The Student Room Group

Best interrail destinations?

Boyfriend and I are going away for a month end of the summer, we're way too excited tho & picking places to go already! But with so many options we don't even know where to begin! :tongue:

We're looking for a bit of a mix between big touristy cities and cheaper, less busy places :smile:

Any suggestions?

Scroll to see replies

A while back our group went 1st to Paris, then to Milan, Brindisi (heel of Italy) then ferry to Corfu. After week on the beach went to Athens. Then back through Serbia, Croatia to Vienna (which is a v expensive place). Then to Copenhagen and then back to England.

We ALWAYS travelled at night so we minimized hotel or hostel stays to save £. We bonded like mad and none of us will EVER forget it.

Have fun.
Reply 2
Original post by JohnnyHK
A while back our group went 1st to Paris, then to Milan, Brindisi (heel of Italy) then ferry to Corfu. After week on the beach went to Athens. Then back through Serbia, Croatia to Vienna (which is a v expensive place). Then to Copenhagen and then back to England.

We ALWAYS travelled at night so we minimized hotel or hostel stays to save £. We bonded like mad and none of us will EVER forget it.

Have fun.

Thank you! That sounds like an amazing trip, so many different kinds of places :h: We're thinking of doing similar, is Serbia worth it though? Did you have to book overnight trains in advance? And could you tell me roughly how much money you spent on food etc? We're really not sure how much to save up

Thank you so much!:smile: That sounds like a lovely trip and we're actually considering all those cities! Venice seems a bit overrated and not worth the money, we'd rather go to Florence or Milan if we do go to Italy. Did you find 3-4 days in each place was enough? How did you like Vienna?

Yep, we're not sure about Eurostar, especially since we're not sure we want to go to Paris and/or Amsterdam in the first place. We're hoping to go for about a month, but it'll depend on how much money we can scramble together :tongue: How much do you think we need to budget? We were thinking roughly £300 per week each, assuming we'll stay in hostels/airbnb, buy breakfast and lunch ourselves and go out for dinner at cheap restaurants/takeaways, do mostly free or cheap stuff, and have a bit of money leftover in case something goes wrong

We actually went to Prague together last summer but you're right, it's such a lovely place, we wouldn't mind going there again :h:
Reply 3
Thank you! I think we'll give Vienna a miss then, but then again it does look really pretty :biggrin:

I've been to Amsterdam once as a kid, all I remember is almost getting hit by a bike every time we crossed the road :tongue: Thanks for the tip though, looking beyond the weed and red light district stuff it actually looks rather lovely!

We're now thinking of doing Amsterdam -> Berlin -> something (Prague? Krakow? Vienna?) -> Budapest -> something (Slovenia? Croatia?) -> Milan -> Marseille and flying back from there. Thank you so much for all the advice!
Reply 4
not really an "interrail", but in one week i did vienna >> budapest >> bratislava >> salzburg :smile: i travelled via train and as mentioned previously, vienna was v expensive, but i thought it was worth every cent because it's a gorgeous place! bratislava was pretty lowkey and really really picturesque, we actually took a boat there and it's honestly just a piece of art! budapest was rly cheap but i found that i got bored pretty quickly (perhaps it was the hot weather haha) but it's worth a visit. salzburg was really touristy but as a sound of music fan, i HAD to go there!

Original post by nathan1403
Thank you! I think we'll give Vienna a miss then, but then again it does look really pretty :biggrin:

I've been to Amsterdam once as a kid, all I remember is almost getting hit by a bike every time we crossed the road :tongue: Thanks for the tip though, looking beyond the weed and red light district stuff it actually looks rather lovely!

We're now thinking of doing Amsterdam -> Berlin -> something (Prague? Krakow? Vienna?) -> Budapest -> something (Slovenia? Croatia?) -> Milan -> Marseille and flying back from there. Thank you so much for all the advice!

croatia is a must! i went to split, dubrovnik, and zadar. out of all of them i'd recommend dubrovnik because there's so much to do and see, split was more lowkey but very pretty. you can probs skip zadar, there's a lovely beach though.
Reply 5
Thanks for the recommendations!:smile: We both looove food, so knowing us that's what most of the budget will be spent on :tongue:

We're not travelling to drink but it would be nice experiencing some nightlife, so maybe we could have one big night out in Poland. We actually found this hostel online that does massive pub crawls for a tenner!

Hmm thanks for the heads up, we haven't really looked into travel times yet. Did you prebook all your trains or did you find you can just turn up at a station and hop on? I'm a big fan of planning stuff out myself but my boyfriend insists most of the fun in backpacking is the flexibility to go wherever life takes you or something :tongue: Those baths sound lovely, we do love a good spa day so we'll be sure to check that out, thank you :h:

Original post by mikela
not really an "interrail", but in one week i did vienna >> budapest >> bratislava >> salzburg :smile: i travelled via train and as mentioned previously, vienna was v expensive, but i thought it was worth every cent because it's a gorgeous place! bratislava was pretty lowkey and really really picturesque, we actually took a boat there and it's honestly just a piece of art! budapest was rly cheap but i found that i got bored pretty quickly (perhaps it was the hot weather haha) but it's worth a visit. salzburg was really touristy but as a sound of music fan, i HAD to go there!

croatia is a must! i went to split, dubrovnik, and zadar. out of all of them i'd recommend dubrovnik because there's so much to do and see, split was more lowkey but very pretty. you can probs skip zadar, there's a lovely beach though.

Thank you! That sounds like a lovely lil trip, we haven't really considered Bratislava, is there much to see/do there? Salzburg looks sooo pretty, I'd love to go, but my boyfriend's scared of mountains :tongue: Rightfully so, I do like hiking myself so I'd be dragging him along

Dubrovnik looks absolutely stunning, isn't it really really busy though?
Reply 6
Thanks for the recommendations!:smile: We both looove food, so knowing us that's what most of the budget will be spent on :tongue:

We're not travelling to drink but it would be nice experiencing some nightlife, so maybe we could have one big night out in Poland. We actually found this hostel online that does massive pub crawls for a tenner!

Hmm thanks for the heads up, we haven't really looked into travel times yet. Did you prebook all your trains or did you find you can just turn up at a station and hop on? I'm a big fan of planning stuff out myself but my boyfriend insists most of the fun in backpacking is the flexibility to go wherever life takes you or something :tongue: Those baths sound lovely, we do love a good spa day so we'll be sure to check that out, thank you :h:

Thank you! That sounds like a lovely lil trip, we haven't really considered Bratislava, is there much to see/do there? Salzburg looks sooo pretty, I'd love to go, but my boyfriend's scared of mountains :tongue: Rightfully so, I do like hiking myself so I'd be dragging him along

Dubrovnik looks absolutely stunning, isn't it really really busy though?

admittedly, bratislava's old town is quite quick to cover within a day and there isn't anything OUTSTANDING there in terms of things to do, but they have nice galleries and it's generally a nice place to walk around. i found a lot of amusement walking through narrow lanes and gazing at the buildings, and there's really cute cafes and restaurants (local delicacies are worth a try!). it's a very historically rich place and it shows!

salzburg is gorgeous, and i didn't find the mountains a problem! however, like vienna, there's a price for going in castles and other attractions.

yeah dubrovnik is sooooo busy!! my croatia trip was actually a road trip and we struggled to find parking! stunning but very touristy, so we'd leave our apartment early so we can beat the crowds, and we walked on side streets (which was very insightful!).
Reply 7
Original post by mikela
admittedly, bratislava's old town is quite quick to cover within a day and there isn't anything OUTSTANDING there in terms of things to do, but they have nice galleries and it's generally a nice place to walk around. i found a lot of amusement walking through narrow lanes and gazing at the buildings, and there's really cute cafes and restaurants (local delicacies are worth a try!). it's a very historically rich place and it shows!

salzburg is gorgeous, and i didn't find the mountains a problem! however, like vienna, there's a price for going in castles and other attractions.

yeah dubrovnik is sooooo busy!! my croatia trip was actually a road trip and we struggled to find parking! stunning but very touristy, so we'd leave our apartment early so we can beat the crowds, and we walked on side streets (which was very insightful!).

Thank you! Bratislava does sound nice and it'd be good to have a less busy destination in the mix to just chill out a bit, so we'll def consider that :h: any local delicacies you'd recommend?

We're going in September so hopefully it'll be a bit less busy then... Did you go there by car then? Seems impossible to reach by train :/

That's extremely similar to what we did. We flew to Milan, then to Budapest, Prague, Berlin, Amsterdam, home.

Best and cheapest by a fair margin were Prague and Budapest.
Reply 9
Food when you're travelling is just the best, there's so many local things to try!:biggrin:

I get that, solo travel seems like a great but somewhat daunting experience! That sounds like a good plan, though my only question is won't travel and accommodation be full/more expensive when you book just a few days in advance?

We've mostly been looking into hostels but they're honestly my perfect idea of hell, I'm a very light sleeper and uni halls have put me off shared bathrooms for life :tongue: Airbnb might be a much nicer alternative, having a room to ourselves with a bed that's not 5 ft long would be ideal haha

Original post by nexttime
That's extremely similar to what we did. We flew to Milan, then to Budapest, Prague, Berlin, Amsterdam, home.

Best and cheapest by a fair margin were Prague and Budapest.

Thank you! We've heard mixed reviews of Budapest but it seems like there's plenty to do, and it's cheap so why not :biggrin:
Hi, I though I’d reply to this as I’ve just spent this evening sorting out trains for our summer hols. We tend to do inter railing for two weeks at a time to fit in with work commitments. A couple of years ago we travelled from Budapest to Vienna to Prague. Budapest reminded me a lot of Prague except that it was less crowded and so more enjoyable. Vienna is totally different to Prague and Budapest, it’s more like a western city and was expensive as others have said.

Rome is also a beautiful city if you can fit that into your schedule with lots of interesting things to see. Berlin is great too.

One tip is that most cities have “free” walking tours that are worth going on. (They also have the usual paid tours, but these are probably out of your price range and the free ones are just as good). The tour guides expect a tip but this can be as much or as little as you like, a few euros is fine.They are a great way of finding out about new places and we normally do them at the beginning of the time in each place as the guides point out other things of interest to see.
Original post by Mosaic4
Hi, I though I’d reply to this as I’ve just spent this evening sorting out trains for our summer hols. We tend to do inter railing for two weeks at a time to fit in with work commitments. A couple of years ago we travelled from Budapest to Vienna to Prague. Budapest reminded me a lot of Prague except that it was less crowded and so more enjoyable. Vienna is totally different to Prague and Budapest, it’s more like a western city and was expensive as others have said.

Rome is also a beautiful city if you can fit that into your schedule with lots of interesting things to see. Berlin is great too.

One tip is that most cities have “free” walking tours that are worth going on. (They also have the usual paid tours, but these are probably out of your price range and the free ones are just as good). The tour guides expect a tip but this can be as much or as little as you like, a few euros is fine.They are a great way of finding out about new places and we normally do them at the beginning of the time in each place as the guides point out other things of interest to see.

Hi, nice to see you pop up on here as well :smile:

You make Budapest sound great, we absolutely loved Prague so a second city like that would be fantastic, thank you :biggrin: Did you think Vienna was worth the money?

Rome would be nice too, it's just a bit far out, also we're afraid it'll be very very busy and we all know one anxious boy who can't deal with that too well :tongue: Another idea we did consider is go all the way down Italy then cross over to Greece, but we'd probably miss out on Berlin and Amsterdam because our budget doesn't stretch that far sadly

Thank you, those walking tours actually sound really nice! We'll definitely look into that a bit more, thank you :h:

Oh noooo, that is a proper horror story!! Poor you! I don't get how people can go stay in a dormitory, knowing full well they're going to keep everyone up all night, and then just sleep like a baby :tongue:
Hi, nice to see you pop up on here as well :smile:

You make Budapest sound great, we absolutely loved Prague so a second city like that would be fantastic, thank you :biggrin: Did you think Vienna was worth the money?

Rome would be nice too, it's just a bit far out, also we're afraid it'll be very very busy and we all know one anxious boy who can't deal with that too well :tongue: Another idea we did consider is go all the way down Italy then cross over to Greece, but we'd probably miss out on Berlin and Amsterdam because our budget doesn't stretch that far sadly

Thank you, those walking tours actually sound really nice! We'll definitely look into that a bit more, thank you :h:

Oh noooo, that is a proper horror story!! Poor you! I don't get how people can go stay in a dormitory, knowing full well they're going to keep everyone up all night, and then just sleep like a baby :tongue:

We did enjoy Vienna and on that holiday the general consensus was that Budapest was the best, then Vienna, then Prague. I think that we had a different sort of holiday than you will though as we paid to visit attractions (we bought a Vienna Pass) and also stayed in a 4* hotel. You probably need to find out how many free (or very cheap) attractions are in each place to find out whether it is worth staying there.

Parts of Rome were busy but a lot of it is really quiet streets with small pizzarias. There are also lots of free things to see and areas like villa borgese are lovely to stroll around in.
Reply 13
Thank you! Bratislava does sound nice and it'd be good to have a less busy destination in the mix to just chill out a bit, so we'll def consider that :h: any local delicacies you'd recommend?

We're going in September so hopefully it'll be a bit less busy then... Did you go there by car then? Seems impossible to reach by train :/

it's a nice chill place! my mother had the slovak goulash, and i had potato dumplings filled with meat, served with sauerkraut and fried onions! i can't seem to find the slovak word for it, but trust me it's delicious! would like to warn you on the service charge though, honestly wasn't expecting it to be so much.

we flew to zadar (because at that time there were only flights to zadar), rented a car, and drove to split, and drove down to dubrovnik (and paying a quick visit to a small bosnian town called neum!), before driving up to zadar for the last 2 days. it seems very inconvenient, but road trips in croatia never get boring! the views are stunning and often we'd find ourselves pulling over just to look at the view.
Original post by Mosaic4
We did enjoy Vienna and on that holiday the general consensus was that Budapest was the best, then Vienna, then Prague. I think that we had a different sort of holiday than you will though as we paid to visit attractions (we bought a Vienna Pass) and also stayed in a 4* hotel. You probably need to find out how many free (or very cheap) attractions are in each place to find out whether it is worth staying there.

Parts of Rome were busy but a lot of it is really quiet streets with small pizzarias. There are also lots of free things to see and areas like villa borgese are lovely to stroll around in.

Haha, yep, we're on a pretty tight budget :tongue: Maybe we'll have a holiday like yours a couple years further down the line, if/when we've got decent jobs. You're right, and we're both more than happy just walking about aimlessly taking in vibes, architecture etc then sitting down in a park to chill out :smile:

That does sound lovely, and we're quite keen on seeing more of Italy since we've got this vague plan of moving there when we finish uni :tongue:

Original post by mikela
it's a nice chill place! my mother had the slovak goulash, and i had potato dumplings filled with meat, served with sauerkraut and fried onions! i can't seem to find the slovak word for it, but trust me it's delicious! would like to warn you on the service charge though, honestly wasn't expecting it to be so much.

we flew to zadar (because at that time there were only flights to zadar), rented a car, and drove to split, and drove down to dubrovnik (and paying a quick visit to a small bosnian town called neum!), before driving up to zadar for the last 2 days. it seems very inconvenient, but road trips in croatia never get boring! the views are stunning and often we'd find ourselves pulling over just to look at the view.

That food does sound good, can't wait to try all of it :biggrin::tongue:

Ooh no that sounds lovely, I love road trips and just stopping whenever you feel like it! We were thinking of renting a car for a bit actually, but I'm not sure whether we'd be allowed, my boyfriend's only had his license for two years. Did you like Bosnia?
Reply 15

That food does sound good, can't wait to try all of it :biggrin::tongue:

Ooh no that sounds lovely, I love road trips and just stopping whenever you feel like it! We were thinking of renting a car for a bit actually, but I'm not sure whether we'd be allowed, my boyfriend's only had his license for two years. Did you like Bosnia?

i'm sure you will be allowed! but renting a car can be quite tricky, if i'm correct vienna's car rentals were only manual, and my father only has a automatic license.

bosnia was nice! it was a very small town so it was literally just a 2 hour stop and go!
Original post by JohnnyHK

Have fun.

How was Serbia?
Original post by abcthe123
How was Serbia?

Pretty brilliant actually. Belgrade (or Beograd) as it's called on the railway timetables was a fun place - quite cheap so staying there won't break the bank. We stayed in Dorćol which is a bar type area. We got to Serbia in August so there is a trumpet festival in a town called Guča which was truly mad (in a good way). Lots of locals mixing with a few backpackers so all very boozy and fun. There's lots of history everywhere you go so brush up on the place before you go and you'll get a lot more out of your stay.

I honestly could go on for a while but to summarize - it's WELL worth a visit.
As you are on a tight budget, here are a few money saving tips that we have found from various European cities:

Eating out at lunchtime or early afternoon is usually cheaper than eating out in the evening. Sometimes it’s the same menu, but prices seem to go up later in the day. If you are only eating out once, then earlier is definitely the way to go.

Various museums and attractions offer free admission at certain times of the week or month. There are also free or discounted admissions for under 25s at some places (the under 25 thing used to be for EU citizens, so I’m not sure how brexit has impacted on this). These places will get busier during the free periods, but you’ll just have to see how you cope on the anxiety front.

Guidebooks are useful for this info. The Lonely Planet Guides have a section called “for free” and list all of the above for the particular city or place. They also have websites for the free walking tours that I mentioned earlier. I’m sure other makes of guide books offer the same thing. I usually get these from my local library but as the “for free” section appears quite early in the book, you can read these on the amazon preview “look inside” of the book and find out the info that way. I’ve just checked this out in the lonely planet Berlin book and found a whole list of things.

As you are travelling in the summer, the other things to look out for are free performances or concerts in the main parks. Again. I think there are links to them in the relevant guide books. We have seen lots of different things over the years from local music to Shakespeare plays and lots in between. It’s a nice way to end the day.
Original post by Mosaic4
As you are on a tight budget, here are a few money saving tips that we have found from various European cities:

Eating out at lunchtime or early afternoon is usually cheaper than eating out in the evening. Sometimes it’s the same menu, but prices seem to go up later in the day. If you are only eating out once, then earlier is definitely the way to go.

Various museums and attractions offer free admission at certain times of the week or month. There are also free or discounted admissions for under 25s at some places (the under 25 thing used to be for EU citizens, so I’m not sure how brexit has impacted on this). These places will get busier during the free periods, but you’ll just have to see how you cope on the anxiety front.

Guidebooks are useful for this info. The Lonely Planet Guides have a section called “for free” and list all of the above for the particular city or place. They also have websites for the free walking tours that I mentioned earlier. I’m sure other makes of guide books offer the same thing. I usually get these from my local library but as the “for free” section appears quite early in the book, you can read these on the amazon preview “look inside” of the book and find out the info that way. I’ve just checked this out in the lonely planet Berlin book and found a whole list of things.

As you are travelling in the summer, the other things to look out for are free performances or concerts in the main parks. Again. I think there are links to them in the relevant guide books. We have seen lots of different things over the years from local music to Shakespeare plays and lots in between. It’s a nice way to end the day.

Thank you so much for these, that's really helpful!:biggrin:

We're probably just bringing our student IDs and see how far they'll get us :tongue: I can usually handle busy places ok, but since we're going away for so long and seeing so many different cities I'm a bit worried it'll just be too much :s-smilie: really hate my own brain sometimes!

I do enjoy trips to the library so I'll definitely have a look, thank you! Would be nice to have some recommendations so we dont end up eating out in international chain restaurants :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest