The Student Room Group

3 months- GCSE Revision Technique Advice?

So I'm facing a bit of a dilemma currently in terms of planning out my future revision efficiently, as I'm looking to get grade 8s and above.

Many people recommend past papers as the very bane of their revision, some often claim its the only thing that will get you those grade 9s. But for me it seems impossible to work through them now when I know such little content- yet at the same time I find its a little too late to start pouring over my 300 page long textbooks and make notes.

With 3 months left, it seems a bit pointless to aim for such high grades BUT I would still like to try, so if anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate it!
Original post by Whoareyou?
So I'm facing a bit of a dilemma currently in terms of planning out my future revision efficiently, as I'm looking to get grade 8s and above.

Many people recommend past papers as the very bane of their revision, some often claim its the only thing that will get you those grade 9s. But for me it seems impossible to work through them now when I know such little content- yet at the same time I find its a little too late to start pouring over my 300 page long textbooks and make notes.

With 3 months left, it seems a bit pointless to aim for such high grades BUT I would still like to try, so if anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate it!

I wouldn’t do past papers if you haven’t learnt the core content yet. It’s logistically pointless. Start going through the revision guides for each topics, even if you do 25 minutes a day - it’s fine!
Reply 2
Original post by Hazelly
I wouldn’t do past papers if you haven’t learnt the core content yet. It’s logistically pointless. Start going through the revision guides for each topics, even if you do 25 minutes a day - it’s fine!

Thank you for the useful response, my only worry is if the maximum grade I could get would be capped at a 7 with revision guides such as CGP. Do you think I could still attain higher if I solely depended on those?
GCP revision guides are useful, they do not cap you at 7. I got a 8 in my mocks by using them and remembering information.
Also its not too late to take notes, just write down important things and then summarise them later on using flash cards etc
Thank you for the useful response, my only worry is if the maximum grade I could get would be capped at a 7 with revision guides such as CGP. Do you think I could still attain higher if I solely depended on those?

You could do quizzes alongside the revision guides? Have you thought of using online resources too?
Reply 5
Original post by ovetsss
GCP revision guides are useful, they do not cap you at 7. I got a 8 in my mocks by using them and remembering information.
Also its not too late to take notes, just write down important things and then summarise them later on using flash cards etc

Thank you for this, it's very reassuring to hear!
Reply 6
Original post by Hazelly
You could do quizzes alongside the revision guides? Have you thought of using online resources too?

Yes my teacher is a big fan of online resources such as Seneca learning but I'm not really a frequent user since it doesn't seem to cover the finer details needed for subjects like science.

I will try the quizzes however, thank you!
Yes my teacher is a big fan of online resources such as Seneca learning but I'm not really a frequent user since it doesn't seem to cover the finer details needed for subjects like science.

I will try the quizzes however, thank you!

That’s okay!

Have you looked at bitesize before? :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Hazelly
That’s okay!

Have you looked at bitesize before? :smile:

I have I just never really took the time to try any of the quizzes if I'm being honest.

But I will give it a try as it seems like a good way to consolidate my revision!
I have I just never really took the time to try any of the quizzes if I'm being honest.

But I will give it a try as it seems like a good way to consolidate my revision!

I wouldn’t use the quizzes on bite size to be fair. They are pretty basic for a lot of the subtopics! You could always use them when you start studying a new topic perhaps.

But the information they give can be quite useful.
Original post by Hazelly
I wouldn’t use the quizzes on bite size to be fair. They are pretty basic for a lot of the subtopics! You could always use them when you start studying a new topic perhaps.

But the information they give can be quite useful.

Thanks I will bear that in mind then and maybe use it as quick fire type revision.
Thanks I will bear that in mind then and maybe use it as quick fire type revision.

Good luck with your studies! :biggrin:
Original post by Hazelly
Good luck with your studies! :biggrin:

Thank you so much, I'm gonna need it lol!
Original post by ovetsss

I don't know where this came from. I have heard this too but I know of people who used CGP guides to learn/revise the content and got nearly full UMS in their exams!
Thank you so much, I'm gonna need it lol!

:hugs:

Quick Reply

Latest