9s trying to get into Medicine, so I am worried

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheAwkwardPeanut
I would really like to do Medicine at Oxford, but I got three 9s, six 8s and one 5 in French. The 8s also include Chemistry and Biology. I do Maths, Chemistry, Biology, Psychology and an EPQ for A levels, hoping to do really well on all of them. Would my grade 5 prevent Oxford from letting me in, since I am aware that for Medicine, Oxford is super competitive with GCSEs, and there will be plenty of students with straight 8s and more 9s trying to get into Medicine, so I am worried

A single grade 5? They'd toss the application in the bin, laughing into their port as they did so.

Have you looked at the website at all, as a budding medic who's obviously able to research things for him/herself....
Reply 2
What has happened has happened, just focus on your personal statement, potential work placements/other experience and preparation for your interview. There is no reason that one average grade, in French of all things, should hinder you.
https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics

Oxford is just very competitive in general. Remember you'd have to take the BMAT in October.
Original post by Reality Check
A single grade 5? They'd toss the application in the bin, laughing into their port as they did so.

Have you looked at the website at all, as a budding medic who's obviously able to research things for him/herself....

Snort!
Reply 5

No, they don't refuse to accept anyone with a grade 5.

But, it would mean you are starting with a below average position on the things they use to shortlist for interview and would need to perform above average on the BMAT to compensate. Oxford only allows you to take the Oct BMAT so you wouldn't know how well you performed at the point of application.

Basically it's a significant risk so it depends how open you are to risk on one of your choices.

I don't consider Oxford and Cambridge interchangeable but if you do, Cambridge would be a less risky choice assuming you are predicted all A*s and you keep on with Maths.
Reply 6
It is a possibility to not even include the grade 5 in your UCAS form is you don’t want to? But don’t worry, a single grade 5 won’t be very disadvantageous. Make sure you’re well prepared for the BMAT exam.
Reply 7
Original post by Deggs_14
It is a possibility to not even include the grade 5 in your UCAS form is you don’t want to? But don’t worry, a single grade 5 won’t be very disadvantageous. Make sure you’re well prepared for the BMAT exam.

That's terrible advice - you have to declare every secondary public exam result on your UCAS form and if you don't your application is considered fraudulent.
Original post by Deggs_14

No, this is not correct. All grades achieved in public examinations need to be declared on your UCAS form. Failure to do so risks having the entire application withdrawn!
Reply 9
Original post by 2500_2
That's terrible advice - you have to declare every secondary public exam result on your UCAS form and if you don't your application is considered fraudulent.

Okay, thanks for explaining. I wasn’t recommending them to do it but seeing if it was something they could do, but evidently this is not a good idea.

PRSOM what a great post!!! Reminds me of elder son, who loves to have port and Poirot evening with me.

Unless you want to work in a Parisian hospital, it won't disadvantage you, lol. An 8 and 9 both count as A*s. As nexttime says, ace the BMAT.
Original post by Oxford Mum
PRSOM what a great post!!! Reminds me of elder son, who loves to have port and Poirot evening with me.

Ooh, port and Poirot! I love the sound of that :smile:
Ooh, port and Poirot! I love the sound of that :smile:

Your invite is in the post...
Your invite is in the post...

I'll bring something along to eat as well. Is @harrysbar coming too?
I'll bring something along to eat as well. Is @harrysbar coming too?

Oooh hope so. Plus @Doones. Plus @Fullofsurprises. Plus @the bear Plus @Sammylou40. Plus @Scotney

Now that's some party.
Oooh hope so. Plus @Doones. Plus @Fullofsurprises. Plus @the bear Plus @Sammylou40. Plus @Scotney

Now that's some party.

I actually can't wait now. Maybe I could do a giant tiramisu :rambo:
I actually can't wait now. Maybe I could do a giant tiramisu :rambo:

Wow I love tiramisu. On the other hand, I will disinvite the others and just scoff all the tiramisu myself.
Wow I love tiramisu. On the other hand, I will disinvite the others and just scoff all the tiramisu myself.

I always promise myself I'll just have a little bit. And then another small little bit. And another...

A tiramisu is my go to 'I'm going to a party and need to bring something to eat' thing.

Now that's some party.

Sounds fun!
Ps. Can I swap the port for pink lemonade? 😝

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending