The Student Room Group

What happens if you are an inpatient in a psych ward?

For an eating disorder? Are you forced to eat?
They can't force you to eat in the sense that they are practically shoving food down a patient's throat, but they can drip-feed a patient if necessary. If you or someone you know is struggling with an eating disorder please see a doctor though! Your health is important!
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
They can't force you to eat in the sense that they are practically shoving food down a patient's throat, but they can drip-feed a patient if necessary. If you or someone you know is struggling with an eating disorder please see a doctor though! Your health is important!

Apparently they do shove food down a persons throat with tubes if the court orders it, I heard one case where this happened and the person tragically died.
Reply 3
I have an eating disorder and I was told if I don’t stick to my meal plan of 3 small meals instead of one large meal then I will be admitted to an inpatient ward. At the same time if I eat too much and stuff my face (which is what I have to do to gain weight) and feel bloated it’s not good as I suffer from digestion problems and I am at risk of refeeding syndrome. There is no pleasing some people.
Reply 4
I also can’t eat the same meal every day, it makes me feel sick, as it does with anyone. How can anyone eat scrambled egg every day for the rest of their life (Or the time they are under an ED clinic)? I need variety but my dietician just looks at me like I am mental.
Reply 5
I also gained weight by 0.7kg in the week before I last saw them. I don’t see why I am being threatened to go to an inpatient ward when I am still gaining weight and my weight is going in the right direction.
Wow that is complex. I myself am recovering from anorexia. I think the reason they still threaten with inpatients while you're on the gain is because they worry that the patient may not continue to gain after they are cleared. You are definitely going in the right direction though, if you continue to gain over your next few appointments they probably will tone down on the inpatients suggestion.

Also, in terms of tubes and drip-feeding, they will only do this against the patient's consent if the patient is literally on the verge of death or is deemed to not have the required capacity to make an informed decision- this is where the courts may step in. The patient who died may have died from other complications, rather than being fed from a tube.

However, please don't give up on your recovery- you can beat this! With regards to your meal plan, if you are not happy with it and you dietitian won't help, it is probably worthwhile mentioning this to your GP.
I work at a mental health hospital not on the ED unit though, but a lot of patients have feeding tubes. To try and encourage them to eat, they have set times e.g. breakfast (08:15 - 09:00), snack one (09:45 - 10:00), lunch (12:00- 12:45), snack two (14:45 - 15:00), dinner (17:00- 17:45), snack three/supper (19:15 - 19:30). Also, (someone correct me if I'm wrong), but in regards to forcing the patient to eat, a lot of the time it depends whether or not they're formal/informal.
Reply 8
I work at a mental health hospital not on the ED unit though, but a lot of patients have feeding tubes. To try and encourage them to eat, they have set times e.g. breakfast (08:15 - 09:00), snack one (09:45 - 10:00), lunch (12:00- 12:45), snack two (14:45 - 15:00), dinner (17:00- 17:45), snack three/supper (19:15 - 19:30). Also, (someone correct me if I'm wrong), but in regards to forcing the patient to eat, a lot of the time it depends whether or not they're formal/informal.

If they insert a feeding tube In me I will die
Reply 9

What the hell, that’s not nearly enough time to digest food, I don’t even get hungry after 8 hours and can go as long as 12 hours without food.
If they insert a feeding tube In me I will die

No you won't
What the hell, that’s not nearly enough time to digest food, I don’t even get hungry after 8 hours and can go as long as 12 hours without food.

That's because you have an eating disorder and don' recognise normal hunger cues from your body.
No you won't

That's because you have an eating disorder and don' recognise normal hunger cues from your body.

Well the person died from their rare illness and being force fed food, people with our rare illness (which the ED team know that I have) have a low weight compared to height anyway. People also suffer from indigestion so it’s not all in my head
Well the person died from their rare illness and being force fed food, people with our rare illness (which the ED team know that I have) have a low weight compared to height anyway. People also suffer from indigestion so it’s not all in my head

And there will be health professionals who are experienced with RSS and will be able to advise on what is and isn't OK in terms of feeding. An NG tube doesn't kill people - it is literally a tube that goes into your stomach. Just because one person with your condition has died whilst having one (and you don't know the exact cause of their death), doesn't mean that they are lethal. But if you want to avoid being admitted and being NG fed, do you best to gain weight in the community. Indigestion is a lame excuse, btw - a good 50% of the population have it and it doesn't cause them to have an eating disorder.
And there will be health professionals who are experienced with RSS and will be able to advise on what is and isn't OK in terms of feeding. An NG tube doesn't kill people - it is literally a tube that goes into your stomach. Just because one person with your condition has died whilst having one (and you don't know the exact cause of their death), doesn't mean that they are lethal. But if you want to avoid being admitted and being NG fed, do you best to gain weight in the community. Indigestion is a lame excuse, btw - a good 50% of the population have it and it doesn't cause them to have an eating disorder.

I have gained 0.7kg, and they are still threatening me. I ate jacket potato, beans and cheese the day before I saw the dietician, and she goes there’s a halal section and we can give you jacket potato beans and cheese there, i told her I am fussy, beans don’t touch my sausages, beans don’t touch my mash, beans don’t touch cucumbers and ketchup can’t touch anything either. I should have told her that I had beans and jacket potato and cheese the day before so I won’t have it now, I have VARIETY. No one eats the same thing every day, they don’t seem to understand that.

Next time I will just lie and say I stuck to my meal plan of having a scrambled egg and crumpet, rice and curry for lunch and dinner. Finished no questions asked, they won’t be so rude then. It’s like I am not even allowed to crave chips or fish fingers because of THEM.
I have gained 0.7kg, and they are still threatening me. I ate jacket potato, beans and cheese the day before I saw the dietician, and she goes there’s a halal section and we can give you jacket potato beans and cheese there, i told her I am fussy, beans don’t touch my sausages, beans don’t touch my mash, beans don’t touch cucumbers and ketchup can’t touch anything either. I should have told her that I had beans and jacket potato and cheese the day before so I won’t have it now, I have VARIETY. No one eats the same thing every day, they don’t seem to understand that.

Next time I will just lie and say I stuck to my meal plan of having a scrambled egg and crumpet, rice and curry for lunch and dinner. Finished no questions asked, they won’t be so rude then. It’s like I am not even allowed to crave chips or fish fingers because of THEM.

This post is just proof that you have an ED.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending