The Student Room Group

Who should the bus seat be given up to?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ibbx
The old lady she’s frail, weak and old so obviously her the teenagers strong and healthy it’s only one leg he can use the other one to stand if worse come to worse he’ll just sit on the floor

How do you know? Assuming that someone is healthy just because ‘they look fine’ is ridiculous.
Original post by Ibbx
And how so do you know if the teen has a outgoing disability ? exactly you don’t 🤷*♂️ Lmfao smh plus if he did have a outgoing disability that obviously would’ve being clarified beforehand but clearly wasn’t 🤷*♂️ We’re only talking about him having having crunches nothing else so that’s irrelevant And how do you know the teen has a higher potential to contribute to the economy? Exactly you don’t Period

again we still don't know the teen's full story just like we don't know the full story of the old lady
Reply 42
Original post by StriderHort
Does this bus have CCTV?

Let’s say yes...

I’m curious where this is going 😂
Reply 43
Original post by MidgetFever
Some people are underestimating that some old people are badass as hell. :tongue:

That being said, I'd probably say the old lady too. Couldn't tell you why other than my moral instincts are telling me that it's more appropriate.

That is very true, some old people are stronger than us mere mortals...

Saying that, I think logically I would give my seat up for the teenager. He seems like he’s going to be in more immediate pain standing up.

However, in practise I imagine I’d give up my seat to the old lady first, since I imagine ignoring her wouldn’t feel morally sound 😅
Original post by DiddyDecAlt
At the grand age of 26 I am already getting significant back, hip and knee problems. But nobody can see that, to the outside world I'm a healthy looking young man.

I have the same problem although I’m older. The amount of abuse o get is ridiculous. I would never make assumptions. My disabilities are hidden
Original post by CTLeafez
Let’s say yes...

I’m curious where this is going 😂

oh.. .. good. I just wanted to make sure everyone was..safe.

I certainly wasn't planning to strike the teenager heavily in the back and shout "I'm a Chiropractor! This man needs urgent help! his broken leg has spread to his hyperback! He needs to lie down flat on the floor immediately!"
Original post by 1st superstar
what if they live in London where driving around is a nightmare?

They live in Leamington Spa 👍
Original post by Sammylou40
I have the same problem although I’m older. The amount of abuse o get is ridiculous. I would never make assumptions. My disabilities are hidden

I have never had any negative reactions for sitting in priority seats apart from fat people who seem to think that are entitled to everything.
You are at on a jam-packed bus during rush hour and your journal is going to take an hour to get to the final destination...

A frail old lady and a teenager wearing a leg cast and crutches both get onto the bus at the same time.

Assume no one else is polite enough to give up their seat so there's no way of them both getting to sit down.

Who would you give up your bus seat to?

tbh to no one. Is their issue if they don't have a seat not mine. LOL
Reply 49
Original post by emily_000
tbh to no one. Is their issue if they don't have a seat not mine. LOL

But selfish though...

Sometimes you’ve got to keep an eye out for those who may be in more need than you.
Reply 50
But selfish though...

Sometimes you’ve got to keep an eye out for those who may be in more need than you.

Sometimes you have to put yourself first as well. There are many other seats occupied by people on shorter journeys, they can give their seats up.
who ever has the longest journey
Original post by Bio 7
Sometimes you have to put yourself first as well. There are many other seats occupied by people on shorter journeys, they can give their seats up.

Agreed like I gotta go from my bus stop (one of the early/first bus stops) to the terminal everyday luckily due to this I can always find a seat :tongue:. Before anyone says "walk to your destination" I can't it would take me like 2hrs+ I would 100% walk there if I could but I can't
Neither, don’t want to be sacked as a bus driver.
Reply 54
Original post by CanRelate
who ever has the longest journey

Assuming they both have the same length journey.
Generally, if I was taking a journey of less than 10 minutes, I would be prepared to vacate my seat if someone came on who needed it. As to an elderly person or someone with a broken leg, I would ask them to decide between themselves.

However, if my journey was going to take another hour, and I wasn't sat in any seat designated for disabled or elderly people, then I wouldn't move. I have vertigo and joint hypermobility syndrome, so standing in a moving vehicle (bus or train) for an extended period of time is very difficult for me.
Reply 56
Original post by DiddyDecAlt
Neither, I need my seat.

Legend
Original post by PhoenixFortune
However, if my journey was going to take another hour, and I wasn't sat in any seat designated for disabled or elderly people, then I wouldn't move. I have vertigo and joint hypermobility syndrome, so standing in a moving vehicle (bus or train) for an extended period of time is very difficult for me.

Not to sound rude but why don't you sit in the priority seat? Even if you are in a disabled seat you still shouldn't have to give it up. Fight for your case you should have every right to sit in a priority seat, get a blue badge, get discounts on public transport etc IMO but yeah you do you 🤗
As I sit at the back downstairs (used to be warmer) it is unlikely that this would happen, as I hope two people nearer the front would have given up theirs.
I would say the teen with the cast on someone else give the old lady a seat

Quick Reply

Latest