The Student Room Group

3 a levels on the same day?

I have my psychology, economics and English language exams on the 18th of May. I’m just thinking are the college going to make me sit all 3 exams on the same day because I have economics and English language in the morning and I have psychology in the afternoon. All 3 exams are 2 hours each.. help??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rxmeesha
I have my psychology, economics and English language exams on the 18th of May. I’m just thinking are the college going to make me sit all 3 exams on the same day because I have economics and English language in the morning and I have psychology in the afternoon. All 3 exams are 2 hours each.. help??

Yes - that doesn't exceed the limit for one day. At least you know and can plan for it.
What's the problem like???
Reply 3
Three possibilities here.

1) it may not be the final exam timetable, they may yet make changes to it.
2) you will sit the exams on different days, with some measures in place so that you are isolated from the internet
3) you will sit all 3 exams on the same day. Unlikely, because I think if you've 6 hours of exams on one day you have to spread them out.
Original post by PetitePanda
What's the problem like???

maybe it would hurt your hand writing so much? idk lol
Original post by Muttley79
Yes - that doesn't exceed the limit for one day. At least you know and can plan for it.

What is the limit. I know there have been cases where students have to stay with staff members overnight and not been allowed to have contact with anyone else until the exam has been taken the next day. I assume OP will have to be kept separate from other students for that day. Will there be one at 9 another at 12 and the last one at 4 or what,
Original post by swanseajack1
What is the limit. I know there have been cases where students have to stay with staff members overnight and not been allowed to have contact with anyone else until the exam has been taken the next day. I assume OP will have to be kept separate from other students for that day. Will there be one at 9 another at 12 and the last one at 4 or what,

Probably 9, 11:30, 2pm or something like that - 6 hours in a day is considered OK.

The OP will be kept away from other after the first exam so they don;t communicate with those who sat it at 9am.
Reply 7
I know there have been cases where students have to stay with staff members overnight

This stopped happening around 2004 when they started getting worried about child protection and yet it never dies on TSR.
Reply 8
Original post by Sinnoh

2) you will sit the exams on different days, with some measures in place so that you are isolated from the internet
3) you will sit all 3 exams on the same day. Unlikely, because I think if you've 6 hours of exams on one day you have to spread them out.

1) The timetable was finalised in June 2019.
2) The rules are clear, if its 6 hours or less then they all have to be done in a single day
3) This is what will happen.
Original post by Compost
This stopped happening around 2004 when they started getting worried about child protection and yet it never dies on TSR.

It was still ongoing in 2015

https://schoolsweek.co.uk/pupils-forced-to-stay-in-teachers-homes-during-exams/
Original post by Sinnoh

1) No - the timetable is final now
2) No - six hours is fine
3) This is what will happen :smile:

I'm amazed as the rules were changed in 2003 to allow students to stay in their own homes in isolation and that has been the recommendation ever since. I can only assume schools don't bother to read the regulations properly.

Several of the statements in the article are not true, e.g. rules preventing pupils from sitting exams for more than six hours a day had resulted in more requests for extra time for pupils with additional education needs.

1). The 2 situations in the statement that overnight supervisions has caused more request for extra time are not related. The journalist clearly hasn't understood the problem.
2). There are no rules preventing pupils for sitting exams for more then six hours in a day and never have been. The rules say that, if you have more than 6 hours in one day, you may move one to the following day in exceptional circumstances. They don't define exceptional circumstances so basically anyone with more than 6 hours can, but many students with only 7 hours or less choose to do the lot in one day.
I suppose if those are the rules then that is it but it seems very unfair. Would the student be able to claim special consideration as they are at a clear disadvantage in comparison to their peers throughout the country both in terms of preparation time the night before an exam and also tiredness during the exam. Half hour breaks dont seem fair.

Original post by Compost
I'm amazed as the rules were changed in 2003 to allow students to stay in their own homes in isolation and that has been the recommendation ever since. I can only assume schools don't bother to read the regulations properly.

Several of the statements in the article are not true, e.g. rules preventing pupils from sitting exams for more than six hours a day had resulted in more requests for extra time for pupils with additional education needs.

1). The 2 situations in the statement that overnight supervisions has caused more request for extra time are not related. The journalist clearly hasn't understood the problem.
2). There are no rules preventing pupils for sitting exams for more then six hours in a day and never have been. The rules say that, if you have more than 6 hours in one day, you may move one to the following day in exceptional circumstances. They don't define exceptional circumstances so basically anyone with more than 6 hours can, but many students with only 7 hours or less choose to do the lot in one day.
I suppose if those are the rules then that is it but it seems very unfair. Would the student be able to claim special consideration as they are at a clear disadvantage in comparison to their peers throughout the country both in terms of preparation time the night before an exam and also tiredness during the exam. Half hour breaks dont seem fair.

If a student chooses to do more than 6 hours in a day then the school can claim special consideration for them for the final exam that day, but it would only increase the mark by 2% for that exam.

Other than that, it's down to the school to arrange things as best they can to make it work as well as possible for the student.
It doesnt seem a very fair system. One person will have all the time in the world to take a single exam in a day whilst the other is pressurised to take 3 with 1/2 hour breaks. The one with single daily exams gets AAA whilst the one taking 3 exams in a day gets ABC so the first student gets into their chosen university whilst the other doesnt. Something radically wrong with our exam system. Shame Gove didnt concentrate on that instead of AS levels
Unfortunately I know of some students who had to sit 3 exams in a day so you're likely to do the same :frown: it sucks and you just need to power through :frown:
It doesnt seem a very fair system. One person will have all the time in the world to take a single exam in a day whilst the other is pressurised to take 3 with 1/2 hour breaks. The one with single daily exams gets AAA whilst the one taking 3 exams in a day gets ABC so the first student gets into their chosen university whilst the other doesnt.

It's unlikely to make that much difference. Students have months of warning that this is going to happen and there's a limit to what you can learn the night before an exam. Yes, 6 hours of exams is quite tough, but the average working day is longer than 6 hours, 6 hours is not an unreasonable burden I had 4 candidates who had the same clash with 7 hours last year and did them all in the day. I can't remember their exact results but none of them got worse than an A in any of the subjects and at least 2 of them got 3 A*.
Original post by Compost
It's unlikely to make that much difference. Students have months of warning that this is going to happen and there's a limit to what you can learn the night before an exam. Yes, 6 hours of exams is quite tough, but the average working day is longer than 6 hours, 6 hours is not an unreasonable burden I had 4 candidates who had the same clash with 7 hours last year and did them all in the day. I can't remember their exact results but none of them got worse than an A in any of the subjects and at least 2 of them got 3 A*.

Your students are obviously very able. To some lesser able students it will have an effect and lead to them missing their offers. 3 exams of 2 hours with 1/2 hour breaks isnt really acceptable and is putting those students at a disadvantage compared to others of that there surely cannot be any dispute irrespective of results. The whole purpose of national exams is so students can be accurately compared to others and this isnt the case here. I also dont believe in separate exam boards. Everybody should be sitting the same paper at the same time.
Reply 18
Original post by Muttley79

But I'm sure the limit is 6 hours for A level exams, and that is exactly 6 hours. And also if you're a student that requires extra time for exams I'm sure that will exceed 6 hours too?
Original post by rxmeesha
But I'm sure the limit is 6 hours for A level exams, and that is exactly 6 hours. And also if you're a student that requires extra time for exams I'm sure that will exceed 6 hours too?

If you meet the criteria for additional time I suggest you discuss this with your college's examination officer. They will probably be best able to advise you and liaise with te exam board. I would do that immediately so everything can be put in place in advance of the exams.

Quick Reply

Latest