Leg Muscle Pains

Watch
PorkBunFun
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I often get strong muscle pain in my legs after doing workouts. I feel I am stretching them enough and I am an active person. Is there a particular reason this occurs? And how can I soothe them post workout? Any help is greatly appreciated!
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by PorkBunFun)
I often get strong muscle pain in my legs after doing workouts. I feel I am stretching them enough and I am an active person. Is there a particular reason this occurs? And how can I soothe them post workout? Any help is greatly appreciated!
How long and serious are your workouts>
Where abouts in your leg?
What leg work do you do?
How much cardio are you doing?
Is it beyond doms?
errrr99
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I've heard serious sportsmen do ice baths (!) but I have not yet tried this, it sounds too uncomfortable just to relieve the pain post-workout.

There is ibuprofen gel that works (must not overdose so follow the instructions and don't take ibu tablets as well).

There is paracetamol that helps too if you're desperate. To be honest if you need this much painkiller maybe you should reduce the frequency of your legs workout...good on you for building up your legs though!
Angry cucumber
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
What leg work do you do?
Is it beyond doms?
this
Last edited by Angry cucumber; 1 month ago
PorkBunFun
Rep:
?
What leg work do you do?
Is it beyond doms?
they're not too serious. I usually so around 4 sets of 8 reps around each different workout. I do goblet squats, calf press and leg presses mixed in with a few different things. I often try to do at least one session for legs a week. Cardio wise I walk a lot (average around 15,000+ steps a day) and I hike. I also sometimes go running about 2 times a week. also I'm not too sure if it is beyond doms
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
they're not too serious. I usually so around 4 sets of 8 reps around each different workout. I do goblet squats, calf press and leg presses mixed in with a few different things. I often try to do at least one session for legs a week. Cardio wise I walk a lot (average around 15,000+ steps a day) and I hike. I also sometimes go running about 2 times a week. also I'm not too sure if it is beyond doms
Its hard to id pain, but you know when its wrong listen to your body etc.

This is the thing for doms.
https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/exercis...fter-exercise/
The other is you are exercising with incorrect form and injuring yourself.
The other is you have an injury.
The other I have heard of is some people lose minerals really fast so they can get pains in the legs. Cant remember what its called but happens when you lose a lot of electrolytes. Ive met a few in the gym who had consistently painful legs and they werent overdoing it.
Worth checking electroyte imbalance.
You can try eating a banana or just getting an electrolyte drink and try that, to see if it improves.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/this-...9MEFqgkycFd_YI

What you are looking for is injuries as the pain doesnt go away and it feels wrong, so you need to stay off exercise and see what happens, if not right after a few days you might need to see the GP. You want to avoid injuring or making it worse. Safety is key.

If it feels wrong then stop and go back gradually. never exercise on an injury.

Thats how I approach it. I have never had the issue other than doms initially when I return or if its an injury im always on the lookout for and know whats not normal. Never worried about electrolyte because always drink them and have a banana.
PorkBunFun
Rep:
?
Its hard to id pain, but you know when its wrong listen to your body etc.

This is the thing for doms.
https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/exercis...fter-exercise/
The other is you are exercising with incorrect form and injuring yourself.
The other is you have an injury.
The other I have heard of is some people lose minerals really fast so they can get pains in the legs. Cant remember what its called but happens when you lose a lot of electrolytes. Ive met a few in the gym who had consistently painful legs and they werent overdoing it.
Worth checking electroyte imbalance.
You can try eating a banana or just getting an electrolyte drink and try that, to see if it improves.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/this-...9MEFqgkycFd_YI

What you are looking for is injuries as the pain doesnt go away and it feels wrong, so you need to stay off exercise and see what happens, if not right after a few days you might need to see the GP. You want to avoid injuring or making it worse. Safety is key.

If it feels wrong then stop and go back gradually. never exercise on an injury.

Thats how I approach it. I have never had the issue other than doms initially when I return or if its an injury im always on the lookout for and know whats not normal. Never worried about electrolyte because always drink them and have a banana.
Thank you very much for the advice! duly noted
errrr99
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I cannot see any time for rest and recovery for your legs if you're walking 15k steps a day and 2x running every week, plus a hike.
If you were mostly sedentary for ...3 days after the legs workout (i.e. less than 2k steps daily), I would expect your DOMS would be much better after a few sessions (i.e. a few weeks).

Your leg workout looks simply too tough to do without cutting down on your other activities...or reducing the weights used and/or the number of sets etc
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (258)
33.81%
No (505)
66.19%

Watched Threads