The Student Room Group

Having trouble getting a trainee role

Hello, I'm currently having trouble securing a trainee role: I was thinking about paying to do an online AAT course. Has anyone had experience with these ? Is it worth doing ?
I have some money I could use to pay for it, apparently you can do them from home too.
I was just wondering as I can't apply for big accounting practices and a lot want you to already be studying for AAT or ACCA etc.
Or are these a rip off ? I assume I should take the highest level if I do ?
Cheers,
:smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Ostne
Hello, I'm currently having trouble securing a trainee role: I was thinking about paying to do an online AAT course. Has anyone had experience with these ? Is it worth doing ?
I have some money I could use to pay for it, apparently you can do them from home too.
I was just wondering as I can't apply for big accounting practices and a lot want you to already be studying for AAT or ACCA etc.
Or are these a rip off ? I assume I should take the highest level if I do ?
Cheers,
:smile:

Why can't you apply for big accountancy firms? Have you tried and if so how far have you progressed? What makes you think big accounting practices want you to be already studying for AAT./ ACCA (they don't by the way)?
Reply 2
Original post by ajj2000
Why can't you apply for big accountancy firms? Have you tried and if so how far have you progressed? What makes you think big accounting practices want you to be already studying for AAT./ ACCA (they don't by the way)?

Hello, I don't have 3 B's at A level and I cannot stand having to go to do group work in an interview setting when I am anxious, nor am I willing to do loads of tests to be given a fail once I do a video interview.
There are many small firms that don't care about the A levels but do want you to already be studying for AAT.
I'm just wondering if it's worth paying?
Reply 3
Original post by Ostne
Hello, I don't have 3 B's at A level and I cannot stand having to go to do group work in an interview setting when I am anxious, nor am I willing to do loads of tests to be given a fail once I do a video interview.
There are many small firms that don't care about the A levels but do want you to already be studying for AAT.
I'm just wondering if it's worth paying?

Simple answer - yes - it can be. Particularly for smaller firms or getting a first job in industry. I'm a big believer in AAT - have you got any local colleges which have courses? I've looked in the past but had trouble getting an idea of which if any of the distance learning courses are of a good quality. My broad view is that the courses look expensive, and seem to take too long for someone keen to get working.

A good alternative - which is way cheaper - is to do the first 3 ACCA exams (certificate level). Far more distance learning friendly and as this is the way most people take the exams you know you are not at any disadvantage.
Reply 4
Original post by ajj2000
Simple answer - yes - it can be. Particularly for smaller firms or getting a first job in industry. I'm a big believer in AAT - have you got any local colleges which have courses? I've looked in the past but had trouble getting an idea of which if any of the distance learning courses are of a good quality. My broad view is that the courses look expensive, and seem to take too long for someone keen to get working.

A good alternative - which is way cheaper - is to do the first 3 ACCA exams (certificate level). Far more distance learning friendly and as this is the way most people take the exams you know you are not at any disadvantage.

https://www.firstintuition.co.uk/book-now/?fwp_provider=acca&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIx_b_7MrW5wIViKztCh3yFggLEAAYASAAEgJzAPD_BwE Out of those ?
For AAT, would a Level 3 advanced diploma be enough ? (I can go to a local college for that one).
I'm unsure how difficult any of them are, but I've done a degree in Economics and it can't be worse than further mathematics lol
Reply 5
Original post by Ostne
https://www.firstintuition.co.uk/book-now/?fwp_provider=acca&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIx_b_7MrW5wIViKztCh3yFggLEAAYASAAEgJzAPD_BwE Out of those ?
For AAT, would a Level 3 advanced diploma be enough ? (I can go to a local college for that one).
I'm unsure how difficult any of them are, but I've done a degree in Economics and it can't be worse than further mathematics lol

the link you sent was for ACCA not AAT? Level 3 AAT is pretty good. Remember you are learning a trade rather than something highly academic. Double entry can take some getting used to but the course is set for people with a few GCSEs who perhaps didnt enjoy A levels too much and dropped out.
Reply 6
Original post by ajj2000
the link you sent was for ACCA not AAT? Level 3 AAT is pretty good. Remember you are learning a trade rather than something highly academic. Double entry can take some getting used to but the course is set for people with a few GCSEs who perhaps didnt enjoy A levels too much and dropped out.

Hello, yes I was wondering which ones you meant by the first 3 ACCA certificate exams ? is that AB MA and FA ? Accounting in Business, Management accounting and financial accounting ?
Sorry I am really new to all this, but as I have nothing to do with my days and I haven't yet got a job I thought I might as well study something that should help.
Thank you,
Ostn
Reply 7
Original post by Ostne
Hello, yes I was wondering which ones you meant by the first 3 ACCA certificate exams ? is that AB MA and FA ? Accounting in Business, Management accounting and financial accounting ?
Sorry I am really new to all this, but as I have nothing to do with my days and I haven't yet got a job I thought I might as well study something that should help.
Thank you,
Ostn

https://www.accaglobal.com/ca/en/student/getting-started/acca-qualification-structure.html

AB, MA and FA. You probably need somewhere between £20 and £50 to make a start. Google open tuition for free online courses. There is some guidance there about what resources you need. I think you need question bank book and maybe a text book. You check which versions are required but second hand should be fine and easily available.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending