The Student Room Group

Only applying to University of Gloucestershire??

Hi, not sure if this is in the right place, but how difficult is it to get into the University of Gloucestershire?
I'm a (19yo) Dutch student and starting an Access to HE course in September. In September 2021 I'd like to start a Criminology course at the University of Gloucestershire.
I will be moving to the UK to live with my boyfriend as well so there is no option realistically for me to apply to any other universities since we'll be living in Gloucestershire.

Is it likely that I'd be offered a place at university after doing an access course at Gloucestershire College? Or too risky?

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Daniekie
Hi, not sure if this is in the right place, but how difficult is it to get into the University of Gloucestershire?
I'm a (19yo) Dutch student and starting an Access to HE course in September. In September 2021 I'd like to start a Criminology course at the University of Gloucestershire.
I will be moving to the UK to live with my boyfriend as well so there is no option realistically for me to apply to any other universities since we'll be living in Gloucestershire.

Is it likely that I'd be offered a place at university after doing an access course at Gloucestershire College? Or too risky?

Thanks!

Gloucestershire University is 99th out of the 131 universities in the UK. You should look at the entry requirements for your course, and there are likely to be admissions statistics too, on the university's website.
Reply 2
Original post by DoNotMove
Gloucestershire University is 99th out of the 131 universities in the UK. You should look at the entry requirements for your course, and there are likely to be admissions statistics too, on the university's website.

Hi, the entry requirements for Criminology are 112 tariff points / BBC at A-levels. At the end of my Access course the marks will be 'converted' to tariff points.
I just want to know if universities like that really reject people when they have the grades and a decent statement, since it's not a top uni.
Hi, the entry requirements for Criminology are 112 tariff points / BBC at A-levels. At the end of my Access course the marks will be 'converted' to tariff points.
I just want to know if universities like that really reject people when they have the grades and a decent statement, since it's not a top uni.

Thos ekinds of courses are very rarely over subscribed so you should be fine if you've got the right grades and a decent statement.

Why waste all that money on a very substandard university and course
Reply 5
Original post by squeakysquirrel

Like I said; I'm also moving there to live with my boyfriend who lives in Gloucestershire. I can't really go anywhere else because I wouldn't get a maintenance loan since I'm Dutch and therefore unrealistic to think about staying on a campus somewhere else. The other more prestigious unis like Bath and Bristol are too far away from Gloucestershire.

If UoG was substandard, it wouldn't be allowed to teach and give out degrees. I'm sure the courses offered and teaching are perfectly adequate. For some people, university is very difficult to get into and it may be really good if they get into a university like UoG. Many employers don't really care where a degree comes from, so long as someone has a degree, the right work ethic, and some experience in a job, so it realistically doesn't particularly matter.

Also why would you call the course substandard? Criminology is just important as many other courses.

They are not likely to reject you if you have the right entry requirements although for the cost, I would probably try applying to a better uni like Bristol or Bristol University of the West of England with a view to commuting since you won't have many contact hours on a course like that
If UoG was substandard, it wouldn't be allowed to teach and give out degrees. I'm sure the courses offered and teaching are perfectly adequate. For some people, university is very difficult to get into and it may be really good if they get into a university like UoG. Many employers don't really care where a degree comes from, so long as someone has a degree, the right work ethic, and some experience in a job, so it realistically doesn't particularly matter.

Also why would you call the course substandard? Criminology is just important as many other courses.

How little you know - universities all over the world teach and hand out degrees - many of which are not even worth the paper they are written on.
There are many universities in the UK which are substandard - those in the lower half of the league tables for example.

As an overseas student you pay more money - what a waste. A little more effort and you can get into a better rated university - Bath and Bristol are short train rides away
Reply 9
How little you know - universities all over the world teach and hand out degrees - many of which are not even worth the paper they are written on.
There are many universities in the UK which are substandard - those in the lower half of the league tables for example.

As an overseas student you pay more money - what a waste. A little more effort and you can get into a better rated university - Bath and Bristol are short train rides away

Actually I wouldn't pay more money since I'd be an EU student and they're considered home students. Also I feel like the better rated universities wouldn't want students who have done an Access course. I have looked at the Bristol and Bath websites and maybe it's something to consider.

I would say the degrees from all the universities in the UK are perfectly acceptable. And you seem to be confusing substandard and below average, which there is a difference between. This person clearly does not want to go to Bristol or Bath, and they're allowed to not want to do that - personally I don't think Uni of Bath is particularly good, though Bristol is quite nice.
Actually I wouldn't pay more money since I'd be an EU student and they're considered home students. Also I feel like the better rated universities wouldn't want students who have done an Access course. I have looked at the Bristol and Bath websites and maybe it's something to consider.

Or university of west of England - UWE - that has a very good law department
Reply 12
I would say the degrees from all the universities in the UK are perfectly acceptable. And you seem to be confusing substandard and below average, which there is a difference between. This person clearly does not want to go to Bristol or Bath, and they're allowed to not want to do that - personally I don't think Uni of Bath is particularly good, though Bristol is quite nice.

I actually thought Criminology at UoG looked more appealing than Bath. I also went to the open day and did like it

Unis like Bristol will still accept Access and it's worth a shot since you get 5 choices

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/2020/criminology/bsc-criminology/
Reply 14
Original post by harrysbar
Unis like Bristol will still accept Access and it's worth a shot since you get 5 choices

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/2020/criminology/bsc-criminology/

Universities can see what other places you've applied to right? So would I write a different statement for every uni I apply to? In my country we don't really do statements for all courses so I'm new to this
Reply 15
Or university of west of England - UWE - that has a very good law department

They are all kind of far away though. At least 1,5 hrs on the train
They are all kind of far away though. At least 1,5 hrs on the train

Utter rubbish. Cheltenham to Bristol 39 minutes.

Look you are not even in the country yet. Does the boyfriend have first say on where you live.

I would always tell someone to aim for the best university you can. It is a lot of money to be spending and getting a job after is hard enough when you have graduates from superior establishments trying for same job
Universities can see what other places you've applied to right? So would I write a different statement for every uni I apply to? In my country we don't really do statements for all courses so I'm new to this

No they can't see where else you have applied although you write one personal statement which they all see. And the average train time from Gloucester to Bristol Temple Meads is 52 mins (longer on Sundays)

https://www.thetrainline.com/train-times/gloucester-to-bristol-temple-meads
Reply 18
Utter rubbish. Cheltenham to Bristol 39 minutes.

Look you are not even in the country yet. Does the boyfriend have first say on where you live.

I would always tell someone to aim for the best university you can. It is a lot of money to be spending and getting a job after is hard enough when you have graduates from superior establishments trying for same job

Where did you look? On my google maps it says this: https://goo.gl/maps/Tvquz2DWnmAAkb5h9
So not 1,5 hrs but still over an hour.
He doesn't no, but I like Cheltenham and I wouldn't be able to afford to live on campus somewhere else. He can't move somewhere else because of his job.
Reply 19
Original post by harrysbar
No they can't see where else you have applied although you write one personal statement which they all see. And the average train time from Gloucester to Bristol Temple Meads is 52 mins (longer on Sundays)

https://www.thetrainline.com/train-times/gloucester-to-bristol-temple-meads

From Cheltenham to Bristol it's 60 minutes on the train and bus so not too bad, still I'm not sure.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending