The Student Room Group

A-Level Maths Integration

Hi,
Not sure how to integrate this question...can anyone explain how I could solve it :smile:
Integrate: xe^x2 (limits 2 and 0)
Reply 1
Original post by aleenapaul
Hi,
Not sure how to integrate this question...can anyone explain how I could solve it :smile:

I'm assuming you mean xex2xe^{x^2}?

Notice that xx is a constant away from the derivative of x2x^2. Does that hint you towards a method?

If not, what have you already tried?
Original post by aleenapaul
Hi,

Use the substitution u=x^2 and go from there
Original post by Harrybeld

well u probably know how to differentiate e^x^2 (like any other e^x term) so try going from there. i think it's reverse chain rule.
Original post by juugsailorshawty
well u probably know how to differentiate e^x^2 (like any other e^x term) so try going from there. i think it's reverse chain rule.

A substitution would be way easier than using integration by parts (which I assume is what you mean by the reverse chain rule). The integral you would end up with would be harder than the one you started with.
A substitution would be way easier than using integration by parts (which I assume is what you mean by the reverse chain rule). The integral you would end up with would be harder than the one you started with.

no that isn't very reverse chain rulish to do integration by parts, there's a separate method called reverse chain rule however
Original post by juugsailorshawty
no that isn't very reverse chain rulish to do integration by parts, there's a separate method called reverse chain rule however

Sorry, but even mentioning "by parts" is nonsense. The reverse chain rule and by substitution are synonymous.
Original post by dextrous63
Sorry, but even mentioning "by parts" is nonsense. The reverse chain rule and by substitution are synonymous.

alright mate don't cry about it
Reply 8

thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest