The Student Room Group

Driving Without Lights

I recently passed my test and drove my new car back from somewhere tonight, unfortunately forgetting to put my lights on in a built-up area.
I honestly couldn't tell as there were LED streetlamps everywhere and hardly any cars on the road.

The issue is, I saw a police car at a set of traffic lights that had obviously failed to slow in time and partially ran the red (blocking the crossing), it looked as though they were trying to enter my lane whilst on the crossing before I'd even reached the red.

When the lights changed he turned back towards the other lane and went the other way, at this point I was unaware my lights were off.

I'm really bricking it over a simple mistake like this, I thought I had turned them on but obviously not and now I'm scared af that I'll get points etc. Surely if I were to face consequences for this stupid mistake then they would've turned in the open space at the junction and followed me to stop me?

Could anyone else share their stories if they've forgotten to put their lights on in the past and have been stopped/fined?
I was left Morrison’s car park the other day I forgot the lights as soon as I was on the main road got pulled over and fined.
Original post by Earthisround
I was left Morrison’s car park the other day I forgot the lights as soon as I was on the main road got pulled over and fined.

So if they didn't deal with my mistake there and then, they are unlikely to do anything about it?
Original post by Throwawayfeb2020
So if they didn't deal with my mistake there and then, they are unlikely to do anything about it?

If they didn’t pull you over I would imagine nothing will be done about it.
Similar thing happened to me today but I’m a learner driver my mam was in the passenger seat but it’s my car and she to didn’t realise that the lights were off. Police car was driving on the opposite side of the road, didn’t pull me over but just flashed their lights and then I realised. You should be fine they would have pulled you over if they were to do anything about it.
Reply 5
I have automatic lights in my car, so they automatically come on when it's dark. but my daytime running lights are LED. In the past, I've parked up in car parks waiting to pick people up and have turned off my lights to show in parked and not planning on pulling out or anything. But I've forgotten in the past to put them back on, due to my LED daytime running lights being on, it always looked like my lights were on, so as I've noticed, ive always put them back on.
Yeah, the police probably saw and thought that there were lights everywhere and once you were in a dark spot, you would realise anyway. Or, the alternative explanation is that they were too lazy to do anything. 😂
Original post by 5hyl33n
Yeah, the police probably saw and thought that there were lights everywhere and once you were in a dark spot, you would realise anyway. Or, the alternative explanation is that they were too lazy to do anything. 😂

Well, the police car I saw had run a red light, completing obstructing the crossing and facing diagonally across, over into the lane I was in. I wondered if they ignored it purely because they had made quite a big goof themselves.
Reply 8
If they didn't pull you over you won't hear any more about it. They have enough to do without trawling through the car footage just to find things like that.
Reply 9
Slightly different situation in that I had a rear tail light that I hadn't realised wasn't working (bulb had gone) and got pulled over, the police were super nice about it and just told me to get it changed, no fine or anything.

I would have thought if the police had noticed and were going to do anything they would have pulled you over there and then because surely it's more hassle for the police to have to look up your license plate on their system, identify you and your address etc etc compared with just pulling you over?

I doubt anything will happen, and you've learnt your lesson to double check so no harm done :smile:
If they didn't pull you you're fine, but hopefully you learned from this.

I'm spoilt and have automatic lights as is pretty standard in modern cars these days these so personally no, I don't have this issue, the only lights that have to be turned on manually are full beams which obviously don't see a lot of usage in areas like mine that are quite built up and well lit.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by nevershear
If they didn't pull you you're fine, but hopefully you learned from this.

I'm spoilt and have automatic lights as is pretty standard in modern cars these days these so personally no, I don't have this issue, the only lights that have to be turned on manually are full beams which obviously don't see a lot of usage in areas like mine that are quite built up and well lit.

I really have no excuse either. I thought they were on auto, but obviously not.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending