The Student Room Group

Worried my uni will affect my future career prospects

I basically got into my insurance uni September last year after failing to get grades (was predicted with AAA but ended up with BBC). Decided to take the insurance uni as opposed to resitting, but am now becoming really concerned that the status of my uni will affect my job prospects in the future. I'm hoping to do a masters at a higher ranked uni if this helps so working hard to get a first, but am I really overthinking it or should I be concerned?
Original post by Anonymous
I basically got into my insurance uni September last year after failing to get grades (was predicted with AAA but ended up with BBC). Decided to take the insurance uni as opposed to resitting, but am now becoming really concerned that the status of my uni will affect my job prospects in the future. I'm hoping to do a masters at a higher ranked uni if this helps so working hard to get a first, but am I really overthinking it or should I be concerned?

Hey,

Depending on the career you wish to pursue you may be able to contact some of the potential companies you wish to work for and ask them directly.

This will give you a clear answer either way and will even help you decide if a masters course is the right option or not.

I hope this helps,
Tom
:shakehand:
Original post by Anonymous

Quite honestly it depends on what your next steps are! So, for example, I completed my first degree at a uni which is no where on the rankings list (like 200th or something) because thats the only university there was in my country (small island) however I still then made it into a top UK university because of my performance in that degree and the interests and things I did alongside the degree (voluntary work, part time summer jobs etc). So I wouldn't be too super focused on the ranking. Instead I'd suggest you check masters courses requirements/speak to potential recruiters in the job industry you are interested in to find out whether the key modules you will be covering in the course will match up with their requirements :smile: Best of luck!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest