The Student Room Group

oxbridge

Does anyone know what studying a social science related subject at oxbridge for a masters is like?

Also, does anyone have any advice for someone thinking of completing a masters there?

thanks
following
Not really, other than its quite different to being an undergrad there. They seems to get far less involved with college life.
Reply 3
Original post by nexttime
Not really, other than its quite different to being an undergrad there. They seems to get far less involved with college life.

I am currently not at Oxford, but I would like to go there for a masters. Also, why would people not engage in college life?
Original post by Ramiano4
I am currently not at Oxford, but I would like to go there for a masters. Also, why would people not engage in college life?

Not there for long enough. Not arriving with that first-taste-of-independence excitement. Often already having a life outside of uni. Most teaching away from college usually.

You can still eat in hall and get involved in the MCR and all that. They just don't seem as... enthusiastic.
Reply 5
Not there for long enough. Not arriving with that first-taste-of-independence excitement. Often already having a life outside of uni. Most teaching away from college usually.

You can still eat in hall and get involved in the MCR and all that. They just don't seem as... enthusiastic.

Do you have any tips for trying to get there for masters? Do I need to watch out for anything?
Do you have any tips for trying to get there for masters? Do I need to watch out for anything?

No, and don't know what you mean.
Reply 7
No, and don't know what you mean.

For example, do they put an emphasis on having a first class undergraduate degree to do a masters at Oxford/oxbridge, or should I prepare for an interview or entrance exam? Stuff like that is what I'm trying to get at.
For example, do they put an emphasis on having a first class undergraduate degree to do a masters at Oxford/oxbridge, or should I prepare for an interview or entrance exam? Stuff like that is what I'm trying to get at.

I'm just following because I'm also considering Oxbridge for my postgraduate, but if you don't have a first, you don't stand a chance mate. They'd probably consider you if you get a 2.1 from Oxbridge, but if you just went to an "average" uni and you don't have a first, it's very very unlikely that you'll get in. You need to consider the people you're competing against - it's Oxbridge graduates with a first, UCL graduates with a first, and just generally speaking hundreds of people who got a first. If you don't have a first and you haven't really excelled in something, you most likely won't get an offer. Just because there's so many people who are "better" than you.

If you get an offer, you still need to prepare for an interview though.
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous
I'm just following because I'm also considering Oxbridge for my postgraduate, but if you don't have a first, you don't stand a chance mate. They'd probably consider you if you get a 2.1 from Oxbridge, but if you just went to an "average" uni and you don't have a first, it's very very unlikely that you'll get in. You need to consider the people you're competing against - it's Oxbridge graduates with a first, UCL graduates with a first, and just generally speaking hundreds of people who got a first. If you don't have a first and you haven't really excelled in something, you most likely won't get an offer. Just because there's so many people who are "better" than you.

If you get an offer, you still need to prepare for an interview though.

I mean when you put it in that context I can understand it will be difficult, but the reasons and motivations for wanting to do a masters there is, well let me put it into a list format:

1. The incredible resources on offer
2. The connections to expert academics
3. The connections with students who are hard working, intelligent, yet also know how to kinda have a good time.
4. I know it is challenging, bright now I do not feel like I am in an atmosphere at my current university where I feel challenged, and I don't feel challenged because the content I learn (most of it) is not really new to me.

Furthermore, the above motivations are what is driving me to get a first class degree, but also try and get experiences to make me a much more rounded person.
I mean when you put it in that context I can understand it will be difficult, but the reasons and motivations for wanting to do a masters there is, well let me put it into a list format:

1. The incredible resources on offer
2. The connections to expert academics
3. The connections with students who are hard working, intelligent, yet also know how to kinda have a good time.
4. I know it is challenging, bright now I do not feel like I am in an atmosphere at my current university where I feel challenged, and I don't feel challenged because the content I learn (most of it) is not really new to me.

Furthermore, the above motivations are what is driving me to get a first class degree, but also try and get experiences to make me a much more rounded person.

Well that's great and all, but you don't need to convince me - you need to convince Oxford 😅
And if you're saying that your current university isn't challenging enough, you should get a first anyway?

Also - if you're just listing those reasons and you still only have a 2.1, that won't convince Oxbridge.
Reply 11
Well that's great and all, but you don't need to convince me - you need to convince Oxford 😅
And if you're saying that your current university isn't challenging enough, you should get a first anyway?

Also - if you're just listing those reasons and you still only have a 2.1, that won't convince Oxbridge.

Well currently I am only in my second semester of my first year at university.
Well currently I am only in my second semester of my first year at university.

and you're already looking at postgraduate courses? 😅
well, you still have a couple years, so make the best of them
Reply 13
and you're already looking at postgraduate courses? 😅
well, you still have a couple years, so make the best of them

So, I am a curious person at the best of times, and I would like to ask what university you go to?

Quick Reply

Latest