The Student Room Group

Getting a car

I’m 18 I want everyone’s opinions on the best car to get for a first car? I want advice on mileage, age and type of car. Thank you
Hey, I have a Toyota Aygo (13 plate) n I love it. it is so inexpensive to run. I can usually get a long time out of my petrol, although I am a learner which means im driving tons but the mpg is v good. also, such a fun wee car to drive, I absolutely love it
Reply 2
Original post by christiejordanh
Hey, I have a Toyota Aygo (13 plate) n I love it. it is so inexpensive to run. I can usually get a long time out of my petrol, although I am a learner which means im driving tons but the mpg is v good. also, such a fun wee car to drive, I absolutely love it

Ah yes I will research that up and see if I can find one for a good price thank you :smile: I always wanted a little car for my first as they tend to be cheap
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
Was wondering around about how much was the insurance for Toyota aygo
Original post by Marnso
I’m 18 I want everyone’s opinions on the best car to get for a first car? I want advice on mileage, age and type of car. Thank you

You don't want to go near a car with over 100k on the clock. Cars with lower emissions are likely to be cheaper to tax (some even have zero tax), although this means they aren't usually bigger than 1.0 litre. As to type of car, what will you use it for? Would you prefer a 3 or 5 door car? Are you restricted in terms of car size?
Original post by Marnso

My best advice would be to have a real good think about whether you need a car. By the time you have paid for it, along with tax, and insurance, might you not be better off using public transport or Uber?

Don't be brainwashed by all the TV adverts. People bang on about air miles, but the fact of the matter is that it's people's love of cars that is well and truly butt-raping the planet. Most people simply don't need them!
Ok so here's some advice from a long term driver (who's helped family with first cars!).

First of all the car is actually the least expensive item for the first time driver..... usually insurance and running costs should be your first consideration.

To explain - cars fall in to insurance groups (find out more here https://www.moneysupermarket.com/car-insurance/groups/ ). You need to pick a first car that gives you access to the cheapest insurance - there is a MASSIVE risk that you will have an accident in your first year or two, every first driver has the same issue.

Now for cars for under 25's Fiat Panda, Citroen C1, Peugeot 107, Skoda Citigo, Volkswagen Fox are all good bets. Often they have the least amount of road tax (small engines) and they fall in to the best insurance category for a new driver.

The next bit all depends on your budget.... how new, what's available etc. So I suppose the next question is how much are you planning to spend?

R
Reply 7
Original post by PhoenixFortune
You don't want to go near a car with over 100k on the clock. Cars with lower emissions are likely to be cheaper to tax (some even have zero tax), although this means they aren't usually bigger than 1.0 litre. As to type of car, what will you use it for? Would you prefer a 3 or 5 door car? Are you restricted in terms of car size?

A car to just get me from work and back and I don’t mind if it’s 3 or 5 as it’ll be the first one. Thank you for the information I didn’t know some cars have zero tax.
Original post by Marnso
A car to just get me from work and back and I don’t mind if it’s 3 or 5 as it’ll be the first one. Thank you for the information I didn’t know some cars have zero tax.

https://motorway.co.uk/guides/best-cars-for-new-drivers

You will get stung on insurance though
Reply 9
Original post by David Getling
My best advice would be to have a real good think about whether you need a car. By the time you have paid for it, along with tax, and insurance, might you not be better off using public transport or Uber?

Don't be brainwashed by all the TV adverts. People bang on about air miles, but the fact of the matter is that it's people's love of cars that is well and truly butt-raping the planet. Most people simply don't need them!

Yeah I get that, but it would be a lot easier to travel to far places whilst carrying a lot of luggage. Also, it will get me to work better and home a lot safer when I finish late. A lot of people use cars for work
Reply 10
Original post by squeakysquirrel

Thank you very much
Original post by squeakysquirrel

Ah yes thank you for that :smile: I will look Yh through that now
Original post by Marnso
Yeah I get that, but it would be a lot easier to travel to far places whilst carrying a lot of luggage. Also, it will get me to work better and home a lot safer when I finish late. A lot of people use cars for work

For the odd occasion that you need to travel far with luggage you can hire a car, or take a cab for some of the journey. Over a year it will still be a lot cheaper than car ownership.

Yes, a lot of people use cars for work. Most could use public transport without it taking much longer. In fact, if it wasn't for these extremely selfish people (usually one person in a car) public transport would be a lot more efficient, and could probably be made cheaper. Car lovers are the planet's number one enemy!
Reply 12
Original post by David Getling
For the odd occasion that you need to travel far with luggage you can hire a car, or take a cab for some of the journey. Over a year it will still be a lot cheaper than car ownership.

Yes, a lot of people use cars for work. Most could use public transport without it taking much longer. In fact, if it wasn't for these extremely selfish people (usually one person in a car) public transport would be a lot more efficient, and could probably be made cheaper. Car lovers are the planet's number one enemy!

Yh that’s true about car hire actually never though of that

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending