The Student Room Group

Any experience of working in retail at uni?

I've been at Huddersfield University for a few months now (first year) and have settled in really well. I've been thinking of getting a part time job for 12-15 hours a week but I'm not sure where best to work. Lidl reviews have talked about long work hours, having to start work sometimes at 6am, being put in all sectors of the shop (including tills), etc.

I've worked at Co-Op Food Retail from April 2017 to September 2019 so I know a lot about retail. There I tended to work 2-3 4 hour shifts on the main shop floor/sometimes the fridges but never the tills (aspergers and social anxiety)

I was wondering if anyone's had experience working retail at university? I know every store is different but I can imagine there's some similarities between stores in the same company. Near me there's a Sainsbury's, Lidl, Asda, Iceland, CEX, Wilkos and Tesco all of which I'm checking daily for jobs available.

I'll also talk to the career's advisor at the university but I just wanted to see other people's experiences or recommendations
(edited 4 years ago)
Thankfully no. I could not imagine myself in this industry. I think you should think twice before working in the retail industry.
I worked in retail on off through my teens. It's ****e. Honestly the only tolerable place was B&Q before management changed cos I made some good friends.

Unless you're gagging for cash look elsewhere.

Then again you might be a people person (ew)

Ref: worked at Go outdoors, Sainsbury's, B&Q,halfords.
Reply 3
Original post by Captain.boaty
I worked in retail on off through my teens. It's ****e. Honestly the only tolerable place was B&Q before management changed cos I made some good friends.

Unless you're gagging for cash look elsewhere.

Then again you might be a people person (ew)

Ref: worked at Go outdoors, Sainsbury's, B&Q,halfords.

Thanks and yeah, I wasn't a big fan of working at the Co-Op. Never enough staff, too monotonous/repetitive (always worked on drinks and sometimes backstock and the last 2 hours usually face the whole store myself) but the staff there are nice, a couple around my age. It's more I know how to do retail more than anything else and yeah, I'm not too desperate for cash but I'm still looking for a decent flexible job
Original post by DanF_2000
I've been at Huddersfield University for a few months now (first year) and have settled in really well. I've been thinking of getting a part time job for 12-15 hours a week but I'm not sure where best to work. Lidl reviews have talked about long work hours, having to start work sometimes at 6am, being put in all sectors of the shop (including tills), etc.

I've worked at Co-Op Food Retail from April 2017 to September 2019 so I know a lot about retail. There I tended to work 2-3 4 hour shifts on the main shop floor/sometimes the fridges but never the tills (aspergers and social anxiety)

I was wondering if anyone's had experience working retail at university? I know every store is different but I can imagine there's some similarities between stores in the same company. Near me there's a Sainsbury's, Lidl, Asda, Iceland, CEX, Wilkos and Tesco all of which I'm checking daily for jobs available.

I'll also talk to the career's advisor at the university but I just wanted to see other people's experiences or recommendations

Hi @DanF_2000

How are you?

Have you thought about speaking to the Careers team in Student Central? A lot of students think that they're there for final years looking for graduate jobs but they have a JobShop there and can help to point you in the direction of a part-time job which you might not have even thought about. :smile:
There's lots of information about what they can help with here too: www.hud.ac.uk/careers

I hope this helps - if you have any questions, please feel free to give me a shout.

Speak soon,
Harriette :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by University of Huddersfield
Hi @DanF_2000

How are you?

Have you thought about speaking to the Careers team in Student Central? A lot of students think that they're there for final years looking for graduate jobs but they have a JobShop there and can help to point you in the direction of a part-time job which you might not have even thought about. :smile:
There's lots of information about what they can help with here too: www.hud.ac.uk/careers

I hope this helps - if you have any questions, please feel free to give me a shout.

Speak soon,
Harriette :smile:

Thank you! I had a talk with them last month and they suggested me some websites to look at, but I can't seem to find any jobs/companies specifically recommended for students (some places like Lidl ask for 16-20+ hours a week, I can work up to 12 hours a week while keeping up with my studies)
I'll book another appointment either this week or next to see if they can help me a bit more :smile:
Original post by DanF_2000
Thank you! I had a talk with them last month and they suggested me some websites to look at, but I can't seem to find any jobs/companies specifically recommended for students (some places like Lidl ask for 16-20+ hours a week, I can work up to 12 hours a week while keeping up with my studies)
I'll book another appointment either this week or next to see if they can help me a bit more :smile:

Hi @DanF_2000

Yes of course, it's what they're there for. I'm not sure if you told them last time, but be sure to mention the amount of hours you're looking for. It may help to narrow the search. :smile:
I hope it goes well, but let me know if there's anything else I can do.

Thanks,
Harriette

Quick Reply

Latest