The Student Room Group

Uni Manchester Interview Cancelled

Hello! So I applied to Manchester and received an interview invitation early on in December. The interview is a mandatory step of the admissions process for everyone applying to this program. As I don’t live in the UK (EU student), I had to book flights, hotel rooms, etc - all non-refundable. Less that two weeks before my scheduled interview, I received an email from Manchester, saying that the interview wouldn’t take place, due to strikes (the other parts of the Visit Day will still happen). Instead, I have to complete an online questionnaire.
I’m really confused, as they don’t provide any information regarding the deadline for competing this questionnaire, or even any additional information besides a link.
I guess I just wanted to ask if anyone has dealt with this before (cancelled interviews, completing the online forms instead) and what you did? Does this diminish my chances at getting in?
Thanks!
Original post by A-1234
Hello! So I applied to Manchester and received an interview invitation early on in December. The interview is a mandatory step of the admissions process for everyone applying to this program. As I don’t live in the UK (EU student), I had to book flights, hotel rooms, etc - all non-refundable. Less that two weeks before my scheduled interview, I received an email from Manchester, saying that the interview wouldn’t take place, due to strikes (the other parts of the Visit Day will still happen). Instead, I have to complete an online questionnaire.
I’m really confused, as they don’t provide any information regarding the deadline for competing this questionnaire, or even any additional information besides a link.
I guess I just wanted to ask if anyone has dealt with this before (cancelled interviews, completing the online forms instead) and what you did? Does this diminish my chances at getting in?
Thanks!

Soeak to the international team, explain the bookings and expense and try to get an interview over skype for the next time.
It will not affect your chances at all.
The UCU, one of the major unions for HE workers, successfully balloted for strike action earlier last year. As such many academics will be on strike during this period. The UCU, in line with legal requirements, made this information available and all universities should have known the dates for these strikes well in advance. Thus, they should've advised applicants of the potential for strike action to disrupt interviews, and if they haven't done so I imagine there is certainly scope for legally pursuing them for your incurred costs...

In the first instance, as above, you should contact the university in question to find out more and specifically query your expenses - and point out that they have known about these strikes for quite a while and highlight whether they notified you of this (and if they did, when, and if not, query why).

For reference, I'm pretty sure these strikes are a continuation of the ones the UCU agreed back in November or so last year, so there is little defence on the university's part for not informing you etc.
Reply 3
Original post by artful_lounger
The UCU, one of the major unions for HE workers, successfully balloted for strike action earlier last year. As such many academics will be on strike during this period. The UCU, in line with legal requirements, made this information available and all universities should have known the dates for these strikes well in advance. Thus, they should've advised applicants of the potential for strike action to disrupt interviews, and if they haven't done so I imagine there is certainly scope for legally pursuing them for your incurred costs...

In the first instance, as above, you should contact the university in question to find out more and specifically query your expenses - and point out that they have known about these strikes for quite a while and highlight whether they notified you of this (and if they did, when, and if not, query why).

For reference, I'm pretty sure these strikes are a continuation of the ones the UCU agreed back in November or so last year, so there is little defence on the university's part for not informing you etc.

Thank you!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending