The Student Room Group

Mathematics at university whats your advice/perception?

I'm currently doing 3 a levels consisting of Further maths and Maths Edexcel and AQA Physics. I revise on average 6 hours a day during weekdays and 12 hours during weekends. Would this be a good practice for university as I am planning to do a degree in mathematics in September? What I mean by this is that how much work do you need to do to secure a good grade at the end of each year at university. Second question: What books/websites would you recommend for self-studying before a mathematics degree as I'm going to be a no-life neek over this summer.
Maybe STEP? People say those questions are more similar to uni Maths questions than A-levels.
I never understand, when people say they revise x hours a day, does that include school or not?
Reply 3
Original post by ZdYnm8vuNR
I never understand, when people say they revise x hours a day, does that include school or not?

That’s outside of school. School is guidance but the success comes from your own work.
Original post by mathsisuwu
That’s outside of school. School is guidance but the success comes from your own work.

That sounds far too much time - if you need to spend that long revising then I worry how you will cope at university. Which universities have you applied to?
Honestly uni level maths is entirely different to A-level style maths. There will be points where you are just banging your head against a wall and can't make any progress, and then you'll have a lightbulb moment and figure out how to finish a proof. It's not like A-level where you just need to chug through the process and make sure you haven't made any mistakes.

I'd suggest looking at something like Spivak's Calculus (or equivalently any introductory analysis book) and try and work through some of the exercises to get an idea for how maths at uni is done. Fundamentally though with degree level maths you can't just throw time at it and hope that putting your nose to the grindstone will carry you through - you need to revise smart, not hard (I'm speaking from experience here :tongue: ).
Original post by artful_lounger
Honestly uni level maths is entirely different to A-level style maths. There will be points where you are just banging your head against a wall and can't make any progress, and then you'll have a lightbulb moment and figure out how to finish a proof. It's not like A-level where you just need to chug through the process and make sure you haven't made any mistakes.

I'd suggest looking at something like Spivak's Calculus (or equivalently any introductory analysis book) and try and work through some of the exercises to get an idea for how maths at uni is done. Fundamentally though with degree level maths you can't just throw time at it and hope that putting your nose to the grindstone will carry you through - you need to revise smart, not hard (I'm speaking from experience here :tongue: ).

Are you studying Maths now then?
Original post by Muttley79
Are you studying Maths now then?

No, that's what I originally studied before I swapped to engineering.
Reply 8

Literally never revised 6 hours a day in my life. You'll be getting 3 months off at least between finishing A-levels and starting uni. Spend that time in a way that you can be proud of.
Reply 9
That sounds far too much time - if you need to spend that long revising then I worry how you will cope at university. Which universities have you applied to?

I’ve applied to Southampton, KCL, Leeds, Birmingham but I got I rejected by Warwick. I spend so much time because of stress and I don’t want to be cocky for the exams. My idea is that if I keep doing work then I will improve day by day. I’m addicted to working honestly.
Reply 10
Original post by artful_lounger

Very insightful thanks 😄. I’m so determined to get the best results that I can. I just can’t sleep some nights because of what might happen on results day 😅.
I’ve applied to Southampton, KCL, Leeds, Birmingham but I got I rejected by Warwick. I spend so much time because of stress and I don’t want to be cocky for the exams. My idea is that if I keep doing work then I will improve day by day. I’m addicted to working honestly.

I teach Maths so I am concerned that that sounds too much and you may end up just feeling tired. It's about working smarter e.g. using any test or past paper to hone revision [formative feedback].

I'd cut down a bit and give yourself a break every hour or so. Go for a walk or just relax - honestly you may find you cover more ground.

Which websites are you using? Which uni are you thinking of firming?
Very insightful thanks 😄. I’m so determined to get the best results that I can. I just can’t sleep some nights because of what might happen on results day 😅.

There are always good unis in clearing - you are working too hard and that's why you aren't sleeping :smile:
Reply 13
I teach Maths so I am concerned that that sounds too much and you may end up just feeling tired. It's about working smarter e.g. using any test or past paper to hone revision [formative feedback].

I'd cut down a bit and give yourself a break every hour or so. Go for a walk or just relax - honestly you may find you cover more ground.

Which websites are you using? Which uni are you thinking of firming?

When I want to self-teach myself I use Dr frost maths. I use exam solutions, revisionmaths and mathsmadeeasy to find past and practice papers. Recently I’ve been doing crashmaths papers which I find really good as it has challenging questions on there too. I’m thinking of firming Southampton because when I went to the open day, I got good vibes from there. Thanks for the advice 😄.
When I want to self-teach myself I use Dr frost maths. I use exam solutions, revisionmaths and mathsmadeeasy to find past and practice papers. Recently I’ve been doing crashmaths papers which I find really good as it has challenging questions on there too. I’m thinking of firming Southampton because when I went to the open day, I got good vibes from there. Thanks for the advice 😄.

My sister did a Maths degree at Southampton and still lives there :smile:

Dr Frost Maths is very good ...
can economics be just as good as physics when applying to study maths (along with fm and maths)

Quick Reply

Latest