The Student Room Group

Can't afford to go to offer holders day

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Deggs_14
Are you a stalker then? 🙃
I’m just surprised because going to the offer holder day as I will be doing is an important step in making the final decision of what university you want to firm. It seems like the travel bursary will cover them, and of course I know about social inequality in the U.K. thank you.

Offer days are more useful than open days, granted, but they are not essential. I have to agree that the way you phrased “can you really not afford £50 for something that will determine your future?” was pretty crass and didn’t show any hint of understanding about true social inequality but rather champagne inequality. Do you really think someone would come on here asking that sort of question if they could afford it?

It appears that the Durham travel bursary will cover the OPs predicament but they will not be the only prospective student having these concerns and worries - far from it.
How can you afford to pay university living costs and accommodation if you can’t afford to go to the open day? Do you have university bursaries?

How do you think...
I’m just surprised because going to the offer holder day as I will be doing is an important step in making the final decision of what university you want to firm. It seems like the travel bursary will cover them, and of course I know about social inequality in the U.K. thank you very much.

Lmao if you want to use the word stalker at least use it properly. But not really :tongue:

It seems like you don't know although. Because the offer holder day is of course is important but in the context of social inequality as I mentioned, some people cannot afford to buy all the food they need, an offer holder day is not the main priority. I just found it surprising how you did not think that to some people, it is the way it is, even though you and me are not in the same situation.

OP's main struggle is paying it for it upfront because the travel bursary will cover them after only, because some people's families do live pay check to pay check
Original post by Simbasoul
Offer days are more useful than open days, granted, but they are not essential. I have to agree that the way you phrased “can you really not afford £50 for something that will determine your future?” was pretty crass and didn’t show any hint of understanding about true social inequality but rather champagne inequality. Do you really think someone would come on here asking that sort of question if they could afford it?

It appears that the Durham travel bursary will cover the OPs predicament but they will not be the only prospective student having these concerns and worries - far from it.

Yeah exactly, that was my point. If someone was just deciding what to spend money on this would not really be asked. But OP is genuinely looking for a solution to something that is not really possible to them.

I just would not have expected it from someone supposed to do Geography out of all people, because social inequality is such a big concept. But that's just my personal experience from studying Geography and what the subject means to me so oh well...
I think honest and (best?) advice I would give

Is take a loan out from the Bank for the train ticket cost if that is possible? I don't know how limits or whatever work
Then use that money for the ticket ONLY so it does not build up
Then when Durham gives you the money back, use that to pay the loan back

I don't personally think borrowing from friends etc is a good idea because people can change their words and minds but at least a bank is a legal outlet
You could try: getting advance tickets (which are much cheaper) or getting a railcard. If you're paying £150 for a train ticket you don't have a railcard, so you can get either a 16-17 railcard for £30, taking your total cost down to £105, or (if you're 18) a 16-25 railcard for £30, taking your total cost down to £135.
Can you really not afford £50? For something that will determine your future? Can your parents or relatives not help?

It's not particularly constructive to needle the OP about this, and shaming the OP about what money they do or don't have to spend is obviously inappropriate.

For some families £50 is a monthly food budget - and for some such families they have very little money available for spending beyond that once everything else is accounted for.

This is also the kind of condescending attitude which puts a lot of students from working class or similar backgrounds off the prospect of university study, particularly at perceived "elite" universities, which contributes to the almost complete lack of social mobility in the UK.

Obviously the above may not be the OPs exact position, but it's entirely possible students in a similar position who may fit the above background will find this thread in future - and comments like these can still affect prospective applicants even if they are historical.
(edited 4 years ago)
Don't worry about it since it's optional.

So really only go if you can afford :smile:.
Original post by Anonymous
Going on anon as seen you around

But can you not be patronising? I've not been in the same situation as OP but some people are out here trying to make ends meet, and £50 is unaffordable due to parental situations and backgrounds etc or just anything else

Also you applied for Geography at Cam and it is quite disappointing you don't know the extend of social inequality in the UK... Some people struggle to buy food so a train ticket is a luxury

Jesus, how is one so arrogant
I’m just surprised because going to the offer holder day as I will be doing is an important step in making the final decision of what university you want to firm. It seems like the travel bursary will cover them, and of course I know about social inequality in the U.K. thank you very much.

And as important as that step is not everyone can afford to make that decision? How can you be so out of touch and give dumb replies like “you’re a stalker then” instead of understanding that some people genuinely can’t afford it? £50 can be someone’s meal for 2 whole weeks & it may just be unnecessary to waste that on something they can’t afford
I travel from London to Durham and vice versa quite frequently and only pay £18. But that's cuz I purchase tickets months in advance lol
How can you afford to pay university living costs and accommodation if you can’t afford to go to the open day? Do you have university bursaries?

Deggs_14 is ignorant and uninformed, don't be like Deggs_14

We can take out maintenance loans for that, and get a job to subside the loan, when we are there.
Not being funny, but university education is still, but only just giving the price of rent, both in halls and in the private sector, open to all.

Bottom line. If you have an offer, don't bother going to the offer day. Save up, and make freshers' week an adventure in Durham. Read everything you can from students at Durham. See if they have that chat to a student feature on their website, then go through the people asking about studying there if you have to take a job to subsidise you loans. Contact the Durham students' Union, and ask them questions about how working students are supported at Durham. In deciding where to go, if you can survive whilst you are there, go for the university with most kudos on a CV.
(edited 4 years ago)
I have an offer from Durham but I can't afford to visit it. The train fare would be over £100. I would take the coach but it is 7 hours so I don't see how it would be feasible for me to take the coach as I would be going for 1 day only. I have heard that the uni could reimburse my costs up to £100 but I would still need to pay £50 from my own money however I don't have the money to buy the ticket in the first place.

Have you already been to an open day for Durham? If you have then maybe it is less significant to go again, seeing as you already know the place? Also is it a university you really want to go to? Because if it’s like 5th choice and you’re probably going to reject it then there’s not much point in going. I’m sure there’s all sorts of access arrangements and financial support for students to get to offer holders/open days, I’m sure if you called them up and explained the situation they’d be more than happy to help!
I have an offer from Durham but I can't afford to visit it. The train fare would be over £100. I would take the coach but it is 7 hours so I don't see how it would be feasible for me to take the coach as I would be going for 1 day only. I have heard that the uni could reimburse my costs up to £100 but I would still need to pay £50 from my own money however I don't have the money to buy the ticket in the first place.

travel bursury? I know UAL offers it to people even abroad
Hi
Are you in 6th form? Schools receive a small amount of funding for 6th form bursaries. It is often not very well published but 6th form students can apply for a bursary for this type of thing from this funding.
Ask the Head of your 6th form or the Pastoral Care Lead in your school and they may be able to top up the amount that the Durham bursary will pay.

I would also contact Durham and ask if they have any alternative dates. It is possible that if you book onto a later applicant day you may be able to get an advance purchase ticket at a lower rate.
If you want to go on this day (and why would ask advise otherwise?!) - it is worth exploring these options.
Good Luck

You well and truly dont, you are patronising and belittling and have no comprehension of the true extent of social inequality. Cambridge social bubble is evident here
You well and truly dont, you are patronising and belittling and have no comprehension of the true extent of social inequality. Cambridge social bubble is evident here

Agreed and there was no point of being Anon to post that comment...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending