The Student Room Group

do you still get marks for using A Level methods and formula at GCSE

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 1st superstar
in the new spec NO only 1 mark would be awarded i think

I'll have to take your word for it, even though it seems entirely unfair.

Here's another example - suppose a question asks to find the HCF or LCM of a pair of numbers.
Usually this would require prime factor decomposition and a Venn diagram or comparing indices.
What would happen if no factor tree (or other method) was shown? It is entirely feasible for someone to do this mentally. Would they be marked down for not showing their method at this stage in the question?

And yet, a calculator has a button that does it for them. Alternatively, they could use a way involving cancelling fractions to find the HCF.
Original post by dextrous63

Here's another example - suppose a question asks to find the HCF or LCM of a pair of numbers.
Usually this would require prime factor decomposition and a Venn diagram or comparing indices.
What would happen if no factor tree (or other method) was shown? It is entirely feasible for someone to do this mentally. Would they be marked down for not showing their method at this stage in the question?

And yet, a calculator has a button that does it for them. Alternatively, they could use a way involving cancelling fractions to find the HCF.

i think so? also @Muttley79 can you confirm this

Wouldn't this be on the non-calculator paper?
Original post by Muttley79
Wouldn't this be on the non-calculator paper?

Could be on either, surely?
Could be on either, surely?

Unlikely ...
Unlikely ...

Why?
Why?

If it's the main focus of the question they wouldn't want a student to used any calculator - otherwise the question is pointless. Find me a question like this on a calculation paper; I can't remember one.
If it's the main focus of the question they wouldn't want a student to used any calculator - otherwise the question is pointless. Find me a question like this on a calculation paper; I can't remember one.

But the main focus isn't the factor tree bit. It's the use of the Venn Diagram (or other method) that is the real question.
Reply 68

Here's an example of a HCF/LCM question on a calculator paper (Q2):

https://revisionmaths.com/sites/mathsrevision.net/files/imce/1MA1_2H_QP_0.pdf

I don't have the full advice given to markers for this exam but I would expect that a correct answer with no working would get full marks for this question.

It's worth also looking at Q9 in this paper and looking at the mark scheme here:

https://revisionmaths.com/sites/mathsrevision.net/files/imce/1MA1_2H_MS_0.pdf

Notice the remark "12509 must come from correct working". But if they have a more accurate answer then this shows that they have followed a fully correct method and full marks will be awarded.
Reply 69
@dextrous63 actually I’m not as sure as I was about that question above and whether just the answer would get full marks. I’ll check with someone who marked that particular exam series and get back to you.

EDIT: I've had it confirmed to me that a correct answer with no working to this question would have received full marks.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Sir Cumference
@dextrous63 actually I’m not as sure as I was about that question above and whether just the answer would get full marks. I’ll check with someone who marked that particular exam series and get back to you.

EDIT: I've had it confirmed to me that a correct answer with no working to this question would have received full marks.

Thanks.

then great lol i still think that you should show a method unless you're in a dire situation (e.g you've forgotten the method so you decide to use the calculator to do it for you and then simply write the final answer)
Reply 72
then great lol i still think that you should show a method unless you're in a dire situation (e.g you've forgotten the method so you decide to use the calculator to do it for you and then simply write the final answer)

Yes definitely. I’m always a bit wary when I tell students about how exams are actually marked because it may lead to them not showing working for particular questions. This would be a very bad idea.
Yes definitely. I’m always a bit wary when I tell students about how exams are actually marked because it may lead to them not showing working for particular questions. This would be a very bad idea.

indeed especially on the new regular 9-1 GCSE, new linear A-levels etc. plus what if you accidentally type the wrong thing into your calculator and only write the final answer but got the method right? guess what you've lost 1-4 marks instantly (or potentially missed out on ECF marks) the examiner could perceive that the student does not want to put in the effort (or "cheated" if it's a mock). Always show your working!! plus it makes thing easier for all sides and no @dextrous63 it is not "unfair" that you don't get method marks for simply writing out the final answer
Reply 74
@dextrous63 it is not "unfair" that you don't get method marks for simply writing out the final answer

You do though for most questions...
You do though for most questions...

really? i never knew this i thought things changed?
Reply 76
really? i never knew this i thought things changed?

I explained how it works here:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=87249136&postcount=35
oh yeah thanks

no @dextrous63 it is not "unfair" that you don't get method marks for simply writing out the final answer
Yes it is. Why should someone who has the ability to solve problems mentally be penalised for being more gifted that those who need to write it all down?
Yes it is. Why should someone who has the ability to solve problems mentally be penalised for being more gifted that those who need to write it all down)

then why not write down all of your mental calculations (unless the question is only worth a mark)

Quick Reply

Latest