The Student Room Group

Passing A-level

Hello, I’m new to this forum and I have some questions with which help would save me. I need the help of a person who understands this issue or has encountered such a situation, because I know the generally accepted point of view.
I am a home student from Russia, now I am preparing to pass A-Level in three subjects: Mathematics, Economics, English and AS level in Biology (I will explain why later). I'm in ICS Learn, and the studying is going well. However, as far as I know, to pass the A-level you need to get a mark of at least C in five GCSE subjects (in my case, IGCSE) but since I am in Russia I can take it only in international schools, many of which (regardless of of what is said on the Edexcel or Cambridge international website) do not accept private candidates or ask for very impressive amounts for "sending" work to England (for example, English International School asked me for $2,678.73 for five exams (taking into account the fact that the cost of the exam is about 50-150 pounds) this is a serious financial obstacle for me since I initially counted on the prices indicated in the official papers of Edexcel and CIE, however, I graduated from the 9th grade of a Russian school (at 16) and received a certificate (like GCSE but Russian with 17 subjects for a grade of no lower than B, if you count the equivalent.) My question is, can I find a school in the UK that will allow me to pass 3 A-level subjects without a GCSE, taking into account that I have a national analogue of the exam and have enough academic knowledge to pass all subjects on A? Is there such a practice for people who entered a British school after 9 classes (16 years) from countries such as Russia/India/any country that is not from the EU who passed the A-level without a GCSE, and whether it is a strict exam board requirement or is it left to the school?
Another argument for me is that I enter Germany (since I know the language and have relatives there) and Germany does not consider the GCSE, they are only interested in the A-level in three subjects to choose from and one naturally scientific.
Thank you for listening to my story in advance, I know that this is a difficult question, so any information where I can find out about this from the official side is welcome
Original post by wiesel
Hello, I’m new to this forum and I have some questions with which help would save me. I need the help of a person who understands this issue or has encountered such a situation, because I know the generally accepted point of view.
I am a home student from Russia, now I am preparing to pass A-Level in three subjects: Mathematics, Economics, English and AS level in Biology (I will explain why later). I'm in ICS Learn, and the studying is going well. However, as far as I know, to pass the A-level you need to get a mark of at least C in five GCSE subjects (in my case, IGCSE) but since I am in Russia I can take it only in international schools, many of which (regardless of of what is said on the Edexcel or Cambridge international website) do not accept private candidates or ask for very impressive amounts for "sending" work to England (for example, English International School asked me for $2,678.73 for five exams (taking into account the fact that the cost of the exam is about 50-150 pounds) this is a serious financial obstacle for me since I initially counted on the prices indicated in the official papers of Edexcel and CIE, however, I graduated from the 9th grade of a Russian school (at 16) and received a certificate (like GCSE but Russian with 17 subjects for a grade of no lower than B, if you count the equivalent.) My question is, can I find a school in the UK that will allow me to pass 3 A-level subjects without a GCSE, taking into account that I have a national analogue of the exam and have enough academic knowledge to pass all subjects on A? Is there such a practice for people who entered a British school after 9 classes (16 years) from countries such as Russia/India/any country that is not from the EU who passed the A-level without a GCSE, and whether it is a strict exam board requirement or is it left to the school?
Another argument for me is that I enter Germany (since I know the language and have relatives there) and Germany does not consider the GCSE, they are only interested in the A-level in three subjects to choose from and one naturally scientific.
Thank you for listening to my story in advance, I know that this is a difficult question, so any information where I can find out about this from the official side is welcome

Do me a favour and list out the questions you want answered 1.2.3.4.5 etc.

Also what is it you want to do with these qualifications?

You dont need GCSE if you want to homestudy A level.

If you intend to go to a UK uni they will almost certainly require GCSE Maths and English or equivalent.
Some unis also require a certain number of GCSE but that may not apply to international students.
Its possible they will recognise your Russian qualification.
Its unclear what the exam fee is for. Which exam board are you studying CIE and or Edexcel International, in which case you can take in Russia or an international exam centre or one of the UK boards, in which case you take in the UK. The exam fees you are talking about have two parts. 1. Exam marking fee, which covers the cost of having your exam marked by the exam board and then an exam centre fee, which covers the cost of you using an exam centre to sit the exam under secure conditions.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Do me a favour and list out the questions you want answered 1.2.3.4.5 etc.

Also what is it you want to do with these qualifications?

You dont need GCSE if you want to homestudy A level.

If you intend to go to a UK uni they will almost certainly require GCSE Maths and English or equivalent.
Some unis also require a certain number of GCSE but that may not apply to international students.
Its possible they will recognise your Russian qualification.
Its unclear what the exam fee is for. Which exam board are you studying CIE and or Edexcel International, in which case you can take in Russia or an international exam centre or one of the UK boards, in which case you take in the UK. The exam fees you are talking about have two parts. 1. Exam marking fee, which covers the cost of having your exam marked by the exam board and then an exam centre fee, which covers the cost of you using an exam centre to sit the exam under secure conditions.

Well let's structure.
1. Can I take A-level exams as a private (external candidate) without five GCSEs, but with a national analogue?
2. Can you give a link to examination centers in Britain (since I will go there anyway to pass the A-level) who accept external candidates without a GCSE or give information where I can find such centers? Perhaps there are other ways than writing a letter to each school.

What I plan to do with this qualification is to enter a German university (they accept British exams) but do not take into account the GCSE, only A-level.
I study Edexcel and I know the cost of exams which is indicated on their website and I counted on it, however, international schools take "extra fees" that can exceed the exam cost several times
Reply 3
Original post by wiesel
Well let's structure.
1. Can I take A-level exams as a private (external candidate) without five GCSEs, but with a national analogue?
2. Can you give a link to examination centers in Britain (since I will go there anyway to pass the A-level) who accept external candidates without a GCSE or give information where I can find such centers? Perhaps there are other ways than writing a letter to each school.

What I plan to do with this qualification is to enter a German university (they accept British exams) but do not take into account the GCSE, only A-level.
I study Edexcel and I know the cost of exams which is indicated on their website and I counted on it, however, international schools take "extra fees" that can exceed the exam cost several times

1. You don't need to take any GCSEs to take A levels (though you do need to understand the content in the relevant subject).
2. https://he-exams.wikia.org/wiki/HE_Exams_Wiki might provide some help in finding a centre.

The fee on Edexcel's website is their entry fee. The exam centre will add on quite a bit to cover their admin, invigilation costs etc. Also, if you want to take exams this Summer, the main entry deadline is 21 February and prices double after that.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by wiesel
Well let's structure.

As a private candidate there is no requirement to have any qualifications at all. Just pay the money, turn up and sit the exam.

If you were enrolling in a school then they can set GCSE criteria such as a 6 to be allowed to do that A level. As you are only interested in the exam then they are only interested in the money.

Examination centres are found by googling, they should do all boards and are only interested in the money.
You can also try the exam board site
https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/support/support-topics/understanding-our-qualifications/where-can-i-take-edexcel-exams.html

Also cloud learn has a link.
https://cloudlearn.co.uk/ExamCentres

Other than that google. Also check what the place looks like and any reviews on streetmap. Places in London are likely to be the most expensive. Its a mix of private colleges, state schools and private exam centres.

You should check your A levels dont involve coursework NEA assessments or practicals or anthing like orals and aurals for languages as you have to take care of those as well to pass the exam. The exam centres may not be able to accommodate you. Finding exam centres is not easy, but also shop around for price.

Lots of UK unis simply require GCSE Maths and English + A levels it depends on the uni.

As I explained in my post the cost of exam fees is the exam fee + exam centre fee + any additional fees for aurals , orals, any nea and practicals.
What you are proposing as far as I understand is taking A level Edexcel the same as UK students take as opposed to IAL which are the international A levels intended for international students. I would check whether English has an NEA and that AS Biology doesnt require you to pass the practical because that is expensive. I would think about £500 -600 extra and you need to book a place on a special course. You can check with your uni whether its compulsory.

I believe thats answered all your questions.
Reply 5
I would check whether English has an NEA and that AS Biology doesnt require you to pass the practical because that is expensive. I would think about £500 -600 extra and you need to book a place on a special course. You can check with your uni whether its compulsory.

@wiesel
Don't worry, AS Biology has no requirement to take practicals.
A level English - all varieties - has NEA. How have ICS suggested you can complete this?
Original post by Compost
@wiesel
Don't worry, AS Biology has no requirement to take practicals.
A level English - all varieties - has NEA. How have ICS suggested you can complete this?

Forgot to mention you in my post.
I wasnt sure about the practicals, they definitely offer such courses to cover AS content, so maybe that's just a money making thing.
Seems a lot of pullava to fly to the UK just to sit A level rather than do the international ones?
Reply 7
Forgot to mention you in my post.
I wasnt sure about the practicals, they definitely offer such courses to cover AS content, so maybe that's just a money making thing.
Seems a lot of pullava to fly to the UK just to sit A level rather than do the international ones?

Yes, particularly as IAL normally have a no-coursework option.
So I self taught a level Russian at home last year.
I used Harris Campbell exam centre in Kensington to sit the exams. If you are planning to sit exams in England I would recommend them.
You do not need GCSEs to sit an A level exam.
I did not have GCSEs when I sat mine.
If you have any more questions just ask.

Quick Reply

Latest