The Student Room Group

Struggling

I do chemistry geography and biology.

Ive been struggling with all 3. Particularly chemistry since i got a U in my mock. I was getting bs and Cs beforehand. I did...loads of practice exam questions. Since then nothings gone right and im really struggling with confidence in my work.

The school isnt helping , saying theyll speak to certain teachers due to singling me out in class. But she said to admit that im not doing well. That there may not be a reasoni guess.

I cant do that I have worked so hard to get where i am. And i know others in my school have it easy. Others have money for private tutoring , some are just naturally brilliant and dont care. Funnily enough the 2 best in chemistry have told me they dont care....great for somone who does.

I dont know what to do anymore. And im scared ive got no where to go. Everyone says ,"youll be fine" when they have no basis for that. How could anyone possibly know that? They cant.

If somone could tell my future im not sure id want to hear it. I just hope something is there
Do you know the content? Doing exam questions without knowing the content is futile. Also, keeping on repeating that you won’t do well isn’t going to help either. What do you struggle with?

I do Chemistry (I’m in year 12) and have been getting A’s/B’s consistently throughout the year so far if you want some help.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 2
Would you like to join my chemistry study group
Reply 3
Original post by 5hyl33n
Do you know the content? Doing exam questions without knowing the content is futile. Also, keeping on repeating that you won’t do well isn’t going to help either. What do you struggle with?

I do Chemistry (I’m in year 12) and have been getting A’s/B’s consistently throughout the year so far if you want some help.

Good luck :smile:

Yeah it was a everything we did so far test. Amounts , ionisation , shapes of molecules ,group 2 and 7 , periodicity , exct .

Thats what made no sense. I just seemed to panic
Reply 4
Original post by ISHxxxx

Yeah , cant do any further harm can it? :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by yankang.qi
Are you year 12 or 13? (just out of interest)
If you need any help with Biology and Chemistry, I am willing to help however I can. I am in year 13 right now and doing reasonably well and can try to explain certain topics/give tips to you.

Im year 12
Reply 6
Original post by yankang.qi
Quite surprising that you've already done a mock then. However it does mean that you have plenty of time to find out what's going on and work on reversing that.

It was panic. Im not very good at mock pressure , and as its a girls gramma school so there was tonnes. Plus the added agony of being bottom of class compared to girls who went to the school.

Everything just seems to keep going wrong , if i fix one thing something completely unrelated goes wrong. Ive stopped going out , doing hobbies, seeing friends , all i do is stay in and work.
It feels like its always going to go wrong.
Reply 7
Original post by Emelia2402
Yeah it was a everything we did so far test. Amounts , ionisation , shapes of molecules ,group 2 and 7 , periodicity , exct .

Thats what made no sense. I just seemed to panic

So we have a study group this week and we will be covering everything in topic 2 e.g. shape if molecules we already covered all of topic one
Reply 8
Original post by ISHxxxx
So we have a study group this week and we will be covering everything in topic 2 e.g. shape if molecules we already covered all of topic one

Ok great , wheres the group and how do i find it??
Original post by ISHxxxx

I would
I do chemistry geography and biology.

Ive been struggling with all 3. Particularly chemistry since i got a U in my mock. I was getting bs and Cs beforehand. I did...loads of practice exam questions. Since then nothings gone right and im really struggling with confidence in my work.

The school isnt helping , saying theyll speak to certain teachers due to singling me out in class. But she said to admit that im not doing well. That there may not be a reasoni guess.

I cant do that I have worked so hard to get where i am. And i know others in my school have it easy. Others have money for private tutoring , some are just naturally brilliant and dont care. Funnily enough the 2 best in chemistry have told me they dont care....great for somone who does.

I dont know what to do anymore. And im scared ive got no where to go. Everyone says ,"youll be fine" when they have no basis for that. How could anyone possibly know that? They cant.

If somone could tell my future im not sure id want to hear it. I just hope something is there

Hey,
Okay so firstly stop being afraid and stressing unnecessarily, you got a u in your mocks right? How does it even matter. A mock literally is 'a mock' don't take it so seriously. I get it that sometimes this whole feeling of people being better than you and you being all alone can get overwhelming, but that is something that we all struggle with on a daily basis. What you should start doing is - make a table (G=green, confident/A=Amber=Need to revise and R=Dead zone) and start picking the questions for the topics In your green zone from past paper and try to solve them on your own, once you do that it would give you a certain amount of confidence in yourself, after-which you would be motivated to move on to the next section - amber, you should now read your textbook and lecture notes, revise the topics by yourself and then attempt questions with the help of the book initially and then without the book. Now when you're done with almost 50% of your syllabus, for the most difficult zone- RED ZONE, go to your teacher and tell her to do those topics with you again or take the help of YouTube videos- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5R-lw6bnAEA&list=PLjKGeVMH_ghz6LqD_QYz1wDjMHz6cnUTU

See one thing that you need to understand here is that your school at the end of the day is a money making institution and your teachers too have a life of their own, some may be kind enough to do some topics with you, but some may just not care. You have to start working for yourself and stop waiting for opportunities and things to come in your way. Start taking control of your life on your own and stop being dependent on school, friends, teachers and people to help you. Cause if you can't help yourself, no one else can. Its not to late-start working and I'm sure you'll do really well. All the best.
Reply 11
Original post by ywbfcihwcjownc
Hey,
Okay so firstly stop being afraid and stressing unnecessarily, you got a u in your mocks right? How does it even matter. A mock literally is 'a mock' don't take it so seriously. I get it that sometimes this whole feeling of people being better than you and you being all alone can get overwhelming, but that is something that we all struggle with on a daily basis. What you should start doing is - make a table (G=green, confident/A=Amber=Need to revise and R=Dead zone) and start picking the questions for the topics In your green zone from past paper and try to solve them on your own, once you do that it would give you a certain amount of confidence in yourself, after-which you would be motivated to move on to the next section - amber, you should now read your textbook and lecture notes, revise the topics by yourself and then attempt questions with the help of the book initially and then without the book. Now when you're done with almost 50% of your syllabus, for the most difficult zone- RED ZONE, go to your teacher and tell her to do those topics with you again or take the help of YouTube videos- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5R-lw6bnAEA&list=PLjKGeVMH_ghz6LqD_QYz1wDjMHz6cnUTU

See one thing that you need to understand here is that your school at the end of the day is a money making institution and your teachers too have a life of their own, some may be kind enough to do some topics with you, but some may just not care. You have to start working for yourself and stop waiting for opportunities and things to come in your way. Start taking control of your life on your own and stop being dependent on school, friends, teachers and people to help you. Cause if you can't help yourself, no one else can. Its not to late-start working and I'm sure you'll do really well. All the best.

Ill take your advice.
And since my last 2 bio tests i got a C and a B . So it has made me feel more seccure
Ill take your advice.
And since my last 2 bio tests i got a C and a B . So it has made me feel more seccure

The least you can say is thank you?
Reply 13
Original post by ywbfcihwcjownc
The least you can say is thank you?

Thank you , but you were a little rude too , i understand what u ment of course i do , and im grateful for your noting method. But saying i only look for opportunities and rely on others is unfair seeing as you dont even know my name. Sometimes blunt is a good method, and yeah it can work .For your information i do, i genuilnly do work for myself .

But thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest