The Student Room Group

Transferring masters loan to new course and university

I’m currently studying a distance learning MSc part time. I’ve completed one semester but I am looking at transferring to a new course and university on distance learning part time course - I’ve had one payment of student finance already. Will I be able to use the rest of what I would have got for a new course and university? Obviously I know I wouldn’t be entitled to the full amount again, but can the loan be transferred to a new course and university?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by themediaman
I’m currently studying a distance learning MSc part time. I’ve completed one semester but I am looking at transferring to a new course and university on distance learning part time course - I’ve had one payment of student finance already. Will I be able to use the rest of what I would have got for a new course and university? Obviously I know I wouldn’t be entitled to the full amount again, but can the loan be transferred to a new course and university?

Hi,

When did your distance learning MSc begin? Do you plan to transfer to the new course immediately, or will this happen later?

Thanks, Graeme
Reply 2
Original post by Graeme SFE
Hi,

When did your distance learning MSc begin? Do you plan to transfer to the new course immediately, or will this happen later?

Thanks, Graeme

Started in Oct 2019. Planning on starting new course in June 2020 or Oct 2020 at latest.
Started in Oct 2019. Planning on starting new course in June 2020 or Oct 2020 at latest.

Thanks - so long as your original course hasn't ended and you haven't withdrawn from that course, you'll be fine to transfer. To do this, you can ask the new university to send us an electronic Change of Circumstances confirming the transfer. Once that's complete, you'll still be entitled to the remaining Postgraduate Loan that you're haven't been paid yet.

Warm regards, Graeme
Reply 4
I haven’t withdrawn however I have interrupted my studies, will this have an impact?
I haven’t withdrawn however I have interrupted my studies, will this have an impact?

That should't be a problem. So long as the new university is happy to transfer to you, this will be fine.

Thanks, Graeme
Reply 6
That should't be a problem. So long as the new university is happy to transfer to you, this will be fine.

Thanks, Graeme

I am a bit confused though, when I said transferring I meant the finance being transferred - it would be a new course at a new university so not sure if this is classed as a transfer as such? As in, start date is probably October 2020 so will be starting my MSc again.
I am a bit confused though, when I said transferring I meant the finance being transferred - it would be a new course at a new university so not sure if this is classed as a transfer as such? As in, start date is probably October 2020 so will be starting my MSc again.

Okay - in this scenario, would you withdraw from your current course, and then start the brand new course in October?

Thanks, Graeme
Reply 8
Okay - in this scenario, would you withdraw from your current course, and then start the brand new course in October?

Thanks, Graeme

I would assume this is what will happen yes?
I would assume this is what will happen yes?

Hi there,

In this case, you will not be eligible to continue to receive the Postgraduate Masters Loan (PGM).

Are there any compelling personal reasons as to why you are withdrawing from your current course?

Thanks, Ashley.
Original post by SFE Ashley
Hi there,

In this case, you will not be eligible to continue to receive the Postgraduate Masters Loan (PGM).

Are there any compelling personal reasons as to why you are withdrawing from your current course?

Thanks, Ashley.

It’s a bit weird, but I have called the postgraduate line today and they said as I have interrupted my studies, and not withdrawn, I can apply snd enrol on my new course starting Oct 2020 and have the new university send you a change of circumstances form - is this the case?

My interruption of studies on current course is until January 2021...
It’s a bit weird, but I have called the postgraduate line today and they said as I have interrupted my studies, and not withdrawn, I can apply snd enrol on my new course starting Oct 2020 and have the new university send you a change of circumstances form - is this the case?

My interruption of studies on current course is until January 2021...

When did your original postgraduate course start? Will you be entering year 1 of a a new course is October 2020?

Thanks, Ashley.
Original post by SFE Ashley
When did your original postgraduate course start? Will you be entering year 1 of a a new course is October 2020?

Thanks, Ashley.

Original started Oct 2019. I will be entering a new course either June 2020 or Oct 2020. Your postgraduate advisor was sure that despite me starting a new course in October 2020, as I won’t have withdrawn from previous course and I am just on an interruption, the rest of my loan could be transferred over?

If I started a new course in June 2020, would this change things? Or should I understand that because I will be starting year one of a new course, despite when it starts, my loan cannot be transferred?
Original started Oct 2019. I will be entering a new course either June 2020 or Oct 2020. Your postgraduate advisor was sure that despite me starting a new course in October 2020, as I won’t have withdrawn from previous course and I am just on an interruption, the rest of my loan could be transferred over?

If I started a new course in June 2020, would this change things? Or should I understand that because I will be starting year one of a new course, despite when it starts, my loan cannot be transferred?

You are not able to transfer to a course which starts in a different academic year. If you transfer to a course which starts in June 2020, this will still be classed as the 2019/20 academic year, so this would be okay, as long as the course is eligible for funding.

If you were to transfer to the course starting in October 2020, this would be classed as the 2020/21 academic year, and therefore you cannot transfer to a new course starting in this academic year.

Thanks, Ashley.
Thanks for this. So for clarification, the current university (one that I'll be moving from) said that before they can submit a change of circumstances form to SF, they need me to withdraw. Once this is done, they will submit a change of circumstance form to SF on the online portal, then my new university will complete a transfer in form on the online portal from their end? My new course starts in either May or June 2020, by the way. Is what my current university says the correct procedure - withdraw by filling in their withdrawal form and then they submit change of circumstances form to you, then I get new university to complete a transfer in form?
Thanks for this. So for clarification, the current university (one that I'll be moving from) said that before they can submit a change of circumstances form to SF, they need me to withdraw. Once this is done, they will submit a change of circumstance form to SF on the online portal, then my new university will complete a transfer in form on the online portal from their end? My new course starts in either May or June 2020, by the way. Is what my current university says the correct procedure - withdraw by filling in their withdrawal form and then they submit change of circumstances form to you, then I get new university to complete a transfer in form?

Good Morning.

You wouldn't need a withdrawal at all as long as there was an electronic change of circumstances confirming the transfer to the new University.

Warm Regards,

Erin.
Thanks but my current university are adament that for me to be able to have a change of circumstance form submitted by them, I need to withdraw first?
Thanks but my current university are adament that for me to be able to have a change of circumstance form submitted by them, I need to withdraw first?

If you withdraw then you will need to apply as a new student and provide evidence of compelling personal reasons in order to receive funding for the new course.

But if you get the new University to issue a transfer change of circumstances then this would take care of everything and funding can continue. No withdrawals required nor any input from the old University.

Warmest Regards,

Erin.
Original post by Erin SFE
If you withdraw then you will need to apply as a new student and provide evidence of compelling personal reasons in order to receive funding for the new course.

But if you get the new University to issue a transfer change of circumstances then this would take care of everything and funding can continue. No withdrawals required nor any input from the old University.

Warmest Regards,

Erin.

Thanks - so when I accept at the new university on the new course, I ask them to do a transfer form - but not tell my old university? As my new university advised I need my old one to do a change of circumstance form before they can do a transfer form?
Thanks - so when I accept at the new university on the new course, I ask them to do a transfer form - but not tell my old university? As my new university advised I need my old one to do a change of circumstance form before they can do a transfer form?

They wouldn't contact your old University at all. The change of circumstance comes directly to us from the new University telling us to transfer you to their course/institution and that's it done, we will handle the rest.

Warmest Regards,

Erin.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending