The Student Room Group

Advice in going into Stocks?

Recently I've aqquired quite a interesting in stock marketing and brokerage and buying shares of a company as I live in a capitalist country, I was thinking is this a way I can make lots of money? Also, when going into some sort of business like this what would I need to get for my A levels? I am curious if the stock market is a good place for me to start and if I were would they be jobs for it? Also if I were to start my individual company for stock marketing and work alongside a job to help me keep the company going would it work? I don't know, what are some of the key things I want to be looking for before going into this sort of direction. My main goal of it is to make money to make more money, I don't really have a full goal, except making money. Any advice would help! Thank you for reading :smile: I appreciate it!
Original post by DarkEvader
Recently I've aqquired quite a interesting in stock marketing and brokerage and buying shares of a company as I live in a capitalist country, I was thinking is this a way I can make lots of money? Also, when going into some sort of business like this what would I need to get for my A levels? I am curious if the stock market is a good place for me to start and if I were would they be jobs for it? Also if I were to start my individual company for stock marketing and work alongside a job to help me keep the company going would it work? I don't know, what are some of the key things I want to be looking for before going into this sort of direction. My main goal of it is to make money to make more money, I don't really have a full goal, except making money. Any advice would help! Thank you for reading :smile: I appreciate it!

Go to a Financial Advisor - dont take advice from random people on the internet
Reply 2

Buy low, sell high.

Since the London markets are open 8am to 4:30pm then a day job would be difficult. So youd have to do the Asian markets unless you worked nights. Either way, it doesn't give you much time for sleep.
Reply 3
Also, I think you need to work on your written communication. It's terrible.

Don't do it unless you know what you're doing....the value of shares can go down as well as up and that's not just a saying
I would start by doing some basic background reading. You don't sound particularly interested in investing (it is not called stock marketing) - you only seem interested in making money and there are many ways to do that.
The stock market is a way to make money but also a way to lose it - take a look at the woes of Neil Woodford and his Patient Capital Trust. Hero to zero very quickly.
You could use your own money as a sideline but no one else is going to give you theirs to play with unless you have training, experience, regulatory approval, etc.
There are quite a lot of ways to build a virtual portfolio for free and see how you fare. The reading is essential though.
Reply 6
Original post by ReadingMum
The stock market is a way to make money but also a way to lose it - take a look at the woes of Neil Woodford and his Patient Capital Trust.

Neil Woodford made a LOT of money from Patient Capital Trust, tens of millions.
Original post by Quady
Neil Woodford made a LOT of money from Patient Capital Trust, tens of millions.

He also lost some people quite a lot so that is going to limit future career prospects- if he wants one that is
Reply 8

So to start with the obvious answer is that yes you can profit from investing via a stock market but answering whether its a good place to start requires you to be aware that you can also endure significant losses (the risk-reward ratio is something only you can conclude).

So on the career front the jobs are highly paid and limited in supply so you really want straight A's to be anywhere near the trading floor along with a degree in Maths, Economics or Accounting.

Investing in itself requires only understanding of accounting, current affairs and an understanding of the economic environment since what your doing in effect is concluding that a business is over/under valued and projecting its likely future. On the business front its more complex since the environment is highly regulated and you have access to financial products that others don't.
If you are investing in shares, be aware that you could lose all if the shares you pick plummet.
Reply 10
Original post by Kutie Karen
If you are investing in shares, be aware that you could lose all if the shares you pick plummet.

Can lose it all with any investment.
Original post by Quady
Can lose it all with any investment.

yup true

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending