The Student Room Group

Maintenance loan

Hello. I am hoping to be accepted onto a full time adult nursing degree at Salford university in September 2020. I am 24 (25 on 11 October) and currently full time employed, earning £18,950 a year. I live with my partner who earns roughly the same as myself and we own our home, paying our mortgage and other standard bills every month. If accepted after my interview, I would drop down to working 1 day a week at my current job, earning roughly £3302 a year without overtime or special rate. This would bring our yearly income to around £22,252. When using the student calculator on SFE gov page, I come out at £9203 but then when I look on the maintenance eligibility, it says the max is £7,529 for living at home. But I’m guessing that assuming you live with your parents which I am not. My question is, based on my details, how much am I likely to get as I’ve tried to apply but it’s too early and I’m feeling quite anxious about the whole situation now as I just want to focus on doing well at my interview. Can you help me? Thanks
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Arty125
Hello. I am hoping to be accepted onto a full time adult nursing degree at Salford university in September 2020. I am 24 (25 on 11 October) and currently full time employed, earning £18,950 a year. I live with my partner who earns roughly the same as myself and we own our home, paying our mortgage and other standard bills every month. If accepted after my interview, I would drop down to working 1 day a week at my current job, earning roughly £3302 a year without overtime or special rate. This would bring our yearly income to around £22,252. When using the student calculator on SFE gov page, I come out at £9203 but then when I look on the maintenance eligibility, it says the max is £7,529 for living at home. But I’m guessing that assuming you live with your parents which I am not. My question is, based on my details, how much am I likely to get as I’ve tried to apply but it’s too early and I’m feeling quite anxious about the whole situation now as I just want to focus on doing well at my interview. Can you help me? Thanks

If you can prove that you have been financially independent for 3 years (or 36 months) before the start of your course then you'll be classed as independent.

Your earnings are never included in the student finance assessment of your household income. It will just be based on your partner (plus any unearned income you receive like rental from property or trustfunds etc). You're likely therefore to be eligible for the maximum loan amount.

Applications are now open so you can start applying ASAP - SFE will initially award you the basic loan amount and then bump it up a few weeks later once they have all of your household income information from your partner.

The "living at home" question actually asks if you will be living with your parents or living elsewhere/in your own home.livingplace.PNG
Reply 2
I’m assuming it will explain this on the site but how would you prove you have been financially independent?
Original post by Arty125
I’m assuming it will explain this on the site but how would you prove you have been financially independent?

Usually through sending copies of p60s or payslips or proof of income from benefits

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending