The Student Room Group

What to wear to ST1/CT1 interview - trousers vs skirt? (female)

Is it okay to wear work attire worn on the wards?
Or a full on suit - trousers vs skirt?

What about shoes - flats, heels? Any suggestions with links?
As you can probably tell fashion isnt really my area!
Original post by Anonymous
Is it okay to wear work attire worn on the wards?
Or a full on suit - trousers vs skirt?

What about shoes - flats, heels? Any suggestions with links?
As you can probably tell fashion isnt really my area!

I wore a dress and suit blazer because I feel better in interviews when I dress up. But I would say over half the people at my interview went with ward wear.

Personally I think its good to make a bit of an effort but you should still be comfortable
Reply 2
for any speciality or do some expect to dress up more
Reply 3
Original post by ForestCat
I wore a dress and suit blazer because I feel better in interviews when I dress up. But I would say over half the people at my interview went with ward wear.

Personally I think its good to make a bit of an effort but you should still be comfortable

what do you mean dress and suit blazer? someone else mentioned this at work, so like a work dress with a suit jacket?
heels/ no heels?
Original post by Anonymous
what do you mean dress and suit blazer? someone else mentioned this at work, so like a work dress with a suit jacket?
heels/ no heels?

It was a smarter dress than I would wear at work (it was expensive but one I've had in my wardrobe for a while).

I wore court type shoes with a bit of a block heel

I kind of think you're over thinking it. Wear something you feel comfortable in and looks put together. Medical interviews are very score based so it doesn't make that much difference

My personal opinion is you should always dress up for an interview. It shows you're making an effort. And power dressing gives some confidence ( I did the same in OSCEs). But like I said above, the majority of my interview wore standard work wear.
Reply 5
When I did CT1 interviews most candidates were in suits. I wore a suit (with skirt) to all mine, but smart trousers would be just as acceptable. Heels on shoes doesn't matter as long as they're comfortable and smart.
Reply 6
What did you wear to your med school interviews?

I bought a trouser suit for mine and have barely worn it since so would probably get whipped out for any further specialty interviews :lol:
Reply 7
Original post by Ghotay
What did you wear to your med school interviews?

I bought a trouser suit for mine and have barely worn it since so would probably get whipped out for any further specialty interviews :lol:

random trousers + top first time round, a skirt suit second time round
i have bought a trouser suit (weirdly its the same size as the skirt suit and from the same shop as med school interview ~7 years ago... dont fit into my old one at all yet the new size 8 is fine)
Reply 8
I wore a smart dress, dark tights, and flat shoes (I was pretty sure I would just embarrass myself in heels!). A few people went very smart, but I would say the majority were in smart-ish ward clothes. Whatever you wear, make sure you are comfortable, and bring a cardi/blazer/something for on top just in case it's really cold!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending