The Student Room Group

Hand held speed cameras

Today I was travelling along a 30mph stretch of road at around 34-35mph indicated by my sat nav (my speedo over reads by around 5-6mph at that speed) and I encountered around 5 police officers, one was pointing a speed gun towards me. There wasn’t a police car in sight and they were standing under a tree near a junction. I slowed down to around 32mph on the sat nav and at that exact moment he stopped and then went over to speak with the other officers. I wasn’t flagged down and they didn’t look back at me after I passed. There was no traffic at all on the road ahead so it would have been safe to stop me. Is there a possibility I’ll receive something in the post or would they not be interested?

Thanks
Reply 1
Whilst you could get something in the post I think it’s unlikely if you were doing 32. Try not to worry about it.
Original post by Odd07980
Whilst you could get something in the post I think it’s unlikely if you were doing 32. Try not to worry about it.

Thanks, I’ve read online that they normally pull you over at the time unless it’s unsafe to do so. They might not have been officers they were in hi vis coats but I’m not sure.
Moved to Cars and Motoring :h:
Is there a possibility? Yes. Is it a big one? No.

I’m more concerned that you’re using your satnav to try and gauge your speed.
Reply 5
Speedo in my car is out but not by 5-6 mph until you get to 70 and then it’s about 4. Probably should take it to a garage to get it recalibrated or something because that’s insane.
Reply 6
You said there were around five of them? Probably a community speed watch. Police usually work on their own or in teams of two - rarely more unless doing a specific operation.

You'll most likely either hear nothing, or get a naughty letter in the post telling you to slow down and not do it again. Community speed watch teams have limited powers but I believe they can now actually give you a fine/points if you're a repeat offender.
Reply 7
Original post by _.jxmes.p.vv
Today I was travelling along a 30mph stretch of road at around 34-35mph indicated by my sat nav (my speedo over reads by around 5-6mph at that speed) and I encountered around 5 police officers, one was pointing a speed gun towards me. There wasn’t a police car in sight and they were standing under a tree near a junction. I slowed down to around 32mph on the sat nav and at that exact moment he stopped and then went over to speak with the other officers. I wasn’t flagged down and they didn’t look back at me after I passed. There was no traffic at all on the road ahead so it would have been safe to stop me. Is there a possibility I’ll receive something in the post or would they not be interested?

Thanks

Expect a nasty letter telling you to slow down. This was not the Police.
Reply 8
Original post by Nuffles
You said there were around five of them? Probably a community speed watch. Police usually work on their own or in teams of two - rarely more unless doing a specific operation.

You'll most likely either hear nothing, or get a naughty letter in the post telling you to slow down and not do it again. Community speed watch teams have limited powers but I believe they can now actually give you a fine/points if you're a repeat offender.

Are you telling me busy bodies from the community go round monitoring the speed of cars?
Given that you just admitted to speeding in their neighbourhood, I think they’re pretty justified in doing so.

And get your speedometer sorted for goodness sake. If it’s out by 5mph at 30 it’s faulty.
Original post by Admit-One
Is there a possibility? Yes. Is it a big one? No.

I’m more concerned that you’re using your satnav to try and gauge your speed.

Hi Thanks for your comment, I wasn’t using the sat nav to gauge my speed, I happened to be using the sat nav as I have never travelled in that area before. I normally compare my speed to the speed shown on the sat nav.
Original post by biggyK
Speedo in my car is out but not by 5-6 mph until you get to 70 and then it’s about 4. Probably should take it to a garage to get it recalibrated or something because that’s insane.

I was thinking that too, it doesn’t really bother me often but by 70mph it’s over reading by 10mph. I should probably get it looked at but the car is almost 20 years old and probably worth around £400 so it’s not really worth the hassle tbf.
Original post by _.jxmes.p.vv

Thanks

***Update***

Past the 14 day period and haven’t received anything. Hopefully this helps someone else in the same situation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending