The Student Room Group

Can I retake my second year? Should I?

Hi

So I just got back some results and my grades for second year so far are looking like this: 42, 50, 52 with each essay being worth 90% of the module.

I'm rather unhappy with these grades and feel like I've set my self up for failure as I have to graduate with a 2:1 for my law degree. Second-year is worth 40% of the overall course.

Now: Should I retake second year in light of these results? Knowing I can get better grades? I know the year is not over yet but these results want me to just start the year all over again.

Will the university even allow me to retake? Does every university offer a second-year student a retake even if you got a 2:2 overall?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi

So I just got back some results and my grades for second year so far are looking like this: 42, 50, 52 with each essay being worth 90% of the module.

I'm rather unhappy with these grades and feel like I've set my self up for failure as I have to graduate with a 2:1 for my law degree. Second-year is worth 40% of the overall course.

Now: Should I retake second year in light of these results? Knowing I can get better grades? I know the year is not over yet but these results want me to just start the year all over again.

Will the university even allow me to retake? Does every university offer a second-year student a retake even if you got a 2:2 overall?

Hi there,

I would recommend speaking to your student administration team. I am not sure if this is possible as you have passed however it may be something they would consider if you could make a case for yourself.

My personal advice would be to not do so. You can always check to see if it possible to receive a first with your current grades and approach each piece of your third year submissions with that in mind. If not it is not the be all and end all.

You run the risk of completing the second year again to either do the same or worse. In addition you would then have the added pressure of not being able to be funded for another year if you were to fail your third year or something were to occur that causes you do not be able to continue your studies.

As I say, see what your options are from the student administration however if it is possible I would speak to your tutors and think on it before making a snap-decision.

I hope this helps.

Patrick :lep:
Reply 2
Original post by Liverpool Hope University
Hi there,

I would recommend speaking to your student administration team. I am not sure if this is possible as you have passed however it may be something they would consider if you could make a case for yourself.

My personal advice would be to not do so. You can always check to see if it possible to receive a first with your current grades and approach each piece of your third year submissions with that in mind. If not it is not the be all and end all.

You run the risk of completing the second year again to either do the same or worse. In addition you would then have the added pressure of not being able to be funded for another year if you were to fail your third year or something were to occur that causes you do not be able to continue your studies.

As I say, see what your options are from the student administration however if it is possible I would speak to your tutors and think on it before making a snap-decision.

I hope this helps.

Thank you for your answer!

So as I understand it I'm not automatically allowed a retake of second year if I pass the year? That's worrying...I had to juggle work with university this year and as a result had a low attendance, do you think thats typically enough reason for a uni to allow you to retake a year despite not technically failing it?

Also, I will most definitely be speaking to some people in the law department to get additional advice before making a decision. Thank you.
Thank you for your answer!

So as I understand it I'm not automatically allowed a retake of second year if I pass the year? That's worrying...I had to juggle work with university this year and as a result had a low attendance, do you think thats typically enough reason for a uni to allow you to retake a year despite not technically failing it?

Also, I will most definitely be speaking to some people in the law department to get additional advice before making a decision. Thank you.

Hello,

No it would be my understanding that it is not possible and I would not be sure about low attendance and a work / university balance be reason enough to allow you to repeat.

Like I say it would be best to get in touch with your university's admissions team to confirm as they will have the clear cut answer for you.

Regardless of the outcome you can always speak to your department for advice, I'm sure they will be happy whether or not you can repeat a year to sit down with you and talk about methods to improve your grades and help you try to achieve at first.

I hope this helps and best of luck with your studies.

Hi

If you pass an assessment, that's it. You don't get to retake to get better marks like at GCSE and A level - your first attempt is typically your only attempt (if you pass). It's extremely unlikely that you will be allowed to retake the whole year; many students have to balance a job and academic work, so it's not a mitigating circumstance.

The best and most sensible thing for you to do would be a knuckle down in this semester, to try to push your overall year average up. If you know you can better grades, it might be worth visiting your university's study skills department to help you develop time management strategies so that you can work and study (if you can't afford to quit your job).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending