The Student Room Group

Should men have a say on abortion?

Scenerio: You got pregnant and your partner asked to keep it. You dont want to because youre not ready for the responsibility thus you decide to abort it. Your partner begs to keep it and promises that he will raise it as a single dad once the child is born, will you still abort it?

Scroll to see replies

I was never really a smart kid but i know that if its your body its your choice lol
No
The guy should have a say insofar as he should be able to literally speak to the woman, unless other circumstances make that a bad idea. But in the end it's purely the woman's choice.
Original post by Anonymous
Scenerio: You got pregnant and your partner asked to keep it. You dont want to because youre not ready for the responsibility thus you decide to abort it. Your partner begs to keep it and promises that he will raise it as a single dad once the child is born, will you still abort it?

The man is entitled to have a say in it but ultimately it's the woman's final choice; if she wants to listen to him that's up to her.

Ok, let's say men gave birth instead of women. Should women get a say in if their child should be killed before it is born or not?
Original post by peoplesguy
i was never really a smart kid but i know that if its your body its your choice lol

!! Say it louder for the people in the back !!
No, imo. 0 say.
I could give an opinion and advice, but final decision should be entirely up to the woman.
Reply 8
Original post by Johnny Tightlips
The man is entitled to have a say in it but ultimately it's the woman's final choice; if she wants to listen to him that's up to her.

Original post by anosmianAcrimony
The guy should have a say insofar as he should be able to literally speak to the woman, unless other circumstances make that a bad idea. But in the end it's purely the woman's choice.

Agree. It’s the woman’s choice ultimately, but the guy’s opinion should be listened to and considered by the woman especially if her reason isn’t related to pregnancy and childbirth but due to being unable to raise a child after birth and he wants to raise it himself (unless he raped her or was abusive in some way).
I think a lot of people don't realise that pregnancy itself can be an intense experience. I've never been pregnant but the thought of going through a whole nine months of pregnancy (going to lectures with a huge belly), giving birth (which looks traumatic) and then having to accept the permanent physical changes in appearance after having the baby (stretch marks, lose belly skin etc), it's a lot to deal with emotionally and physically if it wasn't something I wanted for myself.

So, long-story short, no. In that particular scenario, I would still go through with the abortion.
Yes abort it still, because he's not going through the trauma of pregnancy or childbirth. But you should have this conversation before even having sex.
Reply 11
As much as I really do hate those scenarios where a man would love to become a father and is willing to pay for everything and have full custody of the child but the woman decides to abort the baby as it's "inconvenient" for her, but ultimately it is the woman's decision. You can't force a woman to carry her baby. Even in countries such as El Salvador where abortion is illegal you often hear about how some women would throw themselves on moving cars to "abort" their baby.
NON VAGINA HAVERS ARE NOT ENTITLED TO EXPRESS AN OPINION ON WHAT WOMEN DO WITH THEIR BODIES
and that’s where this conversation ends

Yes. He ain't the one who's pregnant, I am
Reply 14

The current laws around abortion and child support absolutely stink.

This is what should happen: Either the man has a say whether or not the female aborts or keeps his baby, and she cannot legally abort it without his permission ...OR, if a man goes on record as not wanting a baby and the woman is allowed to choose have it anyway, that man is now exempt from paying child support.

it seems very unfair the way things stand currently.
If it's not your uterus, it's not your choice. Should he be free to express his preference? Sure, but if the only opinion that matters is that of the person who's pregnant, and if they don't want to keep it then that's their call
Hey everyone,
I think we've all come this a common solution on this one so there is no argument.

👍👍👍👍👍
As unfair as it is, I think the final choice should always lie with the woman. The man may well do a wonderful job of being a single dad and raise a very happy child but I am not wrecking my body for a baby I didn't want.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 18
There is an impracticality and some unreasonableness in a father expecting formal rights in this situation. However for me they have some right to seek to influence.
Original post by ANM775
The current laws around abortion and child support absolutely stink.

This is what should happen: Either the man has a say whether or not the female aborts or keeps his baby, and she cannot legally abort it without his permission ...OR, if a man goes on record as not wanting a baby and the woman is allowed to choose have it anyway, that man is now exempt from paying child support.

it seems very unfair the way things stand currently.

You're suggesting that men should be able to use the law to force women to carry pregnancies for them? Good golly, man, that's horrendous.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest